PDA

View Full Version : Richie Florence In US Open????

03-14-2002, 02:01 AM
Does anybody know if Richie Florence ever played in a US Open straight pool tournament in the early 1970s.

I heard that Richie ran over a 100 balls in a game and did well in a US Open, but I cannot verify it.

If anybody has the records, I'd like to know how Richie placed if he actually played in a US Open. If it happened who finished ahead of him etc.

Rod
03-14-2002, 02:56 AM
Good evening Dr D, perhaps Grady may have the answer. I run into Ritchie in the 60's in the LA area. I know he played in some 14-1 opens or invitational's back then. What I wonder is where the open was played during those years? May be Johnson City for 2 years and then LasVegas. Sorry not much help, but it brought back a name from the past, and a darn good player at that.

Doctor_D
03-14-2002, 07:08 AM
Good morning:

Looks like someone is impersonating my screan name!

Dr. D.

Jay M
03-14-2002, 09:03 AM
Could be another person with a doctorate and a name beginning with D...

I don't think it was intentional in any event, if it was, they would have posted as Doctor__D or something like that =)

To the original question, I don't know, Howie or Brady would be the best people to answer that question.

Jay M

Q-guy
03-14-2002, 09:51 AM
The BCA US. Open was played in Chicago most years and I think a few years in NY. They had the Longbeach Open which I think Richie may have won a few times that was a pretty big tournament. There were a few Fred Walen Invitationals In Cal. From My recollection Richie was a hell of a straight pool players in those years. One of those guys that was a phenom as a kid with all the cockeyness to go along with it.

Rod
03-14-2002, 01:09 PM
Ritchie was a strong player. I never saw him win any straight pool tournaments, including Long Beach, but then I left LA in 69. I remember a tournament in N Hollywood when I watched him and Mosconi play. Apparently Willie decided that this young hot shot needed to be trimmed. Final score 125 to -2, from the allready retired Mosconi. Ritchie and Ronnie Allen were making their marks in the pool world. Allen, mostly bad marks, but marks all the same. I think Allen"s attitude may have rubbed off on Ritchie, because they both were real cocky.

Q-guy
03-14-2002, 03:29 PM
There was a story that Mosconi gave Richie the 7 ball for a $1000. a game and robbed him. I asked Mosconi about it and he said he gave the 7 to Richie as well as a guy called Nickie Vach. for a $1000. a game and beat them both. Although Mosconi confirmed this I never met anyone that said they were there, so I don't really know. Mosconi could be a little mouthy sometimes. I would still be interested if anyone out there who knows Richie could confirm of deny the story.

Q-guy
03-14-2002, 03:38 PM
There is another interesting story that Richie confirmed is about Fats beating him for $50,000 playing one pocket. Fats was getting a little weight. It supposedly retired Richie. A lot of people think Fats was some kind of a joke, but he could in fact play and really stand up for the cash. I have heard a lot of first hand stories about Fats.

03-14-2002, 03:42 PM
actually, it's funny richie florence's name comes up. last night i was reading one of phil capelle's books and he was talking about good rolls. in 1974 at the BCA 14.1 US Open in Chicago, Florence ran 105 to lead 105-12 against Joe Balsis. Balsis went on to win with a 138 ball run. During his run, he missed a break shot so badly that it banked 4 corners and fell into the called pocket.

Q-guy
03-14-2002, 03:52 PM
I don't doubt you read that but I was there and don't remember that.

03-14-2002, 06:48 PM
that's pretty interesting. well... i don't know if you have a copy of Play Your Best Pool but it's on page 370 on the bottom left hand corner. maybe he put the wrong year or something.

Q-guy
03-14-2002, 07:05 PM
I do remember some pretty good games in that tournament. I don't know why my memory seems so clear on that tournament but in one match between Jimmy Mataya(sp?) and Jack Breit. Jack was running out and missed a very easy shot needing 3. Jimmy was in the other room when someone called him back telling him Jack had missed. Jimmy put his cue together and ran 111 and out. In another match Danny DiLiberto missed a long break shot he should not have shot needing 11. Rempy got up and ran 137 and out. Danny had run 110 his first inning. In the final Jean beat Miko Harada 100 to 99. Miko had 99 and Jean had about 50. Jean played safeties and small runs to win. In the men's final Balsas beat Rempy 200 to 199. Rempy missed the game ball almost straight in the side. Balsas needed 17. After the miss the cue ball had gone to the top rail and Balsas made a long tough cut to get started. The one thing that stands out is, when Rempy missed, as he went back to his chair he began to faint. A girl got up and grabbed him, his girlfriend of wife I don't know and got him in the chair. I bet a day does not go by he doesn't think about that shot.

03-14-2002, 08:24 PM
I was there, saw fatty set the line catch the fish when Richie was very tired and did it quietly, if I had to guess it was Janscos 68 or 69 Johnston City, IL. BF

Ross
03-14-2002, 08:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: kimmel:</font><hr> that's pretty interesting. well... i don't know if you have a copy of Play Your Best Pool but it's on page 370 on the bottom left hand corner. maybe he put the wrong year or something. <hr></blockquote>

I just looked in my copy and its not there. Mine is the 1st edition - maybe there is a 2nd?

Ross

03-14-2002, 09:16 PM
yes. there is a revised edition that is much larger and more detailed. you're referring to the book written by Phil Capelle, right? it's a great book and if you ever need anything on the game i believe that it's the only book you'll ever need. by the way, does anyone know if the 1966 BCA U.S Open is on tape? I'm looking for Irving Crane's 150-and-out match. Thanks.

03-15-2002, 06:14 AM
Yea thats on tape.....I have it in my collection...I think its called the legends of pool or something like that....real grainy....the commentator does'nt know pool too well,but he's a trip with the old time lingo and all.....Balsis runs like 12...then they go back n forth with safeties....then SEEYA...150!....almost text book:)...you'll see...I've watched it about 6 times...get ahold of me and I'll sell it to you for what I paid for it.....$20 beans and shipping....I'm all for passing on the knowledge......Gerry

03-15-2002, 11:07 AM
He definitely played in Chicago for at least a year or two, Q. I saw him get one of the worst calls ANYBODY ever got, in a match against Peter Margo; he (Florence) put his bridge hand down on the cloth, a ball four feet away wiggled because the cloth was loose, and referee Conrad Burkman called a foul on him. He had just run the first 50 balls of the game and was well enroute to rack #5. Margo got up, furnished a 62 of his own, and went on to win. Might be the only decent break Peter Margo EVER got in a tournament. GF