PDA

View Full Version : Time Warp, and laminated tips STINK!

tateuts
01-20-2003, 05:43 PM
After laying off pool for nearly 20 years (to raise a family or two), I've come back and here's what I've noticed:

1) The best players are pretty much the same best players. Wow, was that a shock.

2) A lot of people are more concerned about the mechanics of the stroke than running out. I'll take running out any day of the week.

3) I absolutely fail to see why people like layered tips. I've tried them. They're 10 times the cost of a LePro or Elkmaster and half as good. Am I crazy? Does anyone else agree with me? Will I be assaulted by the tip sellers?

4) One of the best things to happen to pool is the vast schedule of local amateur tournaments. It's great to be able to compete and have fun without the necessity of gambling.

5) The other great thing to happen to pool is the widespread use of Simonis - it's great stuff.

Well, I guess I finally am an old fart!

Chris

SpiderMan
01-20-2003, 06:02 PM
Chris,

I agree somewhat about the layered tips. I've experimented with a lot of them in the past few years. Since I do tips I can play with them all on one stick for a somewhat objective comparison. For the most part, I do see an advantage in lack of mushrooming and/or flattening, but the price paid (other than money) seems to be that they don't hold chalk as well as a single-layer of similar hardness. The Moori-M grade that I had was an exception, it chalked very well. I've also seen a few layer separations in the high-dollar tips. These are subtle enough that you won't see them without magnification, and I suspect a lot of the folks playing with these tips don't notice the slight difference in sound when it happens.

After all my experimentation, I keep returning to the triangle tips.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> After laying off pool for nearly 20 years (to raise a family or two), I've come back and here's what I've noticed:

1) The best players are pretty much the same best players. Wow, was that a shock.

2) A lot of people are more concerned about the mechanics of the stroke than running out. I'll take running out any day of the week.

3) I absolutely fail to see why people like layered tips. I've tried them. They're 10 times the cost of a LePro or Elkmaster and half as good. Am I crazy? Does anyone else agree with me? Will I be assaulted by the tip sellers?

4) One of the best things to happen to pool is the vast schedule of local amateur tournaments. It's great to be able to compete and have fun without the necessity of gambling.

5) The other great thing to happen to pool is the widespread use of Simonis - it's great stuff.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

01-20-2003, 07:02 PM
Well, I can say that I've been very happy so far with my layered Hercules M tips. I like the hit better than the LePro's I had, and I seem to get a little better spin/draw than I used to. Only time will tell I guess, but so far so good.

David

L.S. Dennis
01-20-2003, 07:13 PM
Yeah, you're probably correct about the layered tips. The Le Pro and triangles were just fine before and are just as fine now. Some people just want an excuse to spend more money and think that they are getting something better.

I don' know what kind of tip that Mosconi played with, probably nothing nearly as good as a Le Pro and he still managed to run 526!

Troy
01-20-2003, 09:05 PM
From one 'old fart' to another, I can say that after switching to Talisman Pro layered tips I've been usng the same tip for well over a year and it still has its shape, holds chalk well and hasn't mushroomed. I never had that longevity with LePro tips and I find Triangle too hard for my taste. Then again, I install tips (among other repairs); however, most of my customers are similarly satisfied with the Talisman Pro tips. Oh well..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Otherwise, I completely agree with you.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> After laying off pool for nearly 20 years (to raise a family or two), I've come back and here's what I've noticed:

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

cheesemouse
01-20-2003, 09:34 PM
tateuts,
If what you wrote makes you an old fart, I guess I must be one too.

TonyM
01-20-2003, 11:28 PM
"I absolutely fail to see why people like layered tips. I've tried them. They're 10 times the cost of a LePro or Elkmaster and half as good. Am I crazy? Does anyone else agree with me?"

Sorry, but you must have tried the wrong brand of laminated tips. Some are dreadful. But the best ones (I prefer Mooris and Tiger tips) are far batter than a lepro or equiv. They last longer, hold their shape better, often hold chalk better, and are absolutley consistent from tip to tip. Unlike Lepros that vary wildly in hardness and quality from tip to tip even from the same box (I know, I've installed thousands).

As for the cost, it is a minor factor in the grand scheme of things.

Tony

Ward
01-21-2003, 07:41 AM
I use Moori tips, I have used other tips over the years and if you factor in the life of the Moori and compare it to the cost you pay then I think it is a good deal. I have had the same tip for the past 18 months, no mushrooming, no scuffing, no picking and it still has a lot of play left.

They cost quite a bit more but I think they are a good value.

Later
Ward