PDA

View Full Version : Shaft sanding / dents

01-21-2003, 07:41 AM
Hi there, I'm a 9ball player from the UK. Been lurking on this list for a long time. I have a question about sanding.

I just had my shaft redone a few weeks ago, dents taken out and cleanup, by a professional cue maker and low and behold I find a new dent last night that i must have picked up. Its very small, only a surface scratch really. I put a drop of water on it and the wood has expanded and then burnished with a 10 note. Now i feel a slight lump instead of an indentation.

I have bought some 1000 grit sandpaper (that was the finest they did), and my question is: is that safe to use on my cue without being able to go finer afterwards. Could i use that and then burnish it in my normal way?

Also should i do the whole shaft or just where the lump is? would it feel different if i only did a small part.

Thanks for your help, I have no experience in this department.

Jon

L.S. Dennis
01-21-2003, 08:48 AM
regarding sanding, if the water treatment that you employed has in fact left some sort of a lump, then I would opt for a light sanding to get rid of it. Assuming you don't have a lathe at your disposal, first be sure the shaft is clean then use some 800 then 1000 and if you can find it 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper running up and down the shaf until everything is smooth. A little cue wax at the end of the proceedure would be nice as well.

TomBrooklyn
01-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Next time use a 50 or 100 note. The shaft will appreciate it and not lump up.

Actually, I have never gotten a lump from using water to take out a ding. I apply it with a cotton swab (Q-tip) and am able to control with decent precision where and how much water gets applied. I'm thinking the lump might go away in a few days on it's own as the moisture content of the wood returns to normal ambient humidity and the swelling subsides. =TB

SPetty
01-21-2003, 11:34 AM
I agree with TomBrooklyn to give it a little time before doing anything. The lump may go away when the moisture content equalizes. However, if the lump remains, you may try smoothing it down with glass rather than sanding the wood away. There is a glass rod sold expressly for this purpose somewhere, or you might use a shot glass of some kind. Be careful and don't press too hart, but rub the glass up and down on the shaft. I haven't actually done this, but I've "heard" it described on this board. Perhaps others can provide additional details. It just seems to me to make more sense to leave the wood there rather than remove it, if at all possible.