PDA

View Full Version : Should I Be Getting $$$?

9 Ball Girl
01-22-2003, 09:42 PM
On Thursday nites, I stay out real late 'cause I'm either playing in a tourney or I'm helping my friend run it. I'll usually call out the matches, handicaps, races, etc. My friend does the auction and will watch the hits (I hate to go and watch a hit). I usually go with my other friend and he's been coming in the $$$. He hit me off with some cash when he won it the first time for being their til 4AM with him.

My question is, should I be getting $$$ for helping run the tourney from my friend the TD and/or should I also be getting $$$ from my friend (since I go and stay with him) when he comes in the $$$?

I really really enjoy doing all of that, running the brackets and if I'm not playing I can sit for hours and watch great play. I've been told that I should be getting $$$. For me, it doesn't matter at all, I just don't want to feel like I'm getting one over on me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

qSHAFT
01-22-2003, 09:51 PM
If the TD is getting $$$ for running it, then you would definately be deserving of a cut. If he's running it for nothing and getting occassional winnings, then the winnings would be his alone, just as your winning would be yours alone.

Judging by your photo, I would say that you are a major draw card to the competitors and more than deserving of pay /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif, but I won't say it because that wouldn't be PC.

01-23-2003, 04:26 AM
u should be getting the $$$... doesn't really matter if u're right or not ... your looks deserve it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
01-23-2003, 01:24 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Flattery will get you everywhere! hahahahaha

Back to the task at hand. I also draw the players for their matches. When I do this, I make sure not to look at any of the players because they look at me with a knowing look as if telling me to "fix" them for the bye or an easy player. Not all of them but some do. Then some want to keep playing on the same table they keep winning on and I tell them I can't do that, otherwise ask the TD.

I think tonight I'll avoid all of that and play. What the hell.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Is it the owner who is the TD? If so he could throw you some free table time.

9 Ball Girl
01-23-2003, 01:39 PM
The owner is not the TD but I do get free table time and free eats! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

shayla
01-23-2003, 01:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> The owner is not the TD but I do get free table time and free eats! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I used to run a weekly tournament at our local pool hall for a long time. I never had anyone help. The owner never paid me cash, but I got free table time, and a free entry into each of the weekly tournaments. I had friends that would help while I was playing, but they never asked for anything. I helped friends on other tournament nights and never asked for anything. I enjoyed doing it and having a designated seat all night. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif If someone helped me run a tournament, then asked to get paid, I'd just assume do it myself. You might already be getting the better part of the deal. What if you asked and they said they wouldnt pay you then not let you help? You might be OK with that, but helping is a lot of fun, too. Now, staying til 4am?? Dont know about that. I'd try to find a way to run that tournament a little more efficiently! Good luck!

Chris Cass
01-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Hi Wendy,

Free table time and food is good enough. What's really good is the experience learning how a tourney should be ran. Later you can do as I have done and went to another PH in a bowling alley and ran my own. I also would play in it too. Once I made the deal on the table time I started one up every Sat. Sometimes, I wouldn't get any and had a round robin. After it took off, I had as many as 32 players with $10. entry fee and buy back option. Made first place look sweet.

The bowling alley guy eventually, gave me more time discounts and till I moved away. The tourney was solid and not many complaints from the players at all. Your gonna have some, you can't please everyone but most were very happy. They all ate there too so, the guy I got to add alittle money also. I'd add it to the pot and payed an extra place.

Some would probably bleed it for what it's worth. Not me, I just wanted to play. Alot of the money I made was from action after the tourney. Some weekends I'd make a couple of hundred. I could almost count on it from one guy alone. I would just take my entry fee out of the prize money with 8 player. $10.00 for every aditional 8 players. I also listed on the tourney chart with total money and breakdown, time and my entry fee included. The players had no problem with it what so ever. The buy backs were on me though if I wanted back in. That's only fair.

I also added a "Hot Shot", that money rolled over till someone made it. That hooked them into coming back everytime. $1.00 from every entry. I wouldn't make it too hard though. It was more or less $75. to $100. usually when someone made it.

So, there you have it. Wendy Productions....

Regards,

C.C.~~trixs of the trade....

snipershot
01-23-2003, 05:06 PM
As long as the TD is getting money for it, you deserve a cut of the money though, the money's not important though, you said that you enjoy doing it and that's far more important than getting paid.

9 Ball Girl
01-23-2003, 07:08 PM
I agree with you all the way, Shayla. I love doing it. But its some of my buds that insist that I should be getting a cut. And when I tell 'em I don't care to get any, they think I'm a dum dum. C'est la vie!

As far as staying 'til 4AM? I can't help that, I gotta stay and see who wins!

9 Ball Girl
01-23-2003, 07:09 PM
The free time and eats I get because the guy that works behind the counter is totally digging me. That plus the owner knows I help my friend run it.

Wendy Productions...I like it, I like it!

Wendy~~my ride's here. gotta go!