PDA

View Full Version : One Pocket Break ?

01-23-2003, 06:04 AM
I was playing a session of one pocket the other day & I could not get the break to react correctly. About Two out of every three breaks the corner ball on my opponents side would slide over far enough for him to cut it in to his corner.
I kept adjusting my break and hitting in different spots between the first and second ball, but nothing seemed to work. I checked the racks and they did not seem tilted one way or the other. Does any know what causes this? or what to look for as far as froze balls in the rack. I have heard:
Make sure all the balls on the back row are froze. Does any one have any other suggestions to look for in a one pocket rack?

silverbullet
01-23-2003, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MMT:</font><hr> I was playing a session of one pocket the other day &amp; I could not get the break to react correctly. About Two out of every three breaks the corner ball on my opponents side would slide over far enough for him to cut it in to his corner.
I kept adjusting my break and hitting in different spots between the first and second ball, but nothing seemed to work. I checked the racks and they did not seem tilted one way or the other. Does any know what causes this? or what to look for as far as froze balls in the rack. I have heard:
Make sure all the balls on the back row are froze. Does any one have any other suggestions to look for in a one pocket rack? <hr /></blockquote>

I do not play op, though am getting ready to have some lessons on it, i hope, if scott will just come here..lol..

anyway, scott sold ww a tape with nothing on it but op breaks...i do not remember who is featured in it, but it came highly recommended from scott...figure he probably still is selling it.

bw

Paul_Mon
01-23-2003, 06:28 AM
It is really tough to get a tight rack. Make sure that all the balls on both sides are at least touching each other and pay particular attention to the head ball and the 2nd ball. When breaking I try to cut the head ball right into the first diamond with high inside spin on the cue ball. When executed properly the cue ball ends up at position "A".

Remember to allow for swerve and keep the cue as level as possible. If you sell out that corner ball with regularity when the rack is tight you may want to break between the second and third ball or even the third and fourth. Keep practicing.

Paul Mon

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Ph7D5%QN0D4%UP8N3%V g6D9%WJ0[0
%XN4P2%eA8`7
)END

Anonamus
01-23-2003, 06:58 AM
The corner ball comes out because there's a gap in the rack somewhere or you're hitting the second ball too full.

One way to avoid your opponent cutting the corner ball in (if it does come out) is to practise getting the cue ball to die on the long rail near the second diamond after the break.

dddd
01-23-2003, 08:59 PM
as previous post explained,
one ball will pop out on opposite side when something is not touching somewhere on the interior of the rack,
the rack must be tight and time spent making it so is worth it.

NH_Steve
01-23-2003, 09:59 PM
Are you breaking from over near the side rail? You might try moving the cue 6 to 8 inches closer to the center of the table. Also, might you be breaking a little hard? You could try hitting with just enough speed to end up between the 1st and second diamond -- instead of the usual ideal of between the 2nd &amp; 3rd diamond.

Scott Lee
01-24-2003, 01:05 AM
I agree with Steve here. It seems more likely that you're not breaking correctly, rather than a bad rack. Try to just NICK the head ball, with a lag speed stroke.

The tape silverbullit was talking about is Willie Jopling's Ultimate One Pocket tape...two hours of nothing but one pocket gems. Email me if you're interested, or you can order direct from Willie. He runs an ad in Billiards Digest.

Scott Lee

HalSmith
02-04-2003, 05:48 AM
All the replies are on the money,but check the last ball that you keep kicking out to make sure it's touching , if not it will kick out all the time

NBC-BOB
02-11-2003, 09:32 AM
It's hard to say exactly whats causing the problem.A good example of why I say this is:I've seen days when the humidity affects the balls and although your hitting the break good with inside english, the corner balls rolls in.
This happened to me and my opponent several times in one day and we kept checking the rack and watching the break very carefully.