PDA

View Full Version : Journal for tourneys/matches?

phil in sofla
01-23-2003, 05:45 PM
Two things have made me think about journalling recently: a tournament coming up this weekend, and a regular 8-ball match with a friend that I've been losing, for reasons that aren't that clear to me.

I figure if I make a note of what happened in each game, and especially on key balls, etc., I could see a pattern (maybe not playing safe when I should, maybe trying a safe and blowing it, etc.) and learn from that.

Have you ever written some summary of your games in a journal pad? What would you include in the entries? I wouldn't want them to be a shot by shot commentary, as that could get quite lengthy. Just what happened on key balls, or what caused the win or loss?

The tournament will be a challenge, probably as hard as any I've played in (a short list), so while winning would be a bonus, mainly it will be a learning experience.

Jon from MN
01-23-2003, 07:10 PM
I have been doing that for a long time. Thats one way to track your progress and work on your short commings. There might be a pattern to the 8ball match and this might help you there. good luck ~~~Jon from mn~~~

mike_in_iowa
01-23-2003, 10:12 PM
I often write in my pool journal. I will record what happen that evening and how I felt about it. I don't go into detail about specific shots but If the error was big I will write it down.

If you check out the Pro Book I believe he has a pre-match list and I think a post match summary to use. It seems like a great idea.

good luck

mike athens

phil in sofla
01-23-2003, 10:21 PM
So, more impressionistic about the night (or day), and how you reacted to it, more than concentrating on particular details of wins or losses unless something unusual about that occurs?

dddd
01-23-2003, 11:27 PM
I wouldnt be too locked in on what exactly to say,
I keep journal of my matches and general information, tips, clues to how I am feeling, general key balls I need to work on where I went wrong, its not so much where you went right but I put to paper where I went wrong, and include diagrams (the diagram seems to be easier for me to see what is going on) of the problems and then perhaps on my next lesson I will bring this with me and discuss the layout.
Many times this can lead to something good. A new way of looking at shots or situations. I have had many times over the different lessons where what I was having a problem with became much clearer as to why and how to combat that happening again. This can go into the practice sessions as something to work on.
I also keep notes of my practice sessions; these generally consist of scoring drills and running racks. This is a gauge of how I am playing that particular day. The drills are to see how my mechanics and feel are working that particular day. The running racks are to see how I am progressing as a player and my ability to focus and make balls.

Again I write what I feel and on any particular day it could be almost anything, laughing, crying, angry or just plain in a good mood. The journal will take on the reflection of you on any day.

dennis

Rod
01-24-2003, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Again I write what I feel and on any particular day it could be almost anything, laughing, crying, angry or just plain in a good mood. The journal will take on the reflection of you on any day.

<hr /></blockquote>

Dennis,
I have a lot of interest in your last paragraph. I've made mental notes over the years. It pertains to but not limited to tournaments. Am I prepared? What I did the day/night before and what I ate. How well I slept, that is a big one for me. My general attitude in the morning or for the day, like you what I'm feeling. What's for breakfast etc. I pretty well have this list established and more indepth than what I mentioned. If I follow my mental notes then I feel good and ready. When I feel good and prepared I play good. I've never kept actual notes unless I was keeping score of say a game of Fargo. I think notes can help for a lot of reasons, some you mentioned. Were a creature of habit and often repeat our mistakes and overlook some of them. My main points of interest when playing is the break(cue ball control) many games are lost at the begining. When to duck and better position the balls instead of trying for near impossible position. Safties, c/b control again. Weigh the advantage or disadvantage of shooting a difficult shot. Break out shots, is it in my favor and do I know where my next shot is going. In general control the table and stay in control.
Assuming we make the shots were suppose to make then it's just a matter of who has the best table management.

SPetty
01-24-2003, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Assuming we make the shots were suppose to make then it's just a matter of who has the best table management.<hr /></blockquote>Oh, I get it! Making the balls is the easy part - it's the position that tough!

hahahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sorry, Rod, couldn't resist this one...

Rod
01-24-2003, 12:45 PM
Hum, LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif