PDA

View Full Version : Venting

cheesemouse
01-22-2003, 07:54 AM
Venting...........
Last night we had our local 8-ball league matches at one of the better places to play in town but that isn't saying much. I was looking forward to a fun night of good pool and socializing. I even showed up 30 minutes early to warmup and get comfortable. One of my teamates was there and we dropped the balls. I tried to rack the balls and found that it was impossible to get a decent rack. The cloth was so dirty and fuzz balled up I gave up and went to the bar and asked for the table brush. WHAT BRUSH!!!!! They didn't even have a table brush so I did it by hand. Now I have been in the bar business and I know how many minutes it takes to keep two pool tables clean and playable; about fifteen minutes. After cleaning both tables it was time to start league play. I went to the bathroom to wash my hands, they were a light shade of green...no hot water, no soap and no paper towels. By now my pleasant nature was being tested but I bit my tongue. I am not only the best player in the league ( no brag ) but the pickiest about conditions. I co-oped the 'hey, we all play on the same table' attitude and decided to just keep my mouth shut and play the game with the conditions that existed. I was the first up and made a good break where upon I got in line for a tip over runout. I got perfect on the last object ball. All I had to do was two rail whitey and return to the center of the table. Low and behold the cueball took a u-turn and welded me behind a ball that was not even in the shot. All I could do was laugh and shake my head. The fun was gone out of the night. All I could think of after all this was "why in the $^@* do we poolplayers put up with this #$%$???" Are we all nuts or just stupid???

...the cheese is feeling like a fool for supporting venders and bar owners that could careless.....

Perk
01-22-2003, 08:05 AM
I feel your pain...we do the same thing in our bar league..but I just try to remember its a bar league..for most its fun...I tend to just drink and not let it bother me.....this year my record is: 37-7 (.85)...I find that it all averages out...bad rolls, opponents, mistakes..all add up to a .80 finish in the end. It doesnt matter if I shoot the lights out, or I dog it. The weakest players play their hearts out against the top dawgs. I like the league cause we drink and sometimes get some action after wards when we are tanked. Plus at the end of the year we get a banquet...All you can Eat...All you can Drink....Double Elim tourney......

Still looking for a driver that night!!!

01-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Well, I can relate. I don't play locally any more. Before I bought my own table, I used to drive 30 miles and pay $8/hr to play on Gold Crowns at the nearest decent pool hall. All we have locally are bars with crappy tables, and the bar scene just isn't for me anymore. I don't like the tiny tables, oversized cueballs, and drunks.

I wish I had the startup capital to open my own PH here. A buddy and I would love to start a local APA leage (again, the nearest is 30 miles away), but there is nowhere decent to go and play, and I don't think my wife would appreciate holding league night at our house! LOL!

David

Wally_in_Cincy
01-22-2003, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>

...the cheese is feeling like a fool for supporting venders and bar owners that could careless..... <hr /></blockquote>

Welcome to my hell LOL

I also feel your pain. I had to buy a table brush for our bar and I am literally the only one that ever uses it /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

But if it's the only game in town whaddaya gonna do.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

01-22-2003, 02:04 PM
I know what you are going through! This year so far in league our sponsoring bar has:
Moved the table once a week for buffet room &amp; never once releveled it.
Put shelves up on 3 walls that interfere with play.
Moved a fridge in the Poolroom within 3 feet of a pooltable corner.
Worst of all was the cloth recover job. They put on some rubberbacked stuff that plays like a wool blanket. Most english is useless &amp; very, very slow. No way you can draw or high one length of the table. Last Monday nite we arrived to play &amp; found they had "updated" the light &amp; have one of these fancy table lights almost on the ceiling &amp; have three 40 watt bulbs in it. Only the young guns with good eyes did any good. When talking to the bar owner he says the vendor has control over the table &amp; its just "too bad" about the other things. Well, we are committed to this bar until league is over &amp; we will never come back. A lot of players quit league play years ago when our local vendor wouldnt update tables to do away with the oversize cue ball &amp; I see the same thing happenning again. Problem is that we are in the boondocks far enough where this vendor has a monopoly &amp; the next nearest pool hall is 90 miles away.
I get a chance to practice at the local college on a fast Valley table &amp; shoot quite good there. When going on one of these "SLOW" tables all is lost. It becomes a game of "push" pool like it was with the large cue ball. Hit all will center ball english just play some speed if possible!
Our team agreed that this isnt but an abberation of the game &amp; the end result will be a loss of talent as before. I suppose the owners &amp; vendors could'nt care less as long as the quarters keep dropping in. Sorry about the vent but that what this post was for. Later, Dewey

Rod
01-22-2003, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All I could think of after all this was "why in the $^@* do we poolplayers put up with this #$%$???" Are we all nuts or just stupid???
<hr /></blockquote>

Well take you pick Cheese. LOL Honestly I've seen just as bad and worst and it is upsetting to say the least. Vendors could care less especially if they have the only game in town. Many bar owners could care less also although I believe they are better. One night when I played league we were under the same situation. The difference is they had a brush. Wow, I wonder what the used it for! The table had tons of fur balls. With one swipe I thought I was in the middle of a Kansas dust storm. It was good they turned the coolers on, summer you know so I guess we got the special treatment. I just don't have the patience to drive several miles and play on that crap. I can drive 4 blocks and experience near the same. Well it is better but nothing close to good. I never go there anymore.