PDA

View Full Version : another story at last...

marek
01-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi people!
I am back and I bring you another story of my journey to pool stardom... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif On Saturday there was a first division 9-ball tournament. 32 players, race to 9, shortened double elim. format (last 16 single elim.) I should mention that there are 3 of those tournaments in each discipline (8,9,14) through the whole season and they serve as a qualification for national championship for each discipline. Only the best 16 advance to the nationals. I have never been better than 9th in first division 9ball tourny...
I got pretty good start in the tournament as I rolled over my first opponent 9:3. My next opponent was to be something really different, he is among top 5 in my country for last 8 years... the fact is that he is quite mentally unstable (something like Earl Strickland to get the picture /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) and I have won few times with him. Well....this time it wasnt his lucky day as I never let him to the table with open shot for him so when it was 6:0 he stood up and gave up the match....well...what to say...he couldnt stand the heat... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My next opponent was 14 years old boy who is quite gifted in potting the balls and his father is supporting him like hell which makes nice combination for future champion. He already won 2 gold medals in junior nationals last year in the age of 13!!! But I played MY game so I won 9:4 with no chance for him to win the match. So I advanced into the last 8 which was my biggest success in first division 9ball tournament at the moment...well....AT THE MOMENT...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My opponent for the quarterfinals was steady player with no nerves at all and superb safety play. But I got into the early lead 6:2 and all seemed really good for me...but a superb shot from his side helped him to take control over the table and he gave me the chance to take it back at 6:5. Fortunatelly I capitalized on this opportunity and I won 9:6. Pretty tough match indeed! In the semifinals I got opponent which was real upset as nobody expected him to advance so far in the tournament. Well I made few stupid positional mistakes at the beggining of the match which he capitalized on as he turned out to be total offensive storm with barrage of table-lenght cutshots and across the table 45 degree combos... I was leaking 1:5 so I decided to take time-out. Well..the trip to the toilets and some stretching excercises did wonders to my game as I gave him only one opportunity to score in the rest of the match!!! So the final score was 9:6. In the finals you cant expect noone but the best. So was my opponent. He is without any hesitation the best and the most successful player in Czech history with more then 10 nationals titles in all disciplines and with 17-th place in 2001 9-ball World championship. We exchanged 2 runouts at the beggining of the match. As I was finishing my 3rd runout I scratched in the middle while making position on easy 9....so instead of leading 3:2 I was leaking 2:3...He breaks and he makes the 9 from the break - 2:4.he breaks and he makes 4 balls from the break and runs out - 2:5. He breaks and nothing goes in. I am watching the layout and I decided to take timeout again. After my return from the toilet I proceed to make VERY careful runout - 3:5. I break and one ball goes in. The layout is easy so I make another runout - 4:5. I break but nothing goes in. he plays safety. I take jump-cue and I succesfully hit the ball with leaving another safety for him. He kicks and I go to the table with another safety to solve. I jump again leaving tough shot for him. But hes really great player so he makes it and proceeds to another run out - 4:6. He breaks and two balls go in. He pushes. I go for the kick shot which i amazingly make (supposed to be safety as I didnt expect to make it - on the other hand I aimed for the pocket as I made already 6 of those kickshots on this day!) Then I run-out - 5:6. I break and one ball goes in. the layout was hard so I decided to make safety on 5. He kicks but misses which helped me to get another point - 6:6. I break and two balls go in. Another hard layout. In this game we both played 6 safeties which makes total of 12 safeties in one game! I must admit that two of my safeties were VERY lucky as the cueball found its hiding place behind the ball I havent planned... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Finally he leaves me open table and I am able to make it - 7:6. I break and nothing goes in. Seemingly easy layout. He rushes to the table and makes the balls in quick pace. But he makes bad position as he accidentally runs the cueball in another ball. so he plays safety. He leaves me cueball near corner pocket with object ball across the table one and half diamond from the pocket + there was 9 next to the OB. So I decided to pot the OB with cueball to stop off the 9. I perfectly make the object ball with nice followthrough...AND whitey stops off the nine which goes in too!!! 8-6 I break but nothing goes in and my opponent runs out - 8:7. He breaks and one ball goes in. But the layout is bad so he plays safety. I return him with the position which I call "from the mud to the [censored]" so he has to kick which he does perfectly so I have to kick too. I hit the ball successfully and I leave him cb on short bank and ob on the other. He goes for the bankshot but he double kiss the ob which goes into the middle pocket!!! disgusting... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif he proceeds to an easy end but miraculously rattles the 7 in the jaws of pocket!!! well...the layout was REALLY easy! But when you have heartbeat rate around 170 per minute anything can go wrong... well.......what do you think? Did I miss or did I succeded? I pot the 7 with perfect possition on 8. Everything I need is to pot the 8 with little follow.....and I make it......one ball on the table....stopshot position....9ball one foot from the pocket...cueball one and half foot from the 9.......holy cow! I.................MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man...I can hardly describe the feeling....mixture of relieve and extasy...for the first time in my whole life I cried out of happiness (well not in front of the people....I had a towel hidding my eyes /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) People this is the feeling I will never forget for the rest of my life and even though there may be greater victories ahead of me this one is really special...
In the overall standings I advanced from 12-th place to 3-rd which gives me greater chance for easier opponent in the nationals + I was the only player to beat this guy in the whole season in 9ball which makes my victory even more pleasant... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanx a lot for your support of my cause! Hopefully there will be many more stories like this one to tell.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Enjoy life as much as you can, its the way you can reach your dreams!

