PDA

View Full Version : "The Eyes Have It"

L.S. Dennis
01-20-2003, 11:10 PM
Nothing has ruined my game more than this business of the "dominant eye" suppose to be over the shaft while shooting. I grew playing with my chin directly over the shaft as the billiard congress of america rule says to do. It came natually and not from reading it out of the book.

Then came that Meucci instruction tape with Lori Jon and Jim Rempe in which they say that your dominant eye needs to over the shaft. Trying to switch over destroyed my game to quite some time until I finally ended up back where I started. Any thoughts?

TonyM
01-20-2003, 11:18 PM
Actually, a great many thoughts that I won't bore you with....

But it's like the old joke with the guy who goes to the doctor and says: "Doc it hurts when I do this, what do I do"? And the doctor says: "don't do that"!

I think that each player needs to determine the head position that works for them. There is surprisingly little actual scientific evidence that the dominant eye plays any significant role for billiards. Some players do need to put their dominant eye over the cue, some need to be centered, and many need to have their cue a bit to one side or the other. Ther appears to be no hard and fast rule to adhere to.

I think that advice based on a pooly understood theory is worse than no advice at all.

Find what works for you, learn how to consistently put your head in that position, and ignore what anyone else tells you!

Tony
-including me!............

snipershot
01-20-2003, 11:48 PM
I agree, do what works best for you not what somebody tells you works best for them. Every player has a different style that they feel is the proper way to shoot, I simply go with what get's me the best results.

Rod
01-21-2003, 12:10 AM
I agree with Tony. Once again instructional material leads another astray. You just can't take all of that info as carved in stone. It's possible your stance has changed slightly along with the dominant eye move. You'll set up natural with a little time. If not and it has you really messed find a creditable instructor in your area.

~~ can't believe something like that is in print especially from the source!!

Icon of Sin
01-21-2003, 07:35 AM
I have always shot with my chin directly over the shaft. the cue actually rubs on my chin when stroking.

Pizza Bob
01-21-2003, 07:46 AM
The key in Tony's answer lies in the last paragraph - in one word - CONSISTENTLY. Your head position plays a definite role in your aim. Different head positions give different perspectives of the same shot. It's like learning how much your cue deflects and knowing where to aim to compensate. You have to consistently position your head in the same position so that your aiming perspective is always the same. FWIW.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

heater451
01-21-2003, 07:57 AM
Like pretty much everyone else, I believe that "what you're used to/comfortable with" is best. However, now that you've spent some time training yourself to the alternate technique, you may find yourself missing, because you're stance is one way, but your aim is set for the other stance! (I found a similar issue while in a slump, a few months back.)

================

TomBrooklyn
01-21-2003, 09:33 AM
I never think about where I'm lining up my eyes over the shaft. I've just let it go naturally. I think it may only be an issue for left eye dominant right handed shooters or right eye dominant left hand shooters. Suppossedly, they have to stick their head a little further over the stick. Thankfully, I've never had to worry about it, and I have even avoided the discussions about it as I think it's too esoteric. As far as how high I put my head above the cue, I vary that with the shot, depending on the location of the CB, OB and pocket. Some shots are easier to see standing more upright and some standing lower. Thats what Jimmy Reid says to do and I pretty much don't think about that either. I just get down to where I naturally fall in place. =TB

Sid_Vicious
01-21-2003, 01:01 PM
I totally agree, and I found this out sort of by accident. I realized upon analysis of why my off hand game works so well that my head position was not bent way over to use the dominent eye. So I began to steer back away from that "rule of thumb" of having the dominent eye over the shaft and my "on hand" game aiming consistency improved. These so called gurus aren't always right, you gotsta question everyone in the long run...sid

tateuts
01-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Confucious Say: "Man who have dominant eye over shaft can't see you take cash from wallet!"

Now, let's dicuss how to twirl the cue on the forward stroke and an early release. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Chris