PDA

View Full Version : Home Heating Unit/Fuse, Help!

Sid_Vicious
01-25-2003, 11:25 AM
This is definitely NPR,,,I came into a cold house last night, the Carrier Heat Pump didn't even show the lamp usually glowing on the thermostat and of course nothing worked. I went through this same thing once before and thought I had checked all of the fuses, and eventually called the professional($$) and he ended up surfacing a buss type fuse somewhere within the inside unit which fixed me up. I didn't see where that fuse was located, but know it is in the inside unit somewhere and appears to be soldered in-line(I know this because the old dead fuse is still on tom of the unit from last time(lucky!) Btw I did thoroughly check the switches at the main pwr box, just like last time, all seemingly good.

Any of y'all know anything about this buss fuse, where it is and what value it is? The old was is pretty crud-ed up with flux to read. Thanks for any help...sid~~~b-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r

Rod
01-25-2003, 12:24 PM
Sid,
Why don't you take it down to Home Depot or Ace and let them identify it. I've never heard of a fuse soldered in place. Usually there in the power box just outside the unit. Do you have a volt meter to check power at the unit or at the circut breaker?
Get the model number and if you like go online to find a manuel. You may find one in Acrobat reader at their web site. Just a couple of ideas. Who needs a heater? LOL Those early morning showers are more exciting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
01-25-2003, 12:28 PM
There's very little in the control box, 3 bug honker fuses, two relays and a transformer. I'm guessing the fuse is under a relay or strapped to the transformer. I'm going to power down and begin gutting it, but may get a friend to help just in case I missed a power switch somewhere.

I will go to home depot as soon as I actually locate the one in there now. It may be easier to read numbers than the oldest one...sid

Rod
01-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Well what I was thinking, the old one may or may not be a fuse. It could be identified if it was common. Actually I prefer ACE HD is a rat race and some of those people are not experienced. Did you take an ohm meter and check those 3 fuses? I've had several of them go bad. It only takes one for the unit not to work.

Sid_Vicious
01-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Rod...I found a burnt wire due to a lot of resistance following a spade lug getting loose. All's well again, thanks...sid

CarolNYC
01-26-2003, 03:24 AM
Hi SID,
I know the Bussman fuse protects against over voltage, but I will ask my husband,being he is an electrician,just to make sure! Glad your warm!
Carol:)

Sid_Vicious
01-26-2003, 08:51 AM
I assume you were writing to me and not Rod, so I'll say thanks and let you know that it wasn't the buss fuse. I had a 10gauge wire burned in two right at one of the sequencers near the spade lug. I assume that is worked very loose and then built up enough resistance to kill the wire like that. Ask your husband if you don't mind, "Would the sequencer(a relay type device as I understand it) be damaged in all of this?" Reason I ask is because the outside heat pump compressor and fan doesn't cycle now. Everything worked prior to the entire blackout. Now I'm restricted to using the emergency heat which if pricey warmth.

Don't get deeply involved with this issue, I'm at least in some heat now. I'd still like to beat the problem though...sid

CarolNYC
01-27-2003, 05:37 AM
Sid,
Yes, the device could be damaged on one phase due to the lack of voltage and amperage of the loose connection created!
Hope I helped!
Carol