PDA

View Full Version : Good vs Bad Tables - Table Manufacturer's

03-14-2002, 05:54 PM
I'm looking to buy a pool table and would like to get a fairly high qaulity table. What should I look for? Single slate, manufacturer, etc??? please help!

JimS
03-14-2002, 06:42 PM
You don't give enough information for anyone to make any kind of reasonable recommendations.

What size table are you looking for? You'll need to add about 5' to each side and end of the table to have enough room to play. For example; for a 9 ft table you'd need a room very close to 18' by 15', minimum. Do you want a professional type table for serious play, or perhaps something for the kids to learn on, or do you need to have a pretty piece of furniture with carved legs etc.? How much are you looking to spend? Forget it...that's not enough..lolol. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif How much are you willing to spend? How long have you been playing and at what skill level do you play, beginner, intermediate, advanced?

Give it up!

03-14-2002, 07:07 PM
skill level - beginner
table size - 8 ft
$ range - 1500-3000
used or new is ok
want something of good quality that can be played pleasantly by all skill levels and also nice to look at (some curvy legs). I was looking at an Olhausen (Eclipse), and it suited my taste well.

Any other info needed? I have a family geneology tree somewhere...doh!

Thanks
Doug

03-14-2002, 07:21 PM
If your looking for a decent looking and pretty good playing table for recreational and family use the olhausen will do you fine. Make sure you have enough room and good lighting. If you think your going to get serious about the game and have the room I'd strongly think about a 9 footer
(not necessarily the olhausen)

03-14-2002, 07:30 PM
thanks!

what manufacturer do you reccomend for a 9 foot table that is fairly high qulaity and under $3000.

JimS
03-14-2002, 08:26 PM
There are many manufacturers that I know nothing about. I'm not an expert just a guy that's bought a couple of tables.

I looked at Olhausen's and researched them and found that there were very few serious complaints about them. I bought a Brunswick because I liked the dealer. He seemed more honest and less full of crap than the Olhausen dealer in the area.

You want 3 piece slate on an 8 ft table, 1" thick, imo. Get good cloth, preferably Simonis 860 as that's what most good tables in pool halls or tournaments will have.

Talk with the dealers and see who seems the most likely to stand behind their work and product. I believe that this is probably as important as any other single factor in this decision.

03-15-2002, 11:40 AM
Loop, if you can find a Brunswick Gold Crown I or II, used, in your area, get it. It will sell around $2K to $2500. It is built to last a lifetime. It is the table of choice for most players. You can also get the excellent Diamond table for a over 3K. I would not get an Olhausen as their frame are weak and their cushions play much differently than the conventional cushions. Olh's also have very wide pockets. If you go for traditional home tables, Brunswick, World of Leisure or Pro-line are what I'd suggest. I'd stay away from Olh's, Gandy or Leisure Bay.

03-17-2002, 09:49 AM

04-02-2002, 10:40 AM
"I would not get an Olhausen as their frame are weak and their cushions play much differently than the conventional cushions."
Both comments are dead wrong. The Olhausen tables have the strongest frame available. Weyerhauser International Testing Laboratories in Seattle, WA ran a series of tests on Olhausen frames and the frames withstood pressures in excess of 25,000 lbs.
Olhausen's "Accu-Fast" cushions are the most consistent cushion available on any table you can buy. If consistent is different then the competion is the cushion to stay away from. The "Accu-Fast" cushions are a true K-66 profile cushion, therefore a "conventional" cushion. The difference is the quality of the raw materials and superior American technology that are used in the production of "Accu-Fast." "Accu-Fast" cushions are the only cushions that are 100% bonded to the rail.
If you want accurate information on pool tables I'm currently available at firehog@totacc.com. I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Dan Chester
Works on pool tables, sells pool tables.

04-02-2002, 11:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Dan C.:</font><hr> "I would not get an Olhausen as their frame are weak and their cushions play much differently than the conventional cushions."
Both comments are dead wrong. The Olhausen tables have the strongest frame available. Weyerhauser International Testing Laboratories in Seattle, WA ran a series of tests on Olhausen frames and the frames withstood pressures in excess of 25,000 lbs.
Olhausen's "Accu-Fast" cushions are the most consistent cushion available on any table you can buy. If consistent is different then the competion is the cushion to stay away from. The "Accu-Fast" cushions are a true K-66 profile cushion, therefore a "conventional" cushion. The difference is the quality of the raw materials and superior American technology that are used in the production of "Accu-Fast." "Accu-Fast" cushions are the only cushions that are 100% bonded to the rail.
If you want accurate information on pool tables I'm currently available at firehog@totacc.com. I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Dan Chester
Works on pool tables, sells pool tables.
<hr></blockquote>..............
Olhausen cushions play much differently than a conventional k66. Olh's cushions were turned down by BCA until Butch Olhausen became the president of BCA. They play differently than Artemis or Superspeed. Pros hate them. You will have to "reengineer" your game when you play on Olh's tables. Their pockets are wide like the previous poster mentioned. Their frame are weak too. Olh's has a great dealer support but their tables are made to look pretty from the outside.
I'd get a use Gold Crown I or II or the new Diamond tables.

