PDA

View Full Version : Children of the Champs

TerryArdeno
01-23-2003, 11:16 AM
I wonder if Earl Strickland, Nick Varner, Buddy Hall, etc, has any kids that are interested in pool. I've never heard of this generation of players having any offspring that are "following in Dad's footsteps". Can you imagine having the love for the game that most of us do, and then coming home from school to have "dad" (Earl, Nick, Buddy, et al) take you into the basement pool room and teach & play & talk & ask questions &...you get the picture. Wow!!! Can you imagine?

Steve Lipsky
01-23-2003, 11:20 AM
You're assuming this would always be a good thing, though. Many of the champs of the game feel, in a certain way, betrayed by their love. It has given them some great highs, no doubt, but a truly unpredictable and mostly unprofitable career.

As a father, I could definitely understand not wanting that life for your kid.

I am still undecided as to whether I will teach the game to my children (when I have them).

- Steve

Rich R.
01-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Parents are not always the best teachers, for their own children.

Fred Agnir
01-23-2003, 11:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TerryArdeno:</font><hr> I wonder if Earl Strickland, Nick Varner, Buddy Hall, etc, has any kids that are interested in pool. I've never heard of this generation of players having any offspring that are "following in Dad's footsteps". Can you imagine having the love for the game that most of us do, and then coming home from school to have "dad" (Earl, Nick, Buddy, et al) take you into the basement pool room and teach &amp; play &amp; talk &amp; ask questions &amp;...you get the picture. Wow!!! Can you imagine? <hr /></blockquote>
It seems that if you ask many of the top players, they would have chosen a different path if they had the opportunity to do it all again. I assume then that most of these players would dissuade their children from following in their footsteps.

Fred

SecaucusFats
01-23-2003, 08:15 PM
I'd heard talk of them but I had dismissed such talk as the lunatic rantings of wizened old rummies. Still, I was intrigued by the notion of it, so here I was in an old Range Rover, 100 miles out of Mombassa. My guide N'Komo was at the wheel, as we slogged onwards down the narrow rutted trail.

The Range Rover had no air conditioner, the stench of decayed vegetation, of five days without a shower in the sweltering heat, and of the awful local cigarettes (which smelled like rhino dung), was overwhelming.

We pulled up into the cratered mudhole which passed for the parking lot of T. &amp; J's Jungle Billiards. It took us a few seconds for our eyes to adapt to the gloomy darkness of the pool hall then we approached the counter man. N'Komo and the man exchanged a few terse words in one of the local dialects then he gestured to me to follow him to the back of the room. There they were! They were playing 9 Ball. It was true, their long arms and profuse hairy fur was as striking as the raucous noises they made as they played. Sadly their play was seriously lacking, they lacked the fundamentals and knew nothing of position play these children of the chimps..

OH SORRY! You said "children of the champs". My bad. Fuhgeddabouit!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Fats

Scott Lee
01-24-2003, 01:11 AM
One successful example was Gary and Joey Spaeth, from Cincinnati, OH. Both father and son played a great game of pool! Dad taught the son young, and he got very good at a young age. Sadly, he just passed away. I don't know if he had kids of his own.

Scott Lee

Paul_Mon
01-24-2003, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> You're assuming this would always be a good thing, though

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

How true. Look at what Dennis Hatch learned from his father. Not that his father was a great player but he was heavily involved in the pool underworld.

Paul Mon

rackmup
01-24-2003, 06:52 AM
Very funny! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

NBC-BOB
02-11-2003, 10:22 AM
About 15 yrs ago I played Allen Martin (son of Ray Martin)
and he played fantastic.We started the game and I ran a couple of racks on him!His comment was Oh you play pretty good and then when he got to the table he ran out the game.
I haven't seen him or heard about him in years!I seem to recall that he was going to Fl. but could be wrong.
He use to come up and play Jack Colavita in Wayne nj and it all came down to who got the first shot!

Jack Jr
02-13-2003, 10:17 AM
My dad (Jack Colavita) and I played Ray Martin and his son Allan years ago in Vineland New Jersey in a Father and Son exhibition match. Allan basically destroyed me in the "Son" event (150 Point Straight Pool) 150-65, but my dad made up the difference and beat Ray that evening in the "Father" match (if I remember correctly the final score it ended up like 500 to 405. My dad had a couple of hundred ball runs in order to make up my deficit.

Alan is definitly is a good player.