PDA

View Full Version : Games to evaluate skill and progress!

silverbullet
01-25-2003, 09:59 AM
I ordered Target which I am hoping to get in a week or so. A little birdie told me it helps one to develop more skills and awareness of frequent shots.

A month or so ago, I played one of the games (fargo or the other one) a few times. At first I was scratching on the break about 50% of the time due to putting on unwanted eng and top. Once I figured that out, I stopped that.So I guess I was hitting in three or so without missing [calling pockets] 50+% and about half of those were combinations.

One time and I must say I have never done this, I hit in 8. I was playing the game where you have to hit the balls in order after 10 balls. I saw that I was two away from that and freaked and missed the next one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I just see 9 ball as a much harder game than my skill and I guess that part seemed too hard. I quit playing after that. It was kind of like a quit while you are ahead thing.

I think the hitting 3 in before missing is typical of what I go in a game [ I mean once per game], unless it is a real bad rack. Then I have to hit 1-2 and hide, because I am not good enough to break up clusters or to bank them in. So I have played safe to compensate for other weaknesses. Then just like I freaked in the game, I freak over the last ball and the eight if I am playing an sl4 or sl5. Usually I only got to that point, anyway by playing so much safe I drove the innings up to anywhere between 7 and 10 so I could wait on the easy shots. LOL

So even though I know that I have to get past these negative tapes, I am also wondering how these ball numbers equate to skill levels.

I do not count the one time I hit in 8 since it wont probably happen again until I am much better or the one game I beat the four in two innings because either I was in the zone or just beginner's luck.

I am not trying to make excuses..it is just that I want to know what the number of sunk balls mean so that I can evaluate the way I play 90% of the time and also tell when I am getting a little better.

bw

Popcorn
01-25-2003, 01:57 PM
You don't really need the game to practice, You can use a piece of paper. You can also make up your own practice games that can be fun. My wife and I have made up a number of games we can play that handicap the game but keeps it fun for both of us.

silverbullet
01-25-2003, 04:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> You don't really need the game to practice, You can use a piece of paper. You can also make up your own practice games that can be fun. My wife and I have made up a number of games we can play that handicap the game but keeps it fun for both of us. <hr /></blockquote>

My favorite with ww is 5 2 race which makes me a sl4, but since I am not a four, I get to choose the handicap. My choice-ww cannot use top, bottom left or right. ww says that is no fun for him... poor thing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ww does not like that handicap..gosh it is better than our old ones..7-2 race, i got 3 bih per game or the first one was he could only do double banks. geez and i thought i was being easy on him /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bw

JackPot_George
01-27-2003, 10:52 AM
If you have accessto a pool table on a regular basis then you are half way there.

One of the best ways to practice by yourself and have an average or porcentage of play will be racking the 15 balls in the regular triangular shape as if you were going to play 8 ball but the order of the balls do not matter. More as if it was a game of straight pool.

You brake, start making any available balls no matter the order. If you miss or scratch or foul in any way then you take ball in hand and start trying again to run all the balls. You have 3 balls in hand per rack. You play 10 racks for a total of 150 balls. Depending on what you m,ake at the end then you will know your porcentage of play.

Think it is easy... give it a try. my best score has been a 95%.

When you are good enough to pocket all 150 balls consistently then you take 2 balls in hand per rack, and then when you are good you take 1, and then none (which is the hardest).

Something I can tell you about this game is that you get pretty good at straight pool. Another is that the repetition of the game makes you aware of several different patterns to finish the game and another to do what pool is all about... POCKET BALLS!!!

Good luck and tell me your results...

bluewolf
01-27-2003, 07:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JackPot_George:</font><hr> If you have accessto a pool table on a regular basis then you are half way there.

One of the best ways to practice by yourself and have an average or porcentage of play will be racking the 15 balls in the regular triangular shape as if you were going to play 8 ball but the order of the balls do not matter. More as if it was a game of straight pool.

You brake, start making any available balls no matter the order. If you miss or scratch or foul in any way then you take ball in hand and start trying again to run all the balls. You have 3 balls in hand per rack. You play 10 racks for a total of 150 balls. Depending on what you m,ake at the end then you will know your porcentage of play.

Think it is easy... give it a try. my best score has been a 95%.

When you are good enough to pocket all 150 balls consistently then you take 2 balls in hand per rack, and then when you are good you take 1, and then none (which is the hardest).

Something I can tell you about this game is that you get pretty good at straight pool. Another is that the repetition of the game makes you aware of several different patterns to finish the game and another to do what pool is all about... POCKET BALLS!!!

Good luck and tell me your results...

<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks. That I like. Other than some games where once you miss you dont get to shoot anymore but have to start over.

bw