PDA

View Full Version : Race to 1?

Karatemom
01-27-2003, 07:50 AM
Does anybody have or play in a race to 1, 8 ball, double or single elimination tourney? We've got em all over the place here, and they've now taken over our regular 9 ball handicap tourney. Race to 1 sounds like a crap shoot, but because it's 8 ball, there's not much of a luck factor.

Was wondering what everyone else thinks of this race to 1.

Heide

Wally_in_Cincy
01-27-2003, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Does anybody have or play in a race to 1, 8 ball, double or single elimination tourney? We've got em all over the place here, and they've now taken over our regular 9 ball handicap tourney. Race to 1 sounds like a crap shoot, but <font color="red"> because it's 8 ball, there's not much of a luck factor. </font color>

Was wondering what everyone else thinks of this race to 1.

Heide <hr /></blockquote>

I would disagree with that. The table layout after the break is of tremendous importance in 8-ball. I frequently lose tavern games to weaker players because of this. Of course I just slough it off and win the next 3 games /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and then they get mad and quit.

To your original question, I would not play in a race-to-one tournament. That's ridiculous. Race-to-two is bad enough. Why do players put up with that? Just to get home earlier?

Chris Cass
01-27-2003, 09:10 AM
Hi Wally,

That's what I say. I think it's BS. Race to 1 double elimination and a $10. entry fee. Not to mention $3. goes to time.

What it is, is that they had a good size handicap 9 Ball tourney but would let ringers in at a lower handicap. It was so blantently odvious you were getting suckered it was pathetic. The son of the TD. Things like that. Now, it's why doesn't anyone ever show? Where's my tourney? The TD of the other house did the same. Only it's the backer, the baby sitter, the buddy that has no cash. Ya just can't win and if you do? Bingo, your handicap is too low. Them? Oh, they have to win twice. So, they split second everytime.

Originally, Jon Kucharo told the TD of one house that to get a draw he should offer a race to 1, double elimination tourney, add $100. and NO ENTRY fee. Reasoning, he'd make more money with food and drinks, with the tourney taking so long to finish. You'd get a hundred players for free entry. They also jacked the damm food prices. This guys crazy if he thinks he'll get back the money he invested with new updates on his equipment in 1 yr.

Well, elcheapo who's son BTW always gets picked for the break pot. Decided to drill everyone and add nothing, charge $10. and take $3. table time. That's why he has no business and that's what they do. They go out to screw the players and I'm sick of it. They even smile at you while they do it.

Regards,

C.C.~~venting and agreeing with Wally.

ChrisW
01-27-2003, 09:25 AM
You are correct that $10 is to much for a RT1 tourney.

BUT.... I just got $65 from a RT1 tourney with a $3 entry.
They started it out as a no entry w/$100 added then it changed a few times but still has a great payout for little entry.

As far as the race to one format. If its a low entry (so I don't feel like I didn't have a chance to play)I don't mind them. I look at it has a handicapped tourney since just about anybody has a chance to win. That is pretty much the idea behind player ratings.

Barbara
01-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Heide,

In my old bar league this was their format for the 2 tournies they would hold during the season. It was pure bull sh$t for a format. But then again, they didn't have a legal hit rule and they had a 3-fouls-in-a-row is a loss rule.

One tourny, my first opponent nailed the 8 on the break. Then, my second opponent broke and ran out the table on me. I never hit a ball.

That was my last tournament.

Barbara

sliprock
01-27-2003, 01:02 PM
We have lots of race to one 8-ball tournys in my area (central ky). They are a crap shoot but that's part of the charm. The entries are usually $5-10 plus calcuttas. The tourny's usually get pretty good support because everyone feels like they have a chance to win. One good roll or good break and run and anyone can beat anybody else. Some of these tourny's have changed to race to 2, and the tournament suffered due to the advantage gained by the stronger players. The calcutta's also suffered because the weaker players value goes down when they have to beat a stronger player 2 games to win a set. As one of the stronger players in my area, I enjoy the longer sets, but I know that the weaker players need to have a chance or they wont support the tournament.JMO

SpiderMan
01-27-2003, 01:54 PM
We have one of those on Sunday nights at a local club in Dallas. It's 8-ball, race to one, double elimination. Sounds like a penny-ante little thing, race to one, but in reality it's done (at this house) because the tournament is very popular and there are only 3 tables. There's added money and even a Calcutta.

