PDA

View Full Version : Best Deals On Used Cue Sticks At The PH

TomBrooklyn
01-23-2003, 12:01 AM
Did you ever buy a cue stick at a pool hall from someone who was unhappy with it or who needed the money? What's the best deal you ever got? -T

Rod
01-23-2003, 12:21 AM
Tom,
Iv'e bought a lot of cues. Many times for a hundered or two for a cue worth 2 or 3 times the amount. My best deal was a hundred for a nice Gina cue and case. A couple of years ago I bought a Schön Ltd with two shafts in a Porper case for 250. I did ok.

Fred Agnir
01-23-2003, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> What's the best deal you ever got<hr /></blockquote>
Not me, but a friend of mine spotted a Balaboti hanging on a wall rack being used as a house stick, and bought it for virtually nothing. He sent it Ernie Guttierez who refurbished it, and put a leather wrap on it. So, it might be one of a handful of cues worked on by what many consider to be the three most reknowned cuemakers of all time.

I guess it could be called a "Balabotierez." He showed it (he was one of the invited cue-collecting displayers) at the show at Ruidoso. I believe he turned down an offer in the $25K ballpark.

Fred

SpiderMan
01-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Here's the worst deal I know of .... recently an acquaintance of mine pawned his gear for $200 to pay bills, and was never able to redeem it. He had a new Schon LTD with three shafts, a Viking break cue, and a 2-4 leather cowboy case. He didn't tell anyone what he had done until after he lost the cues. Any number of us would have redeemed it and given him extra money to boot.

SpiderMan

dave
01-23-2003, 10:21 AM
I traded a Meucci that I won in a raffle plus $100 bucks for a Craig Peterson cue in the old Hoppe style with a solid ivory joint and ivory ring in the ebony butt. A couple of years later Craig died (unfortunately) and the value of the cue went throught the roof. I eventually sold it at an enormous profit and then saw it up for sale again a couple of years later for about 3 times what I got for it. It was an absolutely beautiful cue but it hit like a ball peen hammer.

Cueless Joey
01-23-2003, 10:35 AM
I've ran across two great deals at the ph.
One Lambros I bought for $275 and a Schon LTD for 500.

Rich R.
01-23-2003, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I've ran across two great deals at the ph.
One Lambros I bought for $275 and a Schon LTD for 500. <hr /></blockquote>
Joey, a Lambros for $275 is not a "good deal", it is stealing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I have heard of his Sneaky Petes, which he doesn't make any longer, going for as high as $700.

Cueless Joey
01-23-2003, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I've ran across two great deals at the ph.
One Lambros I bought for $275 and a Schon LTD for 500. <hr /></blockquote>
Joey, a Lambros for $275 is not a "good deal", it is stealing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I have heard of his Sneaky Petes, which he doesn't make any longer, going for as high as $700. <hr /></blockquote>
Holy crap Batman! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks Rich.
This one is a bocote forearm with the ultra-joint.