PDA

View Full Version : zen and sports

bluewolf
01-26-2003, 06:06 PM
I frequently go back to meditation and zen to get refocused or reflect. The following is an exerpt from 'Zen in the martial arts' and the teaching comes from Bruce Lee. Although the words speak of martial arts, imo, it could be pool also and I find it to be of value.

" A good martial artist puts his mind on one thing at a time. He takes each thing as it comes, finishes with it, and passes on to the next. Like a Zen Master, he is not concerned with the past or the future, only with what he is doing at the moment. Because his mind is tight, he is calm and able to maintain strength in reserve. And there will be room for only one thought, which will fill his entire being as water fills a pitcher...."

bluewolf

TomBrooklyn
03-30-2003, 06:11 AM
What is zen?

9 Ball Girl
03-30-2003, 08:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> What is zen? <hr /></blockquote>

a Japanese sect of Mahayana Buddhism that aims at enlightenment by direct intuition through meditation

bluewolf
03-30-2003, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> What is zen? <hr /></blockquote>

It is a way of life and perception. It would take a really long time to explain it because I learned it over about 10 years.There are two books which could give you an inkling, actually three, if they are still in print

Zen in the Martial Arts
Zen Mind, Beginner's mind
Journey of awakening-a meditators guidebook

If you want a succint definition, I suggest that you email your question to Fast /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sorry I mentioned it /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gifFoot in the mouth syndrome, I guess...

Laura

TomBrooklyn
05-21-2003, 07:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>It would take a really long time to explain Zen<hr /></blockquote>I've been thinking about what you wrote for a couple of months now. It seems like it takes a long time to understand Zen. I heard about a guy who decided to become a Zen Monk in Japan. He was told that he most obey every rule without question, and every ten years he would be allowed to speak, but only two words.

After ten years he went before the Abbot and being told he may speak, he said "Bad Food."

Another ten years passed and once more the aspiring monk faced the Abbot. This time he said "No Heat."

A third decade passed, and before the Abbot once again, the awakening monk said "I'm Leaving." He then got up and began to leave the monastery.

A senior Monk rose to call him back but the Abbot placed his hand on the his shoulder and said: "Let him go, all he did was complain."

heater451
05-21-2003, 09:08 PM
When, Why, and how are Zen.

=================

Fred Agnir
05-22-2003, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> When, Why, and how are Zen.

<hr /></blockquote>Is that a question, or the answer?

Fred &lt;~~~ hates these damn double-entendres

heater451
05-22-2003, 09:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> When, Why, and how are Zen.

<hr /></blockquote>Is that a question, or the answer?

Fred &lt;~~~ hates these damn double-entendres <hr /></blockquote>Yes.

=====================

Qtec
05-25-2003, 10:55 AM
Like it.Nice one.Here,s somthing in the same vein.A tortoise gets mugged bij 4 snails.When he eventually gets to the police station ,the cop who is taking down the details ńsks the snail if he thinks he would recognise the muggers again.The tortoise thinks about it and says"no,I dont think so,it all happened so fast"

Qtec
05-25-2003, 11:05 AM
This is exactly how you should play pool.This state of mind is now commonly referred to as the "zone"The problem is getting there.I can offer a way.Sound interesting?

bluewolf
05-25-2003, 01:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> This is exactly how you should play pool.This state of mind is now commonly referred to as the "zone"The problem is getting there.I can offer a way.Sound interesting? <hr /></blockquote>

Definately. Spill the beans, please. I can only describe my state in a match, not how I got there.FL gave me a clue, but still do not know how i get there. Just that I am in the moment, past games or future games dont exist. Sounds,etc do not exist either. All that exists is the table and the balls.I am told that very good players can be this way, but I am not a good player, so am at a loss as to why I am this way or how to get there.

Laura

bluewolf
05-25-2003, 04:43 PM
I went to Karate tournaments for about 5 years. The reason I went was to test my skill against other women in the same belt rank as I was. My main reason for wanting to win was so that I would get to fight again.

