PDA

View Full Version : Watson robbed in Nashville

Wally_in_Cincy
01-23-2003, 08:49 AM
I'm sure most of you have seen this but here it is anyway:

http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=1093243&nav=1ugFDUi9

Makes me wonder if "action" threads are a bad idea. Then again armed robbers probably don't spend much time on the internet.

BillPorter
01-23-2003, 09:34 AM
Wally, I think that known gamblers are often targets for robbery. After all, they are known for carrying around lots of cash. 40 years ago I knew a guy who had been known for many years as a high stakes gamblem (Titanic Thompson). He'd been the target for robbery several times. Unfortunately for the would be robbers, Titanic nearly always carried a weapon and was quick and deadly with it.

Steve Lipsky
01-23-2003, 10:13 AM
I don't know... these guys walk around with such a naive, invincible attitude that I can't really say I'm very sorry for them. Especially since they weren't physically hurt.

When the WPBA tournament came to NY, it attracted some road players from the southwest. One in particular, a real low-life, was walking around with almost $20,000. He might have some form of "protection" where he's from, but he had none in NYC. This guy was waiting to be robbed; he was just too stupid to realize it. (Incidentally, nothing happened.)

I've often wondered about the lack of security at an event such as the US Open. God forbid some armed bandits entered the building, they'd probably take the place for about $200,000 in cash. And with some of the fairly high and misplaced testosterone levels in the players/backers, we'd be lucky to get out of such a situation without a few deaths.

The other day I read in the newspaper about how some guy was killed over $12. Twelve f-ing dollars. Why pool players think they can walk around with - and FLASH - tens of thousands in cash and get away with it is beyond me. And, as long as they're not hurt, excuse me if I don't feel too bad for them.

On another note, Luc Salvas seems to have played two matches in Virginia and still hasn't lost a game.

- Steve Lipsky

Wally_in_Cincy
01-23-2003, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>
On another note, Luc Salvas seems to have played two matches in Virginia and still hasn't lost a game.

- Steve Lipsky <hr /></blockquote>

Two matches? Probably the best 20 minutes of pool playing for him in a while /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
01-23-2003, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> I've often wondered about the lack of security at an event such as the US Open. God forbid some armed bandits entered the building, they'd probably take the place for about $200,000 in cash. And with some of the fairly high and misplaced testosterone levels in the players/backers, we'd be lucky to get out of such a situation without a few deaths.<hr /></blockquote>
Steve, I think they would get $200,000 from the first row. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Unfortunately, a few deaths would also be a conservative estimate. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

dave
01-23-2003, 10:54 AM
I agree with Wally, I think there is some inherent danger in posts that advertise this aspect of tournaments. We don't know who's lurking and I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for putting ideas in anybody's head.

Eric.
01-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Steve,

Haven't seen you around here, been wonderin...

I agree with you 101%. It has amazed me for years that Roadies haven't been all mugged everytime theres a tourney in town! Unfortunately, not only is it a bit naive, poolplayers aren't known for their menacing and intimitating demeanors/statures(!)

On that other note, does that surprise you about Luc Salvas? I know I watched him beat Frankie H. at the US Open, 11-1, shooting everything on the table. Seems like when he's in dead punch, he's a machine.

Eric

Vapros
01-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Small world. Please see my post a few days ago on a thread about violence and pool.

Rod
01-23-2003, 05:45 PM
What's interesting is they admit to winning $21,000 a few days before. Not to smart if you ask me, the fed's might take more interest in them now. Maybe not but why the risk. Like Steve said some of these guys ask for it.

JPB
01-23-2003, 07:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> What's interesting is they admit to winning $21,000 a few days before. Not to smart if you ask me, the fed's might take more interest in them now. Maybe not but why the risk. Like Steve said some of these guys ask for it. <hr /></blockquote>

Yep, I bet they have to pay taxes on the winnings and won't be able to deduct the loss from the robbery. They better see an accountant. Bad break. But big gamblers have always been subject to robberies. It has always happened to all kinds of gamblers. Remember the old story of the robbery at the golf course. One gambler took out his bankroll and handed it to his opponent during the robbery and said "We're even." /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

dddd
01-23-2003, 09:16 PM
i dont wish bad things to happen with anyone,
with that said, road players, gamblers, will be flush one day and need a loan to get home the next.
watson and the rest of them will make the game in their favor and take whatever the other player lets him take. he will not have any second thoughts or problem with taking everything from him.
the life of the road is not a vacation. it is rough and full of dangers inherent with the life style.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-23-2003, 09:23 PM
I posted on that thread and it included the story of Tony Watson.. Its the first link..

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=56633&amp;page= 0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=1&amp;vc=1

Wally_in_Cincy
01-24-2003, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> What's interesting is they admit to winning $21,000 a few days before. Not to smart if you ask me, the fed's might take more interest in them now. Maybe not but why the risk. Like Steve said some of these guys ask for it. <hr /></blockquote>

The robbers may have thought that there was a chance it would not be reported due to the tax implications. Just like a dope dealer is not going to report a robbery...if he's smart.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-24-2003, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I posted on that thread and it included the story of Tony Watson.. Its the first link..

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=56633&amp;page= 0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=1&amp;vc=1 <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah I thought this story might be imbedded in that thread somewhere but I was too lazy to go back and look /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TomBrooklyn
01-24-2003, 08:53 AM
Here's an idea. These guys could convert some of their money into money orders or travelers checks. Any robbers would be probably get caught if they tried to cash them.