Wally_in_Cincy
01-21-2003, 10:13 AM
First, mucho congratulations. Sounds like you are playing like a champ.
============================================
quote Marek:
<font color="blue">He is without any hesitation the best and the most successful player in Czech history with more then 10 nationals titles in all disciplines and with 17-th place in 2001 9-ball World championship.</font color>

Care to share a name? Just curious.

Wally~~thinks Marek is the man....

Rich R.
01-21-2003, 11:01 AM
That is a great story Marek.
Congratulations on your victory. Keep up the good work.

Kato
01-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Sounds like a great tournament for you Marek. All the hard work is paying off huh? Keep working at it. Can't wait to see your name in lights.

Kato~~~echos Wally's want to know about Marek's tough foe.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-21-2003, 12:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> .....want to know about Marek's tough foe. <hr /></blockquote>

Lukas Krenek (CZE) 17-32 in WPC 2001

HOWARD
01-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Marek,

Sounds like you have a lot of heart. I expect we will see you in the big tournments doing well very shortly.

I thank you for sharing. I do not wish you luck because it sounds like you make your own.

Best Regards,

Howard

01-21-2003, 08:48 PM
That's truly an interesting and inspiring story and I hope I can enjoy the same success. Congratulations! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PQQLK9
01-21-2003, 09:03 PM
Congragulations to you Marek and thanks for another nice story.I feel like I watched the match.

snipershot
01-22-2003, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the great story marek, it sounds like your a very gifted player, good luck at nationals!

Rod
01-22-2003, 01:49 AM
Hi Marek,
All that countless time and effort is starting to kick in. Great review of the tournament, Im sure your heart was pounding a bit. It's good to note a couple of lucky rolls, just so you know there is a little luck and not always skill. I'm glad you won and good luck at the nationals. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

marek
01-22-2003, 02:32 AM
Not quite sure if you want to know the name of my opponent or my name so I tell them both:
the name of my opponent is Lukas Krenek (you can find him in AZBilliards player finder), my name is Marek Hajdovsky (I am quite sure you wont find my name in any pool player finder right now... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

marek
01-22-2003, 02:38 AM
Thank you very much!

"You CAN change your stars!"

marek
01-22-2003, 03:42 AM
Thx a lot Rich!

marek
01-22-2003, 03:43 AM
Yeah..hard work is paying off.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

marek
01-22-2003, 03:46 AM
Anyone can if he or she works hard enough...but you need at least a bit of good luck too....

marek
01-22-2003, 03:47 AM
i am happy you enjoyed the story... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

marek
01-22-2003, 03:51 AM
I dont think I am VERY gifted, not in the game itself...but fellow players often tell me that I am gifted in the way I endure the practice of very difficult drills.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

marek
01-22-2003, 03:53 AM
You can bet my heart was pounding!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2003, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> Not quite sure if you want to know the name of my opponent or my name so I tell them both:
the name of my opponent is Lukas Krenek (you can find him in AZBilliards player finder), my name is <font color="red"> Marek Hajdovsky (I am quite sure you wont find my name in any pool player finder right now... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

http://www.epbf.com/sportsite/2002/opentornooi/bestofeast/PolishOpen.htm

Ranked #27. Babica and Tot watch out for Marek /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

cheesemouse
01-22-2003, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> You can bet my heart was pounding!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not only impressed with your large pounding heart but your command of the English language.

marek
01-22-2003, 09:08 AM
WOW! You found me!!! Damn.... And I though I would remain anonymous..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2003, 09:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> WOW! You found me!!! Damn.... And I though I would remain anonymous..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You're all over the place dude.

http://www.sportplanet.com/vp3/tourneys/pl_details.asp?ID=28

http://www.balabuska.cz/turnaj_infol.htm (number 25)

http://www.cmbs.cz/old/oblastky.php?name_obl=SKOP&amp;pr_pg=main_pool

Perk
01-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Ouch..got to watch out...might start bustin some of his action!

Congrats on the 100+ run!