But during the fight, i was totally focused. This is the only way to do ones best. If someone is distracted by things around them, or the people they beat or their chances to win a trophy, the person will lose. Focus was everything. This is something I had to learn to do well in a tournament.

I did not care if I got a trophy, only if I fought my best and could be proud of my performance. Some could beat me, some I could beat. If I thought of anything but the match I was in, I would lose. When I learned focus and nothing matered outside of the match, I started winning.

I read an article in Black Belt Magazine. It talked about how obsessed the Americans were about getting those trophies and some were even nasty and thought that they were cheated. The article further stated that in China, after the match, they would all sit down together and drink tea. I won a lot of trophies and they took up too much space so I threw them all away. To me, they did not matter, only that I had done well.

I think that pool is like this. If I think, 'this person is a sandbagger', I am on the hill or he is, anything about my skill level or the level of the other person during the match, I will lose. If I only think about the game I am in, the balls and the table, I will play well, whether I win or not. Focus is everything. Doing my best in that particular game is everything. I do not always play in top form. I have good days and I have bad days in how I am playing. But if I play my best based on my ability that day, that is what is important.

Just like karate, i had to learn this in pool too. In the beginning, i was worried about winning or losing, who was on the hill and the skill of my opponent. I lost matches.

It was only when one day, I could be in the present and not think but just play that I started to win and even when I lost i felt good if I played well.

Laura

Qtec
05-25-2003, 09:30 PM
All in good time my Dear,first i need more information.You say you are not a good player,when you play your match,do you expect to lose?What is your level?Lets say your opponent breaks and scratches[9 ball].The balls are well spread.Whats the chance of you potting all the balls?Could you do it twice in a row?As for the zone thing,dont give it another moments thought.Just keep on doing what you are doing.The worst thing that you can do if you want to play good pool,is to start analysing your own game.

bluewolf
05-26-2003, 09:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> All in good time my Dear,first i need more information.You say you are not a good player,when you play your match,do you expect to lose?What is your level?Lets say your opponent breaks and scratches[9 ball].The balls are well spread.Whats the chance of you potting all the balls?Could you do it twice in a row?As for the zone thing,dont give it another moments thought.Just keep on doing what you are doing.The worst thing that you can do if you want to play good pool,is to start analysing your own game. <hr /></blockquote>

I have only been playing a year and was sick for one half of that. All things considered I am doing pretty good, but not nearly as good at pool as I was at karate. The best things about my game are my break and my strategy. My shooting is getting better. I think that it is good enough now that I could run a rack of easily spread balls. The thing that would keep me from doing this is limited shape skills.

I guess my attitude is just shoot and whatever happens happens. I did not used to be this way but somewhere along the way, I got back that consciousness I had in karate. I play my best because I am focused. Winning or losing no longer matters although my win % is good since I rediscovered the 'flow'.

About thinking. 3 times I think
Practice
Reading the table in the beginning
Planning the best safe when I need to play one

For me competition and thinking do not mix.
If I think while competing I play bad.
If i only see pictures ie angle line etc but do not think in words, i play much better.

Level? Not sure what you mean but that no longer matters.It like so many things is a box that tells nothing about the person. I have chosen to be outside of the box.I play league to see my friends. That is all. I do not play it anymore to get a certain number which is also just a box. Our western society loves to put people in boxes, label, categorize, analyze. Then the person thinks that they are the box ie label, when they are much more. It is too bad that most people are afraid to let go of their boxes. But that is what is required to be 'in the flow'.

Playing pool this way, I improve and I do win.The thought of losing does not enter my mind because only the balls and the table exist, not even the games before or later.

I was playing a certain player. I guess I lost track of the games and went up the shake hands because I thought that she had won. Then I found out we had to play again. I guess it was then I realized I am not outside of the game that I am in when competing in pool.

Laura

TomBrooklyn
06-04-2003, 03:27 AM
This is something I heard today.

How many Zen Buddhists does it take to change a light bulb?

Two. One to change it, one not to change it.

How many Zen Masters does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The universe changes the light bulb &amp; the Zen Master gets
out of the way.