PDA

View Full Version : Heated Slates

L.S. Dennis
01-29-2003, 11:43 AM
There's been some talk about different clothes and how it affects the speed of the balls but how about heated slates?
I know you see billiard tables with heated slates, but has anyone ever seen these on regular pool tables?

Barbara
01-29-2003, 11:50 AM
Yes, I remember watching a match on tv about 7 or 8 years ago - a men's match - and the pool table had a heated surface. I think the table was a "Kim Steel" table.

Barbara~~~that CB was flying, too!

Fred Agnir
01-29-2003, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> There's been some talk about different clothes and how it affects the speed of the balls but how about heated slates?
I know you see billiard tables with heated slates, but has anyone ever seen these on regular pool tables? <hr /></blockquote>
I haven't seen a commercially heated table, but a friend of mine put radiant heating on his table. Combined with it's new rails and Simonis 860, it was too fast to be fun, IMO.

Fred

L.S. Dennis
01-29-2003, 01:03 PM
Fred,
Please explain what radiant heating is and how your friend put it on the table.
Thanks

Fred Agnir
01-29-2003, 02:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Fred,
Please explain what radiant heating is and how your friend put it on the table.
Thanks <hr /></blockquote>
First a hygrometer reference, now radiant heat. It's all coming back to me now. Radiant heating is the process of heat transfer from a heat producing body in the form of infrared light or electromagnetic radiation. The common examples are a radiator or radiant floor heating, or the sun. It differs from conduction which is the heat transfer associated with two objects in contact with no relative motion, and convection which is the heat transfer associated with a fluid flowing across a heat source. But I digress...

They make an electric radiant heating wire that we in the north would put on the edge of our roof to help melt the snow and ice to prevent ice damming. Ice damming sux because when the ice melts, the water likes to back up into the soffet vents, ride the ceiling joists, and make wonderful water stains on our ceilings. If the ceilings are so lucky to hold up. And still, I digress.

These radiant wires running off of standard 115 VAC, 60hz can be mounted on the under side of the table to heat the slate. I believe online somewhere is a demo of this by Deno Andrews.

Fred &lt;~~~ digressing

Alfie
01-29-2003, 03:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> These radiant wires running off of standard 115 VAC, 60hz can be mounted on the under side of the table to heat the slate. I believe online somewhere is a demo of this by Deno Andrews. <hr /></blockquote> It was Roger Ballenger. This is from the P&amp;B FAQ.

24. ** How can I heat a billiard table?
Roger Ballenger's article on how he installed heating elements on his
antique billiard table can be found at
http://www.ballengermusic.com/billiard_table/billiard.htm
Some have suggested that a home solution like that suggested above may
lead to concerns about fire. In addition, concerns have been raised
that if the slate is not heated uniformly, then the heating element is
really not doing the job properly, and then the table is probably going
to have a different roll in different sections of the table.
Commercial table heating systems have peak powers of over 500 watts,
and are thermostatically controlled, well insulated and solidly
constructed. Be careful.

25. ** How well do I play? Am I an A or a D?
[...]

This is a broken link. I'm trying to find out from Roger what the deal is.

Anyone have a link(s) to any commercial table heating system?

nAz
01-29-2003, 04:54 PM
Hey Fred on what do they use to seal the seams of the slates on that table? cant be bees wax right since that would probably melt.
heated pool table sounds good if you have it in a cool damp place like my Basement lol

Alfie
01-30-2003, 02:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> This is a broken link. I'm trying to find out from Roger what the deal is. <hr /></blockquote> Roger said the page is gone and won't be coming back.

Fred Agnir
01-30-2003, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> Hey Fred on what do they use to seal the seams of the slates on that table? cant be bees wax right since that would probably melt.
heated pool table sounds good if you have it in a cool damp place like my Basement lol <hr /></blockquote>

This is a good question. Billiard tables are heated all the time, but for some reason, I think Deno says that those are machined so well that they don't need filling.

Fred

NBC-BOB
02-13-2003, 01:16 PM
In all the time that I've been playing, I've only seen heated, 3 cushion tables!

02-15-2003, 02:29 AM
Buy a nice new Verhooven &amp; pay l0 grand &amp; yes it comes heated. Most top end billiard tables are going to start at $6500. At 3 cushion, they cant have it too fast, which is why they used simonois 300, which is probably twice as fast as 860. The comment about heating a pool slate &amp; then making it so fast it is unplayable is ridiculous. You will speed up the roll of a ball by about 2 to maybe 3 diamonds.
All heating a slate does is make the game better. Laying your hand on that warm cloth is so nice. I have my 9' gold crown in my studio heated, by the method described, Deno told me how to do it. You must be very careful, this can be a fire hazard &amp; burn your joint down if you dont do it right. That is probably why the pool industry has not offered it, the liability involved. I am a trick shot artist, and our number one problem is humidity, it slows down the cloth, balls get sticky, they cling together, they cut funny, you miss shots because of the mosisture you cant see. I like to keep my humidity at 50 and my room temperature at 72. The heated slate takes away the humidity in the cloth, the game plays fast &amp; pure. It's just great. The guys on the set setting up my 2 tables for the premier of the Ripley's Believe it or not show did not follow my instructions on how to heat the 2 show tables, they bought the wrong stuff at the hardware store, then spliced some cables together, one of the tables caught fire, if we had not been there when it happened, they would have burned down the set, so be very very careful with this please. Fast Larry www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com)