PDA

View Full Version : ambidexterous

01-27-2003, 02:36 PM
Hello I am new to the list, I am ambidextrous but I shoot mainly with my right hand using my left on when I get in awkward situations, does anyone else do this also is this my only option I am trying to broaden my horizons , outside of "The Miz" any other two handed pool players

rick

01-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Lots of top players practice left-handed stroking, although I don't think you'd call that ambidextrous. I'm fair at it but I generally stink at using my left hand for anything else.

I try to practice left-handed just to be able to get myself out of jams without using the crutch, or going behind the back (which I always thought was a bit amateurish but I've noticed that Bustamante does this quite often).

A common method for solo practice is to play a rack against a left-handed imaginary opponent. I don't think my left-handed imaginary opponent has ever "beaten" me, but it does make for good practice!

David

01-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Not sure exactly what your asking. I, like most pool players, occasionaly stroke left handed when the CB is in an awkward spot. To say I am ambidextrious would be stretching it though. Efren seems to be pretty good at it though /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris

01-27-2003, 03:38 PM
I can run a rack with either hand on a bar table. Does that count?

Jimbo

Rod
01-27-2003, 04:28 PM
I practice left handed at times. I'd rather shoot off handed than use a bridge. Actually I have a decent left handed game. It falls far short of right handed though.

Sid_Vicious
01-27-2003, 04:29 PM
I'm no name that you will hear around the billiard industry, still my left handed game(everything elso I do righty)is darn close to my on-hand(IMPO.) Why? I'm not sure. Bottom line is that most people feel awkward to make a bridge or even stand for the off hand stroke, and yet I am seeing many more players making themselves learn to go off hand for hard to reach shots. You won't see many really stroke the ball though...sid

Popcorn
01-27-2003, 04:33 PM
I have never known a player that played very close to their speed with the opposite hand. Some play OK but there to many variables. Body position, feet, head, alignment of the eyes. Most can't even make a very good bridge with the opposite hand.

SpiderMan
01-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Sid's being modest. His off-handed game amazes me. He can break 9-ball as well with his left hand as with his right. I wish I knew how he does it. I can remember him flip-flopping on a weekly basis, trying to decide which to make his "main" hand.

Once at Skillman he was hustled by a local shortstop. Instead of taking the 7 and 8, ol' Sid offered to play even, but with both of them shooting left-handed. After shucking his wallet too many times, Sid commented on what a strong left-handed game the guy had. The reply was "well, I am left-handed".

SpiderMan (telling off)

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I'm no name that you will hear around the billiard industry, still my left handed game(everything elso I do righty)is darn close to my on-hand(IMPO.) Why? I'm not sure. Bottom line is that most people feel awkward to make a bridge or even stand for the off hand stroke, and yet I am seeing many more players making themselves learn to go off hand for hard to reach shots. You won't see many really stroke the ball though...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
01-27-2003, 05:18 PM
I never got him to take an off hand bet after that either,,,he was happy with his new found cash gotten from a dunce asking for a left handed match up, never THINKING that he was a leftie. It pays to observe, huh :-(

It was well worth the humor I've gotten from the story following me around though. You gotta be able to laugh at yourself...sid

bluewolf
01-27-2003, 07:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I have never known a player that played very close to their speed with the opposite hand. Some play OK but there to many variables. Body position, feet, head, alignment of the eyes. Most can't even make a very good bridge with the opposite hand. <hr /></blockquote>

I was born ambidextrous. I grew up using my right hand though and I always played pool with my right, so my left isnt real strong due to a not so good bridge (even though I am left eyed). My left stroke is some better but not nearly as good as my right. When I was a little weaker, it seemed like I was going to be able to switch to the left but as I got better with my right, that gap widened rather than narrowing.

I still think I am some ambidextrous since there are many things i do well with my left but pool isnt one of them. Just hit with left to keep from using the bridge. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bw

snipershot
01-27-2003, 08:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote vxl65703:</font><hr> Hello I am new to the list, I am ambidextrous but I shoot mainly with my right hand using my left on when I get in awkward situations, does anyone else do this also is this my only option I am trying to broaden my horizons , outside of "The Miz" any other two handed pool players

rick
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Rick, I too am ambixterous, I consider myself a left handed player though as the vast majority of my shots are shot with this hand. I have practiced shooting with my right hand enough that I feel confident using it in just about any situation, my suggestion to you would be to simply shoot entire racks with your left, initially it feels very uncomfortable (and tempting just to use your good hand!) I found that when it comes time to use your "other hand" in a game you will feel worry free about shooting with it, it just takes alot of time and patience.

