PDA

View Full Version : Tip diameters??

TommyT
01-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Are different tip diameters better suited for certain games.? And do any of you have shafts with different tip diameters that you switch to depending on the game or how you feel that particular day.?
Thanx,
TommyT

Harold Acosta
01-25-2003, 07:30 AM
Most cues come in 13 mm diameter, shafts can be ordered from 11mm to 14mm. Snooker uses 11 & 12 mm. Some pro's used 12, 12.5, 12.75, or 13 mm or their liking for their playing cue. Most probably use a 13 mm for breaking, and a 14 mm jump cue.

I suggest you ask your friends what diameter shaft they are using, and ask them for a few shots. That way you can get a feel for the diameter and order one for your liking.

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

silverbullet
01-25-2003, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Most cues come in 13 mm diameter, shafts can be ordered from 11mm to 14mm. Snooker uses 11 &amp; 12 mm. Some pro's used 12, 12.5, 12.75, or 13 mm or their liking for their playing cue. Most probably use a 13 mm for breaking, and a 14 mm jump cue.

I suggest you ask your friends what diameter shaft they are using, and ask them for a few shots. That way you can get a feel for the diameter and order one for your liking.

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif <hr /></blockquote>

When I got my first cue 3 years ago it had 12.5 on it. Now that all of my other cues have 13.0, It seems that I have better cb control with the 13. I guess if I were a good player, I would have cb control no matter what but at my sl, the 13 is better for me.

bw

TonyM
01-25-2003, 04:03 PM
For pool games using standard 2.25" diameter balls, I would say no. I use the same cue and tip diameter for all the pool games.

But I do use both a different cue with a different tip diameter for Snooker.

And if I played more Carom games (like 3 cushion) I'd use yet a different cue and tip diameter.

My pool cue is 19.0 ounces, 57" long and has a 12.0 mm tip, with a dime curvature.

My Snooker cue is 17.25 ounces, 56" long, and has a 9.75 mm tip, with a curvature a bit smaller than a dime.

If you check the archives under tip diameter, you will find a lot of discussions about this topic.

Tony