PDA

View Full Version : Shaft care - Techniques for smoothing the shaft

Buckster_uk
01-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Hi.

I have been sandpapering my shaft since i started to play with my cue with fine sandpaper, and this helps me with my loop bridge on screw shots as it goes through my bridge real easy. Now, I just wanted to know, is there a way to get that smoothness other than sandpapering the cue? I am hopefully getting a new cue soon and dont want to sandpaper it as it is gonna go green etc with chalk. I wash my hands before each game I play so i dont have any sweatiness / stickiness on my hands, what other techniques are there to get the feel of a sandpapered shaft without actually sandpapering it?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-25-2003, 10:23 AM
Buck,

This question comes up at least once a week lately. You need to go back through and find the threads about cleaning the shaft. They are many widely disparate opinions. I know what works for me, but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Wally in the Natti

01-25-2003, 11:21 AM
Yes, there's a long post about this 2 days ago titled "using ajax to clean your shaft." I decided to use the whole q smooth line (q clean, q smooth, q slick, and q glide). The "q smooth" kit is little very very fine sandpaper slips. I used those and it feels great and just a very tiny amount of wood was lost. For example, I had a very small nick in the shaft, after using the fine sanding slips, the nick was still just as deep. That's a bad thing if you want nicks out but I was happy that it didn't take off that much wood. I reccommend it. Hope this helps!

Wally_in_Cincy
01-25-2003, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> Yes, there's a long post about this 2 days ago titled "using ajax to clean your shaft."

<font color="blue">That's not the only thread about this /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

I decided to use the whole q smooth line (q clean, q smooth, q slick, and q glide). The "q smooth" kit is little very very fine sandpaper slips.

<font color="blue">That's what I have used for 3 years and it works well for me. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Rod
01-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Junior, did you alcohol to clean the shaft? BTW you get those small nicks out after the shaft is clean. Wet a cotton cue tip and put it on the ding. Keep re-wetting until the wood raises the ding out.Then go back with the papers just in that area.

01-25-2003, 02:52 PM
Rod-
No, actually I changed my mind and went with the q smooth kit, which I was happy with. I imagine I will try alcohol also to see how it compares. Putting more water on the shaft to get out the ding sounds like it risks warping, plus id doesn't really bother me. How safe is this method of getting out dings?

01-25-2003, 02:56 PM
Rod-
No, actually I changed my mind and went with the q smooth kit, which I was happy with. I imagine I will try alcohol also to see how it compares. Putting more water on the shaft to get out the ding sounds like it risks warping, plus the ding doesn't really bother me. How safe is this method of getting out dings?

L.S. Dennis
01-25-2003, 03:16 PM
yes this has been coming up quite a bit lately. I myself like useing fine sandpaper for the ultimate smoothness (once the shaft has been thourghly clean with alcohol or whatever. I do this on my lathe. As far as getting dings out I've found the best way that works for me is to STEAM them out. Some people use the steam from a hot steam iron, I like putting the tea kettle on the stove and waiting until it starts whistling then put the dinged shaft directly over the burst of steam from the kettle. No you won't hurt the shaft by doing this, I've done it many times.

I'm sure the professional cue repair people are not all that happy with these posts!

01-25-2003, 03:32 PM
well, water works just as well, just moisten a piece of cloth or whatever... I'd use cotton... and clean your shaft with it... u'd have to do this operation more often than u would if u used sandpaper... but it keeps your shaft intact. and it's always available

Rod
01-25-2003, 04:57 PM
Your using a cotton cue tip, it keeps it wet in that VERY small area. Were not talking about soaking the shaft. No possible way will it warp a shaft. I've steamed them and run under water for a lot of dings. They have to be sanded after that of course. It is very difficult to warp a seasoned shaft. If it ever does warp it won't be because of a drop of water! If you like dings fine but you'll be missing out on a simple repair.

01-25-2003, 05:05 PM
I have a cuetec cue, I just buy their cleaner/conditioner solution. So thats all I have to use.. to clean my shaft.

TonyM
01-25-2003, 11:53 PM
Junior, don't be so worried about using water to get out dings. A little bit of water applied locally will NOT warp a shaft! Hell, I've run them under a tap with no harm!

The standard ding removal technique is very safe.

I've removed thousands of dents and dings with a method like Rod mentioned with no problems whatsoever.

Wood is far more tolerant to abuse than you can imagine. A little bit of water is nothing to be afraid of.

Tony