PDA

View Full Version : Cue advice, please. Back after 30 years

01-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Hi Folks,

30 years ago I gave up the game after starting a family. I had played with a Palmer cue. I understand they are now out of business. My old cue is long gone. I have started playing again and am looking for a production cue. Right now I am interested in a Viking. They offer 6 different joints which provide a hit of very hard, hard, firm and soft. From what I gather an all wood house cue would be considered a soft hit. When I played I don't remember thinking of various degrees of "hit". I don't know what the Palmer would have been considered. I guess my question is, "Is there much difference in the different degrees of hit from hard to soft?" I like the hit of a house cue ok, so I suppose I should consider soft. I believe no matter what I choose I will quickly become accustomed to it. Wouldn't I? I'll probably stay away from the hard and very hard hitting joint styles(metal to metal) I suppose it boils down to personal preference, but if anyone has advice I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks

01-28-2003, 06:15 PM
sounds to me like you've got your head on pretty straight. if you're just getting back at it then it's going to be a while before you will notice the difference in hits by joint.

probably the more important change since last you cued is the evolution in tips. different tips can make a huge difference in playability and that's where i would start looking. viking seems to be an ok production cue although, if you can, you should try playing with lots of different cues and always ask what kind of tip is on it so you can start finding out what you like.

welcome back

dan

caedos
01-28-2003, 10:42 PM
"Hard" vs "soft" hits is an interesting way of putting it. I like alot of feedback, so I shy away from steel joints and get as much wood to wood as I can. Good vibrations and all that.

Oz

Rod
01-28-2003, 11:56 PM
Well welcome back! Your old Palmer was a Stainless Steel joint. I'd stick with a std SS to implex, would be near the same as your Palmer. Your choice of course. You can alter the hit more by changing the tip. Soft tip, med, hard, etc. You might want to play with a few cues first at least to decide on weight. Viking makes a decent cue. It may hit better than some old Palmers as some of them had a hollow sound. I know I still own one.

Fred Agnir
01-29-2003, 07:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote glreynolds:</font><hr> Hi Folks,

30 years ago I gave up the game after starting a family. I had played with a Palmer cue. I understand they are now out of business. My old cue is long gone. I have started playing again and am looking for a production cue. Right now I am interested in a Viking. <hr /></blockquote>

Of course, you could get today's version of a Palmer.

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/palmer/palmer_america_cues.htm

Fred

Rich R.
01-29-2003, 08:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Of course, you could get today's version of a Palmer.

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/palmer/palmer_america_cues.htm

Fred <hr /></blockquote>
Or you could buy an original Palmer at http://www.billiardcue.com/

However, you will find that they are a little more expensive than you may remember. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mikey
01-30-2003, 04:25 PM
Hey, if you live close enough, go to the Super Billiards Expo in Valley Forge PA. in March. More cues than you can imagine--Hey! Just a thought

SpiderMan
01-30-2003, 04:51 PM
House cues generally play soft because of the tip. Most of them are tipped with Elk Master or Blue Diamond, which are very soft tips. The tip will make more difference in feel of the hit than any other component. The rest of the shaft (taper, and to a lesser extent, ferrule) follows the tip in amount of influence.

Viking makes a nice cue, you should be able to get one that you like.

SpiderMan