PDA

View Full Version : 14th Annual Ocean State 9-Ball Championship...

nAz
01-29-2003, 12:34 AM
held in Providence, RI. Feb. 2-3
Who is playing in this? is it amateurs only?
i hear there is $5000 being added.

PoolFan
01-29-2003, 08:23 AM
It's an Open event, promoted along with the Joss Northeast Tour.

This is one of the most anticipated events of the year in New England. Many of the top pro players attend this event - Immonen, Zuglan, Rempe, Corr, Ginky, Robles and so on.

The entry is $125. And if you are just spectating, there is a lot of action to watch. Snooker's Cafe & Billiards put on a great event.

Mike Webb of Webb Custom Cues will also be at the event and set up. He creates beautiful cues, if you are interested. He also does great cue work. He speicalizes in many different types of wraps and can also customize a Predator shaft to your cue.

I will be there to add to the prize fund and if luck is on my side, maybe I'll take some of it back.

PoolFan - Big Fan of the Ocean State Championships and the Joss Northeast Tour

9 Ball Girl
01-29-2003, 08:40 AM
I may go to that. Sure would be fun to watch.

Ken
01-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Bring eye drops and a gas mask if you have one. It's the smokiest venue the Joss has (very intimate, however). In daylight it appears to be full of abandoned factories. Later on you will wonder what the noise is since it turns into one rave after another with an occassional nightclub (to put it nicely) in between.

Bring as many friends as you can since there will be roaming bands of punks engaged in fights and mock fights. There will be a police car on nearly every corner but don't expect help from them. I think they are afraid to get out of the cars.

Make sure you remember how to get out of there or else you will be stuck on streets that have become one way due to parked cars. Which way depends on who gets there first. If you don't know your way well you will go in circles with the other cars all looking for a place to park.

When trying to find your way out of Providence be careful not to drive into the capital building because that seems to be where all roads lead.

Watch a poolroom turn into a nightclub with nobody interested in pool while the floor below turns into a rave. Go outside and watch the fights. Enjoy.
KenCT

nAz
01-29-2003, 09:07 AM
Man i would go there for the Rave the hell with pool! lol i have not had a laced fruit drink in a long time.

01-29-2003, 09:14 AM
So, Ken...

...could you tell us how you really feel about this venue?

LOL!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9 Ball Girl
01-29-2003, 10:27 AM
Okay, now I'm scared. Not! The company I'll be keeping should be enough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve Lipsky
01-29-2003, 11:19 AM
Ken, I agree with you. Everyone seems to love this poolroom but me (and now you!).

There is a conspicuous lack of seating and little space between the tables. Try going to the bathroom... you'll have to shark almost every player in the joint (there's one thin line between all the tables with a constant flow of traffic).

Add to this that it's probably the most popular stop on the Joss tour, and you get fields of over 100 players. The last time I played there I waited something like 5 hours between my first and second matches, without a seat to be found. I swore I'd never come back, and I haven't.

It's a shame, because the place offers really good equipment and a friendly staff. It's just that, in my opinion, it's not built to accomodate fields and crowds of this size.

I heard the room was renovated relatively recently, though. Does anyone know if these issues have been addressed?

- Steve

nAz
01-29-2003, 11:53 AM
why is it the most popular tour stop? cause of the Money they add?

Steve Lipsky
01-29-2003, 01:22 PM
It's the money, and also that most players really like this room.

As I mentioned before, the place does have great equipment. And since everyone always goes, it's a really tough tournament - and you can't argue with that.

- Steve

Joe T
01-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Hey guys take it easy, this is my home room. Ken no offense but you went way overboard that was a little ridiculous. Steve on the other hand had some good points. The room is tough on spectators on Saturdays but on Sundays Steve sets up the room beautifully by taking down dividers around 4 feature tables and offers everyone a good seat. This year the Addition Steve Lipsky was referring to "The Green Room" will have easy in out access (3 doors) and we'll have a camera covering table #1 (feature matches) playing on one large big screen and 3 smaller TV's in the very comfortable Green Room. As for the walk way Steve's right, it's tough but if you look 2 or 3 tables ahead and show some care you'll be fine. (actually players will still complain but hey they're pool players)
It's a special tournament because the owners Steve and Regina have made it one. They've been adding $3,000 to this event for the last 13 years (long before most other rooms) and have been giving back to pool in numerous other ways. The atmosphere on Sunday is what makes the event special along with Banner the winner gets, the personal touch of the owners, the food(Regina's sauce), equipment (Gold Crown 3's centenial balls) and this year they're stepping up to the plate and adding $5,000 to the event.
So please take it easy. If we had more room owners like this pool would definately take a big step in the right direction.
PS They pay me to run tournaments twice a week that they don't take table time for! We get 32-48 on wed and shut off at 32 on Mondays and they lose money on average people that have to go on a waiting list on those nights.
Steve I hope you can make it this week. I promise no 5 hour wait. We have 16 tables and I expect about 80 players. We're also going to play a little Fantasy 9 Ball that'll make it a little more interesting for the spectators along with the player auction.
Thanks for listening Joe T

nAz
01-29-2003, 04:49 PM
so no Rave?? ;(

damn 5K added is coo, dont know of any place around NYC that will do that /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Joe T
01-30-2003, 01:03 AM
Some players that called and plan on being there or are already here are Raphael Martinez,Sandor Tot,Allen Hopkins, Mike Lebron is bringing Bustamante and Efren! This is looking like one of the best years ever. I hope everyone from NY City is coming, Regina asked about a few of you specifically tonight.
See ya this weekend.
Joe T