PDA

View Full Version : Transition between tables?

Perk
01-22-2003, 02:51 PM
Well, this post is generated from my personal experiences and from a post in the Venting category.

My experience is that I have a harder time transitioning from a slow table to a fast table, and that when I play alot on the fast tables, I easily adapt to the slower ones. With that thought in mind and re-felting my table coming up, I am deciding which kinda felt to place on my table (BB).

How does everyone else feel regarding the speed of felt. Obviously moving the rock is easier on fast tables and it makes for working on your stroke consistency,,,but is there such thing as "too" fast?

01-22-2003, 03:43 PM
My conclusion on this subject is that it all depends on what type of player you are. If you are a player who plays without a lot of english and cue ball movement you would probably benifet from a slow cloth. Eight ball on a seven foot table for instance requires little cue ball movement whereas nine ball on a nine foot table often requires end to end ball movement with english. Very difficult to do on a slow table! Now, a lot depends on your definition of "slow" & "fast" cloth. I have seen some cloths that were so slow that the application of anything but a center ball stroke was futile. On the other hand I have fast cloths that seemed like playing on a marble slab. Check out the likes & dislikes of the pros. I suspect that you will find they prefer a fast table. Wish you luck! Dewey

nAz
01-22-2003, 04:25 PM
I have problems moving from a slow table to a faster one, i can take me a good 30 min. to adjust. Going the other way fast to slow is not to bad for me the adjustment there can take me about 10 min.
860 simonis should be a standard world wide /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

01-22-2003, 06:44 PM
Agreed -- I have Simonis 860 on my own table and wish every table I played on had it. I tend to be a "pocket speed" shooter most of the time and like being able to move a table's length with little effort. When I play on a typical napped cloth I feel like I'm shooting across a shag carpet.

But, as mentioned, it's a personal thing. If you like fast cloth, though, Simonis is the best in my book.

David

Tom_In_Cincy
01-22-2003, 07:49 PM
I always will prefer Simonis.. 860 brand new its the best.

I don't have any trouble going from the napped cloth to the faster cloth.. just a few racks of hitting balls and I can adjust.. with fast cloth, I tend to stay closer to center on most of my hits.. on slower cloth.. I try to use speed and rails for shape as much as possible.

Rod
01-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Hi Perk,
I like 860 cloth best. Just as important is the rail speed. That is overlooked by many. Many times people think a table is slow because of the cloth. Well that is just the bed speed. If the cushions are lively even a slower cloth plays decent. I don't like the change to a slow table especially if it is due to the rails, and it usually is. I adapt easier to a faster table. Yes I think you can have a table to fast. 760 cloth and fast cushions means a delicate stroke more times than not. Give me good cushions and 860 and I'm a happy pup.

dddd
01-22-2003, 09:22 PM
i play generally the same wherever i play,
but, on smaller tables i will be cautious of the rebound angle off the rail, in trying to prevent scratch in side,
due to the length of table distance. where i play the ball off the rail comes up short on a big table but will be towards the pocket on a small table.

Stretch
01-23-2003, 06:24 PM
Great point about the cushion speed Rod. biggest factor in cue ball travel when rails are being used. In an ideal world we could all play on brand new level cloth with solid lively cushions. Unfortunately....... Actualy i say i prefer lightning fast cloth. It makes traveling the cue ball soooooooo much easier. Plus, if i had to pigeon hole my style of play i'd say i'm more of a finnese shooter so fast cloth say's "i bet i've got more control than you" LOL.

The wierd thing is, on the slower napped cloth i actually have BETTER control. The back spin grabs like an s.o.b., or the cb can stop on a dime. Stunning down tangent lines is a piece of cake.

After careful deliberation i've decided that i like em all! Fast, slow, gargage, mint. Soaked in beer, or covered in lint.lol But that's just me. If you spoil yourself with "favorites" you'll always get stuck on the ones that you don't like when it matters. It's another one of those sick universal laws type thing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St

PS Slow tables break like crap too, but that just means your "in" every game lol. Fast tables break great so runnouts are always presenting themselves. Thier such a tease /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
01-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Hi Stretch,
Ya I don't have to have them perfect either. Rarely do I see that anyway. It's good to figure a table out cause it happens all the time. I found a little softer break works better on some slow tables. I can do without the beer soaked tables though.