PDA

View Full Version : What grit sandpaper for your shaft?

01-20-2003, 09:40 PM
What grit sandpaper do you use to get that chalk and oil residue off your shaft? I think I heard 600.

01-20-2003, 09:48 PM
600 seems a bit course to me. Actually I don't use sandpapaer at all, but if I did it would be at least 1000 grit -- I've known some to use 2000 grit papers.

David

L.S. Dennis
01-20-2003, 11:16 PM
regarding sandpaper, 600 is fine to start with, but then you should work down to 800 then 1000 to 1200 to 1500 and finally end up with 2000 grit. Some of these finer grits are hard to come by but if you go to an auto parts store you should be able to fine them there. At little cue wax wouldn't hurt at the end of the proceedure either.

TonyM
01-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Well if you absolutely must use sandpaper (I don't) then nothing coarser than 600 is the usual reccomendation. Many use 1000 or even finer.

I see no reason to ever touch a shaft with sandpaper at all! (unless you are smoothing some of the raised grain after a dent removal steaming, or a thorough scrub cleaning).

I always reccomend avoiding sandpaper and using a mild solvent to remove the hand oils and chalk residue. I use either lighter fluid or rubbing alcohol. Neither will hard the wood in any way or raise the grain, and are readily available.

You can also carry a small bottle of lens cleaning solution in your case. I

It is also a mild solvent that works very well.

Avoiding sandpaper keeps your shaft from becoming slowly worn down over time.

I havn't touched one of my playing shafts for years and years with sandpaper, and they are as silky smooth as you can imagine at all times.

Tony
-oh, and did I mention that I have no finish on my shafts?

dddd
01-21-2003, 12:26 AM
NO SANDPAPER PERIOD!!!

Rod
01-21-2003, 12:44 AM
Use denatured alcohol. Use a wet cue tip to swell dings out then burnish with the back side of 600. Then throw the 600 away! LOL If for some reason you do any light sanding stay above 1000. You can pick up 1000 to 2000 at an auto body and paint supply.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-21-2003, 07:56 AM
Tony,

Do you ever feel like we're all trapped in that movie "Groundhog Day" ?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pass
01-21-2003, 08:28 AM
Does anybody use those green 3M Scotch-Brite pads they sell for kitchen use? I thought I read in one of Byrne's books that they work well for cleaning shafts.

Thanks

Rich R.
01-21-2003, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pass:</font><hr> Does anybody use those green 3M Scotch-Brite pads they sell for kitchen use? I thought I read in one of Byrne's books that they work well for cleaning shafts.

Thanks <hr /></blockquote>
They are too course and will remove too much of your shaft. If you have a good woodworking store near you, you can find similar products in finer grades. If not, try online shopping.

Anonamus
01-21-2003, 10:07 AM
I have heard recently that some of the pros are spraying silicone on a rag and wiping the shaft with it. Apparantly, when you see them on TV wiping the shaft they are applying more silicone. Has anyone heard of this or tried it themselves?

WaltVA
01-21-2003, 10:08 AM
AVOID GREEN SCOTCH-BRITE LIKE THE PLAGUE!! I've seen two of my friends literally destroy shafts with them. One scrubbed a slightly inferior shaft so forcibly he took off the softer part of the grain and was left with deep longitudinal ridges up and down the shaft.

The other one used Scotch-brite lightly but OFTEN - sometimes two or three times during a match. He wound up with an hourglass-shaped toothpick - shot with it like that for quite a while, then took it out of his case one day and noticed it had developed a rainbow warp overnight. He replaced the shaft and tossed the green stuff the same day.

I carry small squares of 1000 and 1500 in case I have to raise the grain to remove a dent; otherwise, I never sand a shaft, just burnish with leather.

Walt in VA

Chris Cass
01-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Hi 9 ball junior,

When someone asks me this at the ph I tell them 80 grit. Then when your done go have a ferrule put on. LOL

Seriously, don't use sand paper at all. Get some white tooth polish and dab a very small drop on a tooth brush. add one drop of water and rub vigorously. The wip it down very quickly. The ferrule should look good again.

I suggest, you try and use new chalk and chalk with the cue more horizontally. Brush it on like a painting, while turning the cue.

Regards,

C.C.~~hates grinders and squeekers....

Tom_In_Cincy
01-21-2003, 07:49 PM
9 Ball Jr.

I only use 1500 grit sandpaper for emergencies. Like during play/match.. and the shaft is getting sticky.. I use a 2 inch square of it and just lightly rub it with the grain.. and only a few times.. its is quick and doesn't take hardly anything but undesirable oils and dirt off the cue.

Other than that.. I always wipe my shaft(s) clean after each use. I usually use a napkin from the bar.. I NEVER put any water on my cue.. WOOD doesn't like WATER.. except in very very very low levels.. (like normal humidity).. or to get a very deep DING out of the shaft.

TonyM
01-22-2003, 12:05 AM
Yes, I feel like it just keeps happening over and over...

Tony
-it's not a lesson unless someone learns something from it.....

Rod
01-22-2003, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I suggest, you try and use new chalk and chalk with the cue more horizontally. Brush it on like a painting, while turning the cue.

<hr /></blockquote>

CC,
Just so you know, I hold my cue at 75 degrees 40 Min and 30 Sec! I find that to be the best possible angle! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
01-22-2003, 03:30 AM
Carol:)

rackmup
01-22-2003, 06:25 AM
or:

"What's the best break/jump cue tip for my Instroke case and how do I take care of the leather with fine sandpaper if I use lighter fluid to keep my bridge hand from becoming sticky if the railbirds are woofing at me while I am using my "Pro" aiming system" if the music is too loud and my opponent is "coked up" but I need a three rail kick to pocket the nine but I foul instead. What's the ruling on that?"

Just funnin',

Ken

NBC-BOB
02-11-2003, 12:05 PM
I never use any sandpaper to clean with. Just a soft cloth with a little alcohol to wipe down the shaft. If there are any dings on the shaft I fill up the tea kettle with water and pass the dinged area over the steam.I don't recommend holding the shaft over the steam for long periods of time
as this may cause the shaft to warp.I've used this method for years and it seems to work for me.

Cueless Joey
02-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Get the Dr Z shaft pack. It's so fine, it doesn't take wood out of any significance.
http://www.cuesforless.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&amp;Store_Code=C&amp;Product_Code= DrZ&amp;Product_Count=18&amp;Category_Code=CueAccessories