Pracitce makes perfect.
Snipershot

cueball1950
01-27-2003, 09:16 PM
On this board you have 1 of the best opposite hand shooters out there. I have personally seen him run over 70 balls left handed, on me as a matter of fact. His run has to be higher than that i believe. His high run right handed is in the hundreds. he is the best i have ever seen opposite hand. Just my humble opinion. Right Mr #### leonard...lol.......mike

Chris Cass
01-27-2003, 09:20 PM
Hi,

I shoot mostly underhandedly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Voodoo Daddy
01-28-2003, 06:51 AM
The best player I ever saw that was "amphibious" &lt;HAHAHAHAHAHA&gt; is Wade Crane. Plays so good with both hands he could enter a tournament under two names!!! The bridge is a better answer than the switch...you have the feel, stroke and judgement with your stroke hand...switch-hittin takes so serious practice.

#### leonard
01-28-2003, 08:09 AM
Thanks Mike for the compliment, the reason I started playing off hand was my towering height. Joe Canton at 5ft2/3 was always using the bridge in tournaments putting him at a distinct disadvantage. Therefore I reasoned practice shooting just the bridge shots and soon I was shooting almost a good lefthanded as right. I won a tournament game playing safety behind the rack by taking a scratch, just moving the cueball where I could play a shot opposite hand and the player just fouled the cueball and I stepped up and bridged the rack and my opponent screamed I forgot you played opposite.
My good friend/backer Ralph Laurella who ran the action room in Hudson was in amazement the first time he saw me switch from right to left handed and he couldn't tell the difference. He said I have had the greatest players in the world here and this guy is the best I ever saw switch hands. I can't tell if his is right or left hand. Just blowing my horn.####

#### leonard
01-28-2003, 08:11 AM
That is how the Great Luther Lassiter played left handed.####

Fred Agnir
01-28-2003, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote vxl65703:</font><hr> Hello I am new to the list, I am ambidextrous but I shoot mainly with my right hand using my left on when I get in awkward situations, does anyone else do this also is this my only option I am trying to broaden my horizons , outside of "The Miz" any other two handed pool players

rick
<hr /></blockquote>

I think Mike Sigel is a righty that plays left.

To take this down the path of your original question, a friend of mine is ambidextrous. She takes shots either-handed at a whim. When I saw her do this, I told her I thought that an ambidextrous person should choose a side to master as their main hand, and use the ambidexterity as a weapon. And further that splitting time equally between both hands would never allow her to reach full potential. It seems her instructor has been telling her the same thing but she never heard anyone else agree to that sentiment.

That's my opinion. Stick to one side, but keep the other hand as a powerful off-hand weapon. If I were amphibious, I'd choose the left hand as the main side. That old left-brain vs. right-brain idea, plus, lefties just plain look smoother. And it's all about looks.

Fred &lt;~~~ all about looks

Sid_Vicious
01-28-2003, 09:23 AM
"I told her I thought that an ambidextrous person should choose a side to master as their main hand, and use the ambidexterity as a weapon. And further that splitting time equally between both hands would never allow her to reach full potential."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

A mentor of mine said the same thing to me a long time ago, saying that the off hand stroke couldn't be trusted for speed and control. Funny thing is, he now goes off hand himself in situations which he always used the bridge on before, and he's graduated to drawing for position using it, nothing fancy but I took as a compliment that "the teacher" actually took something back from the student...sid~~~has more fun with the added dimension, and guilty of showing off a little sometimes ;-)

#### leonard
01-28-2003, 03:48 PM
Fred the secret to playing opposite hand is to play the shots on each side of the table with the favoring hand. My strong point was I learned my pool position from the best chooser of shots going. So when you play opposite with the stipulation the the shots you can't reach you shoot right hand and then play for a good % of right handed shots.It becomes easy. I would always say left or right handed I am still using the same brain.####

Doomsday Machine
01-28-2003, 05:05 PM
The most awesome display that I have ever witnessed in playing with both hands was about 11 years ago when I watched a young Oliver Ortmann run 100 balls right handed and then run 76 balls left handed in 14.1 !!! I am sure that Oliver is probably the best player using his opposite hand. On the opposite end of the scale I think my high run using my left hand is about 4 balls !!

qSHAFT
01-28-2003, 07:06 PM
I certainly am a Ortmann fan, but I think the greatest ambidexterous shooter is Ronnie O'Sullivan of the snooker world. He is world class with left and right hands and frequently will swap to use as a mental distraction if he isn't feeling quite right or if the situation demands it.

I think a lot more snooker players are more comfortable with their other hands because of the size of the table, but ronnie is the master of it. To compile century breaks with the weaker hand is simply amazing when you consider how technically perfect ones stroke must be just to pot a ball consistantly on the 12 footers.

I think every in the pool scene should be glad he is so content with the payouts for snooker cause everyone would drop a ranking spot if he ever changed over.