Race to one definitely increases the luck factor. Last time I played that tournament, both TJ Davis and Coy Lee Nicholson were entered, and both lost before the finals to lower-skilled players. In a longer race, they would probably have come back and prevailed. Instead, some lucky bastard in a red-and-blue costume sneaked across the finish line /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Fred Agnir
01-27-2003, 02:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Race to 1 sounds like a crap shoot, but because it's 8 ball, there's not much of a luck factor. <hr /></blockquote>
Be that as it may, at the end of the day, the luckiest crap shooter usually ends up being the person who played the best.

Fred

Ward
01-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Spiderman

We have one in Arlington on Sat afternoon, race to one 9ball but you get six poker chips, when you lose you turn in a chip last player with a chip wins.

I think it evens the playing field.
Later
Ward

SPetty
01-27-2003, 03:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Instead, some lucky bastard in a red-and-blue costume sneaked across the finish line /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>Boy, he musta been awful cute in one of these outfits:
http://www.threewisheslingerie.com/images/wonderwoman-d.jpg
http://www.threewisheslingerie.com/images/annie-csb.jpg

Or, you meant he was a superman? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://superman.ws/Costumes/s-1971.jpg

Oh, you meant this one... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
http://www.buycostumes.com/images/Product/Product225/4276.jpg

Congratulations!

Rod
01-27-2003, 03:37 PM
Is one a race? LOL I have seen it in a couple of bars somewhere sometime. What is more common is a race to two. I don't like short races. So your monday night tourney got bagged?

SpiderMan
01-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Do they do anything to ensure that everyone plays the same number of matches?

One of our LOs had a poker chip tourney a few weeks back. I think you started with 3 or 4 chips. He paired off everyone, then when you lost you went to the bottom of the list. When you won you stayed on the table. As you moved to the top of the list you played the winner left on the next open table. Slow players had the definite advantage, dawdle all day and you don't lose many chips.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
01-27-2003, 04:56 PM
You have a point. I played in the one Skillman runs on many Saturdays and some days I repeatedly drew TJ as many as 3 direct times in a row. Tell me THAT didn't put me at a starting disadvantage? You can definitely sink quickly with the system at that one(IMO.) I've never been clear on how the rotations go there, and if other chip TDs chose in an irregular fashion, things can stack agains you quickly...sid

Karatemom
01-27-2003, 04:57 PM
This Monday nite tourney has been going on for quite a while. Just recently, maybe in the last month, has it dwindled down to just about 8 players per tourney. I think it might have something to do with the cold weather we've had, but Chris thinks differently. They don't handicap correctly at all. They've let 8's and 9's come in as 6's and 7's. They let their "friends" in lower than they would anyone else. Makes most of us really angry, but we can gripe all we want, they do what they want. And if we don't want to shoot, we don't have to. That's the problem, I WANT TO!!

I hated the darn tourneys because for the longest time I wasn't going up. Week after week, going 2 and out, gets real old after a while. But I have never been known to quit. But just in the last week, I have noticed a slight improvement, be it ever so slight. It's enough for me to keep going. Of course, I'd find a reason to keep playing, even if I didn't have one, /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Since starting the BCA leagues, I'm more fond of 8 ball than 9 ball though. But not terribly fond of race to 1!

The TD changes his mind more than I change my hair color, /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. He totally destroyed the Tuesday nite tourneys. Those were for the higher handicapped players. Those would have coincided with league night anyway. He also used to have a Saturday 8 ball tourney, race to 3 I think, which he also gave the boot to. He's thinking about holding a one pocket tourney, but I don't know how often, or if he will even get enough players. There aren't many "good" one pocket players around here.

The competition across the river puts these race to 1 tourneys on 3 nites a week and does pretty good. I'm sure that's where he got the idea from. IMO, he should run a different format, not the same thing. He does put on a different tourney each month, usually on a Saturday, that has a good turn out.

