PDA

View Full Version : Process for cleaning shaft??

01-20-2003, 11:33 PM
What's the process for fully cleaning your shaft? Any reccommended tools?
Thanks.

L.S. Dennis
01-21-2003, 12:07 AM
Well assuming that you won't be doing this on a lathe, I would start with some alcohal and work up and down with a cotton cloth of some type. You might want to use some fine sandpaper (800 1000 1200 1500 and finally 20000) after the initial cleaning. A little cue wax at the end wouldn't hurt either.

SecaucusFats
01-21-2003, 08:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> What's the process for fully cleaning your shaft? Any reccommended tools?
Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

First get all the chalk off the tip with a piece of paper towel or a rag.

Next, get a clean terrycloth wascloth, rinse it in warm water, and squeeze it till it is just damp (not sopping wet). Place a little Ajax, or Comet, scouring powder on the rag and proceed to wipe and clean the shaft and ferrule. You will see the chalk and dirt coming off onto the terrycloth. (Alternately, you could use a product like Q-Clean which is also a chlorinated scouring powder. But, you can buy a dozen cans of Ajax for what one ounce of Q-Clean costs!)

If you are worried about using scouring powder, I know of more than a few cuemakers and cue repair guys who use it. I have been doing so for over 15 years and still have all my cues, with the original shafts, in perfect shape.

Once you have cleaned the shaft, rinse the terrycloth a second time in warm water making sure you get all the scouring powder and chalk residue out of the cloth and thoroughly squeeze the cloth again until it is just damp. Wipe the shaft and ferrule down once more using only the damp terrycloth (no cleanser)wipe it down thoroughly in an up and down motion with both sides of the cloth to remove any, and all, scouring powder residue. Now get a few folded-over sheets of paper towel and dry the shaft using a very brisk up and down burnishing motion, repeat this step with another wad of paper towel. Next I take some Q-Smooth sanding/burnishing slips starting with the coarsest grade (white slip) and aplly it in an up and down motion while turning the shaft continuously, next I wipe the shaft down with a clean dry old t-shirt or hand towel and repeat the process with the blue slip, then the green and finally the yellow slip. Finally I take a clean leather cue burnishing pad and rub the shaft up and down vigorously while turning it until it is nicely burnished and smooth and glossy. If you like you can use a little Q-Glide or Cue Silk (3 drops) on a piece of paper towel and rub it into the shaft in a burnishing stroke. Voila! You're done!

BTW,some folks like cue wax, I don't. Cue wax tends to get sticky and gummy after a relatively short while.

Fats &lt; Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.

01-21-2003, 08:35 PM
If the ajax towel removes all of the residue, what exactly is the sandpaper for?

SecaucusFats
01-21-2003, 09:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> If the ajax towel removes all of the residue, what exactly is the sandpaper for? <hr /></blockquote>

You don't have to use the sanding slips every time. In fact their use should be kept to a minimum. I do so only if the shaft does not feel sufficiently smooth after the initial burnishing. Thanks for bringing this up, I should have been clearer in my instructions. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Fats

01-22-2003, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the tips guys!