PDA

View Full Version : Cue Ball Question

01-22-2003, 09:26 AM
What is the standard cue ball of play? Yesterday I shot with a red circle cue ball and was getting much more action on the cue than I was ready for. I like a fast table and this cue ball gave the appearance of a fast table so after a while I began to like it. After doing a little research I found that the red circle ball is a little lighter thus the greater action. Now I don't know whether to get myself one in order to enjoy the greater action for fear it may hurt my match play if a ball more difficult to more around the table is used. Whats your thoughts? I know there is a blue circle, blue dot, red circle, red dot, a couple of triangles, and one with an aramith logo.

caedos
01-22-2003, 09:31 AM
In the Dallas and Fort Worth area, the red circle seems to be the cue ball of choice for match play on the hourly tables. Other than that, most places just put out a stock cue ball.

Oz

Fran Crimi
01-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Davis, I'm glad you brought this up. IMO, there's one and only one answer to your question, and I blame the "Who gives a crap" attitude of Manufacturers, proprietors and players for messing this whole thing up.

The answer is that the cue ball should match EXACTLY the specs of the object balls you are using.

If manufacturers would only make duplicate cue balls to match each set that is produced, then when a cb is lost or worn out, it can be replaced. Some manufacturers even have the audacity to claim that their replacements are the same as the sets, but they aren't. Plus, there are a lot of fakes out there. I've seen blue circles that are lighter and the circle wears off. I've seen 3 different shades of red circles with 3 different sets of specs. I also know that proprietors don't care. When they need cue balls, they go out and buy them with no consideration for the specs of the object balls. Players are to blame too, pulling out their favorite cue ball and tossing a cue ball aside that actually does match the set.

It's a mess.

Fran

Paul_Mon
01-22-2003, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> The answer is that the cue ball should match EXACTLY the specs of the object balls you are using.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran,
What you're asking for is very costly. Every manufacturing process has variability. You can and will see this variance from set to set. The industry is satisfying the BCA requirements as shown below. Until a manufacturer starts sorting their balls by increments much smaller than the specifications you will always get mis-matched sizes. BTW, there is no such thing as a perfect sphere.

POOL BALL SPECIFICATIONS:

Molded and finished in a perfect sphere in the following weight and diameter:
Pocket Billiard Balls
Weight: 5 1/2 to 6 oz. *Diameter: 2 1/4"
*Diameter tolerance of (plus or minus) .005"

Paul Mon

Fran Crimi
01-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Paul, you're right and don't get me wrong...I understand and accept slight variances from set to set. I probably shouldn't have used the word "Exactly". However, I'm referring to more than slight variances, and there's tons of that going on out there, like a player taking out a red circle to use with Centennials and putting the blue circle on the side. They may like how the red circle reacts because of the uneven effect they get when it strikes the object ball, but they've just changed the game of pool to something else.

Fran

Paul_Mon
01-22-2003, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> snipped

like a player taking out a red circle to use with Centennials and putting the blue circle on the side.
Fran <hr /></blockquote>

It's epidemic around here. You can not find a blue circle ball with the Centenials in any pool hall. I actually bought a red circle to go with my Centenials because every where I went they use the red circle. I didn't want to practice with something (blue circle) that nobody else uses.

Paul

Fran Crimi
01-22-2003, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> snipped

like a player taking out a red circle to use with Centennials and putting the blue circle on the side.
Fran <hr /></blockquote>

It's epidemic around here. You can not find a blue circle ball with the Centenials in any pool hall. I actually bought a red circle to go with my Centenials because every where I went they use the red circle. I didn't want to practice with something (blue circle) that nobody else uses.

Paul <hr /></blockquote>

Yup. And this is why I call it the "I don't give a crap" attitude. Players don't care, proprietors don't care and manufacturers don't care, and for the few who do care, it's an uphill battle to try to do anything about it.

Do you think Willie Mosconi would have accepted using Centennials with a red circle? I think he would have thrown it through the window.

Fran