So for now, I will go to this tourney tonite, see how I do and how I like it, and take it from there. But from the looks of it, I might just be shooting on Tuesdays, and the weekends. It's a disappointment, but I'm sure I could find something better to do with my time, like laundry! hahaha

Heide

Karatemom
01-27-2003, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
Be that as it may, at the end of the day, the luckiest crap shooter usually ends up being the person who played the best.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

You're absolutely right. I guess what I meant to say was that there doesn't seem to be as much luck in 8 ball than in 9 ball. At least in 8 ball, you have to call your pocket. Not to mention the fact that I've never seen so many players handicapped at a 3, slop in so darn many 9 balls!! hahaha

Heide

Karatemom
01-27-2003, 05:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> We have one of those on Sunday nights at a local club in Dallas. It's 8-ball, race to one, double elimination. Sounds like a penny-ante little thing, race to one, but in reality it's done (at this house) because the tournament is very popular and there are only 3 tables. There's added money and even a Calcutta.

Race to one definitely increases the luck factor. Last time I played that tournament, both TJ Davis and Coy Lee Nicholson were entered, and both lost before the finals to lower-skilled players. In a longer race, they would probably have come back and prevailed. Instead, some lucky bastard in a red-and-blue costume sneaked across the finish line /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Was it a bird? Was it a plane? No, it was.........sorry, wrong superhero!

Nice job, Spidey!

Heide ~ so you like them, huh?

Karatemom
01-27-2003, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sliprock:</font><hr> We have lots of race to one 8-ball tournys in my area (central ky). They are a crap shoot but that's part of the charm. The entries are usually $5-10 plus calcuttas. The tourny's usually get pretty good support because everyone feels like they have a chance to win. One good roll or good break and run and anyone can beat anybody else. Some of these tourny's have changed to race to 2, and the tournament suffered due to the advantage gained by the stronger players. The calcutta's also suffered because the weaker players value goes down when they have to beat a stronger player 2 games to win a set. As one of the stronger players in my area, I enjoy the longer sets, but I know that the weaker players need to have a chance or they wont support the tournament.JMO <hr /></blockquote>

I wouldn't be the weakest player, but would be considered one of the weaker players, but I would rather have a race to 2. If my opponent has one game on me, I still feel like I have a chance to win, even if he is better than me. You can't come from behind to win if you lose a race to 1.

Heide

dg-in-centralpa
01-27-2003, 06:28 PM
I just recently played a RT1, double elimination. It was at a private club I belong to and it was their first tournament. I was playing for the chance at the finals, when the guy broke and ran the table. I suggested a race to 2 on the winners side and a race to 1 on the losers.

bigbro6060
01-27-2003, 06:55 PM
THe Majority of Pub comps over here in Australia are knockout race to 1

Entry fee is only $5 aussie which is $2 US plus you get a free drink ! so it's not the expense.

It's really a social evening, lots of drinking and larking about. The attraction of a Race to 1 (combined with less than stellar tables) is that it gives everyone a shot at winning. Good players are often upset.

You can't take these comps seriously, they are just fun

Rod
01-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Heide,
Time will tell on the tournament. That's brutal if you play someone way under rated. 8 ball is a good game it gives you more options. It sounds like these two rooms have the only game in town. If they treat people poorly it will hurt them eventually. If I didn't like a tourney, I wouldn't support it, but that's me. Glad to see a little sparkle in your game, I hope you do well tonight.

Rod

Karatemom
01-27-2003, 10:56 PM
Hiya Rod! They changed the format per our vote. Nobody wanted a race to 1, so we played a race to 2. I came 2 out of the money. Played quite well, but my 8 ball game is better than my 9 ball game anyway.

Yep, they're the only two places in town, that aren't considered bars, for any pool action. We're not terribly keen on either one of them, but we usually go to the one that is closer to home. I don't do the bar scene so that's out of the question.

Heide

Karatemom
01-27-2003, 10:58 PM
They did change the race to 2 instead of 1. And I have to admit, I wasn't near as stiff and tense as usual. It was more fun than anything. They only charged $5 entry fee, so that wasn't too bad either. They didn't have a whole lot of players tonite, but I imagine once the word gets out, that'll come up.

Heide