PDA

View Full Version : How to install a leather wrap/grip?

01-29-2003, 09:09 AM
Hello,

Im new *here* but not to billiards/pool/etc, or the internet. Im currently doing repair work on cues, and building a few (though I havent built a cue in a couple of years with job changes and such). Anyway, one thing I have never done is install a leather wrap. Ive done everything else, except this one thing. Does anyone have any pointers, or can anyone point me to a website with more info on this type of thing (cue wraps/repairs/etc)

thanks!

Clay
Terre Haute, Indiana

Chris Cass
01-29-2003, 12:22 PM
Hi Clay,

There's a lot involved in putting on a leather wrap. You may even have to cut down the handle under the wrap itself. There's specs to deal with too. Like the thinkness and type of leather. Most cue makers I know don't like messing with them at all. However the best and most honest advice I can give you is to call a cue maker that does this and ask if you can veiw the process. It would be my suggestion to send it out.

Regards,

C.C.

Fred Agnir
01-29-2003, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 87GLHS208:</font><hr> Hello,

Im new *here* but not to billiards/pool/etc, or the internet. Im currently doing repair work on cues, and building a few (though I havent built a cue in a couple of years with job changes and such). Anyway, one thing I have never done is install a leather wrap. Ive done everything else, except this one thing. Does anyone have any pointers, or can anyone point me to a website with more info on this type of thing (cue wraps/repairs/etc)

thanks!

Clay
Terre Haute, Indiana <hr /></blockquote>

One of the Chris Hightower Tapes I believe shows a leather wrap installation. His cuemaking book (more like shop notes) also describes his method.

Of course, you can ask a cuemaker who does this if he'll let you watch. And if all else fail's, you can watch it done at Valley Forge in March!

In a nutshell, it's cut, wrap, overlap, cut all the way through, remove leftover, glue down. Did I miss anything? Other than hope &amp; pray, that is.

Fred

Popcorn
01-29-2003, 01:13 PM
I think that used to be the case but now there are suppliers that supply leather of a consistent thickness about the same as linen. I feel cuemakers gouge you pretty good on leather. It is not hard to do at all and the material is not very expensive. Some charge you hundred or more. Way too much in my opinion nowadays with the availability of pre made materials. Just My opinion

01-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info. Im not really to worried about the process. Ive always had a pretty good idea on how to do it, but never tried. Linen wraps are fairly easy anymore, but the leather is just one thing I would like to try. After all, trying things I havent done before it one reason I got into this whole hobby of fixing/making cues in the first place. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Premade leather wraps are available, just cut to correct length, and the thickness is within 5 thou, so it shouldn't be to bad. Ill give it a stab, and if it doesnt work, I can always go back to a standard linen wrap.

thanks!

Clay

TonyM
01-29-2003, 02:35 PM
It takes practice that's all. Don't expect the first one to be perfect!

The key is to get good quality leather. The stuff that Atlas sells is not what you want.

Contact Jack Justice. I'm sure that he will give you some good pointers (he did for me) and also tell you where to go to get good leather.

After that, it's practice.....

Tony
-so what else is new?......