PDA

View Full Version : Can you Break Well COLD ?

bigbro6060
01-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Can you break well totally cold ? if you came to the table, no warm up potting or anything and had to break, would you be able to break well ?

the break is definitely one of the better parts of my game, but it does take me a few breaks of warming up before i get it going full bore. I can't break my best cold

cheesemouse
01-24-2003, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> Can you break well totally cold ? if you came to the table, no warm up potting or anything and had to break, would you be able to break well ?

the break is definitely one of the better parts of my game, but it does take me a few breaks of warming up before i get it going full bore. I can't break my best cold <hr /></blockquote>

Big, It maybe to your advantage not to full choke your break right off. You would be missing out on a table that is breaking well at the 75% mark. I actually give a new table a chance or two at the lower amp break just to see if the 75% better controlled break is working, then go up the ladder if it isn't working.

Perk
01-24-2003, 07:09 AM
I like "cheesemouses" post. I would add that essentially the body isnt made to rifle a break without some form of losening up. Imagine pulling a muscle in the upper arm, are wrentching your back out... J/K

Actually, I believe that the .75 percent approach and work up to full power works best for me. This also helps me get back into stroke so I keep the cueball controlled during the power break. Just my pre weekend tidbits! HTH

eg8r
01-24-2003, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that the .75 percent approach and work up to full power works best for me <hr /></blockquote> Do you really believe less than 1% is even worth starting out at. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;Just having fun.

Perk
01-24-2003, 07:44 AM
ah man..now you are trying to wake me up at work? Damn, maybe I was think blood alcohol content.. .75? I think that would be after death..lol....

Well, the weekend is here....Big tourney around here was rescheduled till March...): Guess it will be the beer!

eg8r
01-24-2003, 07:51 AM
Good luck with the tourney and the Blood alcohol level.

I am not much of a drinker, but I will partake at least one during the Super Bowl. Tradition is tradition and drinking with the boys during the big game is tradition. LOL (I hope I can finish one. I just don't drink anymore so we will see. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

And yes, WAKE UP it is work for heaven sake. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
01-24-2003, 08:16 AM
I'll probably go against the norm here but I break and even play well cold on many occasions. Heck sometimes my early innings are my only good innings, go figure...sid

Sid_Vicious
01-24-2003, 08:22 AM
I believe that the 75% rule is best ANY time. You'll notice that several pros are starting to back down on their break speeds, and they are now jumping less balls off the table plus making that key ball to begin their runs. I personally ramp my thinking up in the pre-strokes like the old mentality of "whammer-jammer" and then pull back at the actual stroke of the break to the 3/4 level, and I've noticed many good results. JM2c...sid

01-24-2003, 09:36 AM
I'm with Sid on this one. I will go so far as to say that I never warm up before a match either. I play full speed from the first ball on. Against players who mentally feel they need to warm up this can be quite an edge, at least temporarily. Of course if it is going to be a marathon session this may not matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Jimbo

snipershot
01-25-2003, 04:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> Can you break well totally cold ? if you came to the table, no warm up potting or anything and had to break, would you be able to break well ?

the break is definitely one of the better parts of my game, but it does take me a few breaks of warming up before i get it going full bore. I can't break my best cold <hr /></blockquote>

I just finished reading all of the responses to your question and was quite surprised to find that nobody loosens up before playing, I at least do some quick stretches ( maybe 30 seconds worth) to loosen up, I'll take whatever edge I can get.

silverbullet
01-25-2003, 04:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimbo:</font><hr> I'm with Sid on this one. I will go so far as to say that I never warm up before a match either. I play full speed from the first ball on. Against players who mentally feel they need to warm up this can be quite an edge, at least temporarily. Of course if it is going to be a marathon session this may not matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Jimbo
<hr /></blockquote>

That is because you are good. I do not play well right off the bat unless I get to knock in a couple of racks first.And then when I say play well, I mean relative to what I am capable. Then if I have to sit for more than one hour, it wears off and I do not play well my first game. This is shooting though. I do the break about the same whether I have practiced or not.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-25-2003, 07:53 PM
I use a soft controlled break starting off cold. Its set up just like my normal break.. but my goal is to get the one ball up table and leave the cue ball on the end rail..

9 Ball Girl
01-27-2003, 03:55 PM
The only time I warm up before a match is if I have time to kill. This weekend I came in straight from the cold and right off the bat I played 4 sets of 9 ball races to 7. I won 3 sets (the last set we were on the hill and the guy got the 9 in on the snap!) but I had never "warmed up. Literally!

Wendy~~wondering when NY is going to get 30 degree temps /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Fred Agnir
01-27-2003, 03:58 PM

If I'm playing a tournament, my break usually gets better as the tournament progresses. So, I guess that's a, "no."

Fred

Rod
01-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Nope, and I rarely try. If I am cold I take some heat off the break.