PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming: A Bogus Theory

TomBrooklyn
01-24-2003, 05:07 AM
Global warming is a bogus theory founded in error, substantiated by pseudoscience, and embraced by well meaning but misinformed enviro-alarmists.

Kato
01-24-2003, 07:41 AM
Tom, is your statement based on fact? I must admit that I don't know too much about global warming in case one would think I'm being a smart a$$.

Kato~~~ain't no scientist

eg8r
01-24-2003, 08:06 AM
There is no substantial proof that global warming is happening. Every year you hear about how a glacier broke off from one of the poles and the alarmists start blowing off about global warming. The glaciers that are breaking off are near the outer edges which is where the temp is warmer. If they did not break off they would continue growing and in some extended amount of time (long after we are gone)the whole world would freeze over. I think I am going to need a little more fact and have both sides agreeing before I believe something is really happening.

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
01-24-2003, 08:11 AM
When I hear that insects are popping up in areas of Alaska wherre they never existed, I begin to believe that we're indeed warming up. sid

Rich R.
01-24-2003, 08:14 AM
If there is such a thing as "global warming", I want to know exactly where it is at. I don't think it has been above 30 degrees here in the last 4 days, and I do not live in the far north. I live south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Fred Agnir
01-24-2003, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Global warming is a bogus theory founded in error, substantiated by pseudoscience, and embraced by well meaning but misinformed enviro-alarmists. <hr /></blockquote>
As a man of science, I would like to add my two cents to this:

ditto

Fred &lt;~~~ helping the global cause

TomBrooklyn
01-24-2003, 09:14 AM
There is indisputably some global warming albeit due to natural, not manmade causes. I think it was only 10,000 years ago that glaciers covered most of North America. Long Island, NY, of which Brooklyn forms the western end, is a terminal morrain. That is the pile of rocks and dirt and sand that is scraped up by the leading edge of a glacier that could be a mile thick and is pushed along by it like a giant plow.

The global warming proponents believe that man-made greenhouse gases from the exhaust of internal combustion engines has accelerated this phenomena to alarming proportions. Many politians, led by Al Gore, the man who told us he created the internet and was the inspiration for the book "Love Story" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, have adopted the theory and want to pass legislation based on it.

Kato
01-24-2003, 09:58 AM
I guess everything would have to work in cycles. Somebody once said that the earth wasn't going anywhere, we were. If the earth wanted us gone she'd shake us off like fleas. Makes sense.

Kato

PS. A friend of mine was upset with GW Bush for not signing the environmental treaty and was complaining the US was damaging the evironment terribly and we were to blame. I told her to buy a bike and she looked at me in a confused sort of way. I told her she was hurting the environment herself and she should quit driving her car. "But I like my car". I rest my case.

SPetty
01-24-2003, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>Global warming is a bogus theory ...<hr /></blockquote><blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>There is indisputably some global warming ...<hr /></blockquote>Which TomBrooklyn should I believe?

eg8r
01-24-2003, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
. I told her she was hurting the environment herself and she should quit driving her car. "But I like my car". <hr /></blockquote>This is exactly why some people should not be allowed to vote.

Global warming may happen naturally, however this is not what I think the originaly post was talking about. When I hear people complaining about environment, they are usually talking about the harm that humans are doing. I think it is an absolute disaster what happened off the coast of Spain a little while ago when the Oil tanker sank and starting leaking. However, unless a person is willing to move into the mountains and live naturally they cannot complain. Funny story (at least I was cracking up)...A few months ago, Environmentalists were talking about how bad it is going to be to the environment in Alaska if they start drilling up there. They were complaining about all the damage to the land and all of this should just stop. They want all oil companies to stop what they are doing. Then when they were finished ranting, they turned around and climbed into their Ford Excursion SUV. There were 4 of these SUVs. I cracked up when I saw that.

Sorry for changing the topic a little or drifting away but this is all the same when you look at who is starting the problems...environmentalists looking for some shine in the spotlight.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
01-24-2003, 01:21 PM
I agree. There's really no credible evidence to support it. Just theory. Even if it did exist would that necessarily be a bad thing? A longer growing season in the higher latitudes would help to feed the ever increasing population of the earth.

I live 1 mile north of a glacial moraine. When I look at that sucker methinks we should worry more about global cooling than global warming.

And isn't it true that one kick-ass volcano spews out 100 times more so-called greenhouse gases than humankind does in a year?

Wally~~not worryin'

nAz
01-25-2003, 01:57 PM
well Tom i am not sure if your right, i believe global warming exist.
But either way all those chemicals , man-made gases from the exhaust of internal combustion engines and factories can NOT possibly be good for the health of my kids.
then again I'm sure the oil lobby would find a way to say its a natural phenomena.

snipershot
01-25-2003, 10:58 PM
It sure as hell isn't happening where I live, for the last week it has been to cold to go outside, literally.

silverbullet
01-26-2003, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Global warming is a bogus theory founded in error, substantiated by pseudoscience, and embraced by well meaning but misinformed enviro-alarmists. <hr /></blockquote>

I am not so sure that it is totally bogus. Most theories have an element of truth in them. If global warming does indeed exist then it is more likely that the timing and/or cause is off. For instance, the assumption might have been made that this trend was caused by pollution.Even though we do have certian places that are very polluted, we also have many places and states which have very good air and water. So, in my opinion, there may actually be a global warming, but saying that any one thing caused it is conjecture. Also, the scare tactics implying that horrible things are going to happen soon doesnt appear to be true. Seems like folks were saying all this and we would be blown up by nuclear weapons by the end of the century, yet we are still here. I kind of think that the global warming may be a normal planetary event just like we had ice ages.

bw

TomBrooklyn
02-03-2003, 03:31 PM
Punxsutawney Phil the groundhog, yesterday predicted that there will be six more weeks of winter, further disproving the Global Warming Theory with scientific evidence of a quality on par with that the Global Warming theorists utilize. http://www.punxsutawneyphil.com/2003/ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooklyn
04-16-2003, 02:56 PM
In New York, January 2003 averaged 12F less than January 2002. 22F versus 34F.

TomBrooklyn
07-04-2003, 03:27 PM
AUCKLAND, June 20 (AFP) - A tax on farting, belching livestock to be introduced by New Zealand to help combat global warming is creating a stink among the country's farmers. Methane emissions created by grass-munching cows, sheep, deer and goats are believed to account for about half of New Zealand's emissions of greenhouse gases.

Now the country is attempting to clear the air by introducing a levy on pungent emissions by mid-2004. The tax will fund a new Agriculture Emissions Research body to meet commitments to the Kyoto Protocol global environment agreement.

New Zealand is home to around 45 million sheep and 9.6 million cattle, according to Statistics New Zealand.

[Ed. Note: I was talking to a New Zealander the other day who was telling me NZ has a bunch of active volcanos that spew hot noxious gases into the air all the time.]

highsea
07-04-2003, 03:35 PM
Geez, a fart tax. Kind of makes you wonder what they'll come up with next....a breathing tax?

-CM

eg8r
07-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a stinky place to visit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Rod
07-04-2003, 09:06 PM
Tom,
If you lived here in AZ you'd swear there is global warming. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif