PDA

View Full Version : What's a good price for used table?

dmgwalsh
01-26-2003, 07:47 AM
I'm gonna get a used table for my basement. Does not have to be a furniture type. I want at least an 8 footer, maybe a nine.
A guy gave me a price of 2300 for a used 9 foot Brunswick Gold Crown; 1300 for a 8 foot pro ( a little bigger) Are these reasonable prices. If they set up and recover, what should I be aware of? Thanks for any tips. Dennis

01-26-2003, 11:03 AM
Considering how Brunswick's generally have better resale value than most others, those prices are very good for a GC. So good that I'd be a bit wary if I were you, and first have them inspected thoroughly by a qualified mechanic. Just for reference, new 9' GC's with ball return go for about $9,000 around here IIRC. The shop where I just bought my Brunswick Avalon I believe had an 8' GC with drop pockets for around $6,000.

If you don't have plenty of room (at least 14x20 or so) don't try to squeeze a 9' in there -- you'll likely be happier with an 8'. An 8.5' (pro) would be even better, again, if you can squeeze it. I have a 13'2" x 21' pool room and the width is barely enough to play comfortably on my 8' table -- a 9' or even an 8.5' would've been a mistake I think.

David

Popcorn
01-26-2003, 03:20 PM
It is like anything else used, you need take a good look at the table. Most of the Gold crowns are sold to poolrooms. If it came from a poolroom it may have taken some abuse. Also the table may have been in several poolrooms in it's life and has been moved and put together and taken apart a number of times. I looked at some tables once where they had disassembled and moved them without even marking the parts. You had no idea what parts went to what tables. I passed on them, but a billiard supply did buy them. I knew a few guys that bought a couple of the tables later and they were never right. Get under the table and look at the slate from the bottom for any signs of cracks or repairs. While there just look at the table in general. The price is not bad, but not a bargain either. I would give myself some time to look to see what is around from a private seller. Check the newspaper. There can be some real bargains if you are not in too much of a hurry.

Popcorn
01-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Where are yu getting those prices? I would not put a used Gold Crown at more the $2500.

01-26-2003, 04:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Where are yu getting those prices? I would not put a used Gold Crown at more the $2500. <hr /></blockquote>I'm getting them from my local Brunswick authorized dealer, and also from the nearest upscale PH. The PH just bought brand new 8' and 9' GC's with ball returns last year, and the owner claimed they were $10,000 tables. I thought that sounded steep, but then I saw an 8' GC with drop pockets on the showroom floor for nearly $6,000. And these weren't MSRP prices. I think MSRP is quite a bit above that. Heck, my Brunswick Avalon is nowhere near a GC, and it was $3500 (MSRP $4300). Brunswick tables are just expensive. So $2500 for a used GC is a very good deal, at least in my area, provided the slate and cabinet are in decent condition.

Oh, and this same dealer put a new 9' GC together for a local Nick Varner/Johnny Archer exhibition match a couple months ago. After the match, Varner and Archer autographed the rails and the table sold the next week for $12,000! This same dealer has an AMF Playmaster on the floor priced at over $12,000 as well -- for that much money I'd definitely choose the GC.

David

Popcorn
01-26-2003, 04:30 PM
This is what I am talking about. Here is an example of a table that was for sale near me. It is not that unusual. I have a Gold Crown I got for $400. and moved it myself. That is by the way, about what the local billiard supply offered for the table to take it off their hands. They choose to sell it to me. I am curious where you live?

http://www.bargaintraderonline.com/addetail.html?38810540

01-26-2003, 04:52 PM
Wish I could find a deal like that! If I could've bought a nice used GC for $2000 or less, I would've been all over it. Instead I "settled" for a new Avalon. Don't get me wrong, the Avalon is a beautiful table and plays great, but it sure would have been nice to have my own Gold Crown! I'd buy every GC I could find for the prices you're seeing and make a nice profit reselling them around here.

Here's an eBay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=2703295371&amp;category=21 213) to a 5-year old 9' GC selling for $2,900. Notice in his ad he states "$7,000 to $10,000 RETAIL". There's another 10-year old GC on eBay with the bid currently at $750, but it has a reserve that isn't disclosed.

I live in N.W. Georgia, but the dealer and PH I'm talking about are in Chattanooga, TN about 30 miles away. The next nearest authorized Brunswick dealer was in Atlanta, and he couldn't touch the prices from this Chattanooga dealer. So I feel like their prices for NEW tables are fair, and given the purported residual value of Brunswick tables, I would still think $2500 for a used GC (in good condition of course) is a good buy. Of course, the value is determined by what the market will bear, and maybe your local market is saturated with GC's, hence the drop in price. Around here GC's are pretty rare, only found in the upscale PH's in the larger urban areas like Atlanta and Chattanooga.

David

01-26-2003, 05:03 PM
buying used pool tables is something of an art. like a lot of things.

everyone has stories about the widow selling off the old man's pool table:

((his last words: well, i may as well confess, dear, that i was foolin around with your sister.

her last words to him: yes, my love, i know. that's why i poisoned you. and i'm selling your pool table for ten dollars.))

i still say that one of the best ways to approach the deal is to buy into the right mechanic. they keep their eyes out for good tables and you should be able to expect the guy to be around to make it right down the road.

around here, $2500 delivered and installed with simonis is an ok price for a decent used 9'crown. down here, you want ball return; go bowling.

dan

Popcorn
01-26-2003, 05:04 PM
I think one of the things in south Florida is homes don't have sellers. Most homes don't even have a place you could put a table if you wanted to unless you want it taking up your whole living room. I had to remove a wall between my living room and a bedroom. It created a nice L shaped room with the table off the main room as if it were designed to be that way. They are hard to sell. Once they don't want it or are selling the house, it just goes to the highest offer. I had someone give me a Gandy Big G just to get it out of the house they had just bought. Now that you have me thinking, South Florida may be the cheapest market for tables around.

#### leonard
01-27-2003, 07:55 AM
A pool friend called me about a used table the fellow wanted 700 for. It was a new cheap table. I told him watch the want ads someone will being selling an old table. In less than a month I received a call from him. I just bought and old Brunswick for $1200. I went with him to dismantle the table and prepare it for moving. It was a Brunswick Pfister model. I had him call Ron Blatt of Blatts in NYC,he had one for sale $32,000. It would take him 9 months to deliver. Now aren't you happy you waited I said. ####

Cueless Joey
01-27-2003, 09:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> A pool friend called me about a used table the fellow wanted 700 for. It was a new cheap table. I told him watch the want ads someone will being selling an old table. In less than a month I received a call from him. I just bought and old Brunswick for $1200. I went with him to dismantle the table and prepare it for moving. It was a Brunswick Pfister model. I had him call Ron Blatt of Blatts in NYC,he had one for sale $32,000. It would take him 9 months to deliver. Now aren't you happy you waited I said. #### <hr /></blockquote>
I found a used Brunswick table for a friend of mine years ago. He bought it for chump change. He called Brunswick and gave him the serial number of the table. It turns out to be a Centennial table worth about 7K. Figures. I didn't have room then.

TomBrooklyn
01-27-2003, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> It was a Brunswick Pfister model. Blatts in NYC had one for $32,000. <hr /></blockquote>Hi #, Whats a Pfister look like? Is it an antique? -T

SPetty
01-27-2003, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Whats a Pfister look like? <hr /></blockquote> http://www.antique-pool-table.com/Pfister%20side%202.JPG

#### leonard
01-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Tom If you go to BlattBilliards.com or Brunswick.com I think you will be able to locate the table. In my day I have let many a gem slip by. Brunswick in the Olden Days made bars and backbars. I walked into a local bar and was impressed by the bar and back bar. The bartender/owner was taken back when I said to the fellow with me, who had pointed out the beauty of the bar, oh Sarcasion Walnut. How did you know that he asked I told him Brunswick used that wood on the Arcade and Kling model pool tables and they probably made this bar and back bar. He said I was the first person to have ever named the wood in the years he owned the bar.####

dmgwalsh
02-02-2003, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Where are yu getting those prices? I would not put a used Gold Crown at more the $2500. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm looking to get something in the Chicago area. Looking in the papers and on ebay. I've got plenty of room in the unfinished basement for a nine footer.I'd love to get a good Brunswick, but the wife doesn't want me to spend too much. Dennis

02-02-2003, 11:06 PM
I think it is a great price for the table.Considering it is in decent shape and still plays well.shoot on the table before you buy it see if your cue ball rolls around makes u turns or what.If the table isn't level them level it and shoot on it use a three rail bank off the diamonds make sure it ends up in the right place.if the table plays true it is probably a good table.then you just have to decide if you like the looks.