PDA

View Full Version : Would You Break-in Spare Shafts, Or...

Sid_Vicious
01-20-2003, 09:26 PM
I'm wondering whether to take the new out of 2 new shafts(3 total with a new cue) or maybe consider keeping them perfectly new(no active play time) until I've a need for one. I'd like the opinions here on that question. I doubt that I'd sell off the cue someday, but who knows.

Thanks...sid

Barbara
01-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Sid,

I had this discussion with a pool player last Saturday. He had a very nice Tim Scruggs cue with two shafts. He had only hit with the second shaft a couple times. I told him that I do favor one of my shafts more than the other, but I regularly hit with both of them - every other night I practice. Why? Because, God forbid something happens, and it has, I need to know how the other shaft shoots. Last thing I want another doubt line on is how the other shaft shoots and how the tip is.

Check them all out and when you change a tip on any one of them, make sure it matches the tips of the others.

Barbara~~~former BTTK, you namer!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
01-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Sid, Like Barbara I play with all of my shafts except one. Reason being I don't like the tip. Even though it is the same brand I don't like the hit. Since I carry three there is always a back up that feels the same. You have three use your favorite two and keep one new if you like. But like Barbara said it's nice to know you won't have to adjust just in case of a tip flying off or even a nasty ding. You never know what might happen.

Paul_Mon
01-21-2003, 05:51 AM
Sid,
My shooting cue is a Blackheart/Predator combo. The back up shaft is a 314 and you can not tell the difference between the two. I suppose the only difference would be the condition of the Talisman M tip on each.

regards........Paul Mon

Doctor_D
01-21-2003, 07:29 AM
Good morning:

I have Two (2) shafts with Moori Tips for my regular playing cue. I started using One (1) shaft routinely and exclusively for Six (6) months. Then, so that I could establish a balance of wear on the shafts and tips so that I would not need to replace both tips at the same time as well as developing a feels for the 2nd shaft, I rotate the use of the shafts on a monthly basis.

Dr. D.

Sid_Vicious
01-21-2003, 07:43 AM
I have one of the two extras in the case, it hit well dry tipped, better than the third shaft but that may be entirely due to the inconsistency of the stock LePro tip. Instinct tells me to re-tip but I think I'll use it as-is for a while. Still am not sure about using the 3rd shaft, Rod's advice will probably prevail, at least for a while....sid

dave
01-21-2003, 09:24 AM
I have a cue with two shafts that I purchased in the early eighties. One shaft was never used because I thought that would increase the resale value on the cue should I decide to resell it. Now, some twenty years later, the shaft that I played with regularly is straight as an arrow and the unused shaft has a slight warp in it. Both shafts were stored together all the time. The only difference is that one was used regularly and the other was not. I believe that, like any wood, the material needs to be cared for. I think that the oils from my hand over the years helped to preserve the quality of the wood in the used shaft. Blackheart replaced a ferrule on it a couple of years ago and he commented that it was the straightest shaft he had ever seen. Maybe the difference was in the quality of the wood used between the two, but I don't believe that. Anyway, I would recommend using both shafts. You can always take them in to be professionally cleaned before resale.

Sid_Vicious
01-21-2003, 12:54 PM
"You can always take them in to be professionally cleaned before resale."

Can they get a shaft completely back to it's same clean status? I'm not meaning to be pushy, I'd really like to believe that this is do-able, without an intensive sand down that is.

Thanks,
Sid

Fred Agnir
01-21-2003, 01:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I'm wondering whether to take the new out of 2 new shafts(3 total with a new cue) or maybe consider keeping them perfectly new(no active play time) until I've a need for one. I'd like the opinions here on that question. I doubt that I'd sell off the cue someday, but who knows.

Thanks...sid <hr /></blockquote>
I play with Schulers. I own three of them. Since all of them are 100% interchangeable, I have the luxury of keeping one pristinely unspoiled, and have enough spares and regulars to shoot with.

OTOH, I can think of no reason other than collectibility to keep a pristine new spare shaft.

Fred

dave
01-21-2003, 01:42 PM
I have had shafts cleaned by a cue mechanic before and they looked nearly new. I believe that with the cleaners and techniques available today it is not necessary to sand to remove discoloration from oil, dirt, chalk etc. Bleach discoloration is probably another matter though. JMO
My point in the earlier post was that even if you set one shaft aside, it doesn't guarantee that that shaft will remain in perfect condition. I also like to wax shafts because it helps to seal the wood and make the shaft slick and smooth when burnished. Even though you get some dirt buildup, it can be easliy removed with a light sanding that removes the wax without removing wood from the shaft.

dddd
01-21-2003, 09:06 PM
i use both, i dont pay much attention to which one is which, and i feel both are equal.
generally one will have more tip than the other due to it being used more this time.
when i need to put new tips on i take one and do it.
i always have the other to use until the other is finished.

i am quite comfortable with either and have no second thoughts using either for whatever reason or excuse i use.

TommyT
01-21-2003, 09:19 PM
I asked Tim Scruggs that same question when I bought a cue from him. He said use both shafts. That was good enough for me. I have four different cues with numerous shafts and I look forward to using them all. In fact I get excited thinking about switching from one cue to the next.

TommyT

Ralph S.
01-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Easy answer here, break em in and use em. You need to know how they play and feel and also that is why you got the 2nd shaft in the first place. Correct?
Ralph S.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-21-2003, 09:44 PM
The biggest reason I learned to put on my own tips, was because I didn't like being without a playing cue for the time it took to get it to the repairman, and then get it back.. sometimes it would take over a week..depending on his other work....

I also find that a cue with two shafts usually has a higher resale value..

I have two shafts.. on my new Pete Omen Cue.. and have been playing with just one.. the other is in the process of gettnig a new Talisman Pro hard tip..

Eric.
01-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Hi Sid,

I'm a little late on this thread but...

I like to play both shafts. I have both shafts prepped the same way, with the same tips and I wil play with one until the tip needs reshaping. At that point, I'll reshape the tip and switch shafts.

Eric

AndyG
01-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Hi Sid, I agree with most of the posters here. I think it's important that if you have to switch shafts, the spare is in the same condition as the one you usually play. When I was playing with my Szamboti (it's retired now), I alternated shafts every day, even in practice sessions. I've never seen 2 shafts more alike than those 2. This kept the tip condition the same on both shafts, and they always played alike. A biiig factor if you suddenly have to switch.

BTW, your table is still reserved.
Regards,
AndyG.