Gayle in MD
04-02-2002, 11:53 AM
Hi there, I don't know where you live, but you might want to look into the post from Brady regarding the press release on his US Open Tournament. The new Diamond Pro tables will be sold after the tournament for $4.000.00 each, which is a great deal. I own a Diamond Pro and it is a peach of a table! I love it. You say you want an eight foot table, but practicing on a nine footer, with the smaller pro cut pockets, has greatly improved my game, and I am relatively new to the game of pool. Just a few thoughts to add into your equation. Feel free to e-mail me for a more in depth discussion regarding my own experience in deciding which table to pruchase.
Good Luck!
Gayle in Md.

04-02-2002, 12:43 PM
Yet another "Anonymous" poster wrote:<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>They play differently than Artemis or Superspeed. <hr></blockquote>
Does Artemis play exactly like Superspeed (Brunswick) cushions? Do all other cushions play exactly the same? Don't think so. One has to be able to adapt to any number of different conditions, i.e. humidity, age of table, cloth, etc. BTW Olhausen warranties their cushions for LIFE and does not exclude "climatic conditions", does anyone else? No.
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> Pros hate them.<hr></blockquote> Really? Which ones? I don't remember the top trick shot guys (Massey, etc.) having trouble with them (complants) during that ESPN thing.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>You will have to "reengineer" your game when you play on Olh's tables.<hr></blockquote> I have not found this to be true. Any good player makes small adjustments based on climatic conditions (humidity, etc.) anyway.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> Their pockets are wide like the previous poster mentioned.<hr></blockquote> Really? Let's look at the BCA rulebook on this one (page 6, 2001 edition):
"POCKET OPENINGS &amp; MEASUREMENTS (cloth covered rails):
Corner Pocket : Mouth.....4 7/8" min to 5 1/8" max
Side Pocket: Mouth.....5 3/8" min to 5 5/8" max"
My 9' Olhausen Pocket openings measure:
Corner...4 7/8" and Side...5 3/8"
Anything smaller would not be BCA legal.
If you desire "tighter" pockets, then shim the pockets...find the CCB thread on this subject
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Their frame are weak too. <hr></blockquote>Where do you get your information? It is true that Weyerhauser (an INDEPENDENT testing lab) tested Olhausen's fames in excess of 25,000 lbs. and they held. How do others compare? Is 25,000 lbs. weak? What are planing on useing your table for? If I bump my table hard with my hip, the balls don't go anywhere. The table is very solid.<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Olh's has a great dealer support but their tables are made to look pretty from the outside. <hr></blockquote>...and play beautifully, consistantly, for years and years...backed up with the strongest warranty in the industry.

Tim~~ and yes, I sign my name to my posts :-)

04-03-2002, 11:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Olh's cushions were turned down by BCA until Butch Olhausen became the president of BCA.
Wrong again! They were never "turned down." Read the BCA equipment specs.
CUSHION:
Cushions should react so that they conform under controlled conditions to the three cushion angles prescribed in the "diamond" (or site) system showing in the diagram on page 161 of Billiards: The Official Rules and Records Book to 1 ball width. The speed of the table cushions should be such that placement of a ball on the head spot, shooting through the foot spot, using center ball english, with a level cue and firm stroke, the ball must travel a minimum of 4 to 4 1/2 lengths of the table without jumping.

Butch has never been BCA President. He is currently the second Vice-President.
This anonymous poster sounds a lot like a fellow in Las Cruces called "NimBill", facts don't slow him down either.

Cueless Joey
04-04-2002, 12:54 AM
I played on the same black Olh's Championship table that was used in Viejas, San Diego for the finals between Fisher and Lee at the old Best Billiards store years ago. I did not like the table at all. The ball hopped when you shot a two rail kick in the corners. I looked at the frame right under the slates. I saw pieces of plywood all over.
I've played in a local hall with Gold Crowns with Artemis cushions done by Ernesto. They play absolutely superb. Ernesto even recommends Artemis cushions. The new Diamond tables are going to come with Artemis now I believe.
And, I don't know if it's coincidence but, year in and year out, the best new pool rooms accross America almost are never equipped with Olh's.

05-31-2002, 12:52 AM
"the ball hopped"

Im not saying it didn't but I play frequently on Olhausens and the ball hopping is not a problem.

"I saw pieces of plywood all over"

Its called a slate liner (fiberboard). It's to quite the game and provide a good platform for cloth installation. It has nothing to to with the strength of the table.

I have some experience in the industry and have found the Olhausens among the best. The cushions are more consistant and longer lasting than any other, the table is the strongest, and the warranty is the best in the industry as well. There is some misinformation on this forum (Brunswick employees?) Why do they use Olhausens(among others) in pro tournements? Yes I know Olhausen pays but I don't think pro's would allow a poor table to be used. By the way, what company sells the most pool tables in the world? Just curious.

Scott