PDA

View Full Version : King of the Hill

Jack Jr
01-29-2003, 03:03 PM
I would like to know who remembers the King of the Hill Straight Pool Tournaments of the 1970's. My dad Jack Colavita held the record of 12 straight week victories over he New Jersey/New York Pros (Mizerak, Martin, Margo etc). The tournaments were 150 point straight pool matches held every Monday night. Rooms like McGuires, 4 Seasons, Clifton Billiards, Hi Cue, Golden Cue etc.

Let me know if anyone has some memories to share.

Jack Colavita Jr.

Popcorn
01-30-2003, 12:17 AM
I do remember that. I by the way, I have some candid pictures from the US open in Chicago in the early 70's. Some with your dad in them. I am trying to find all my old photos. I used to like to take pictures. I let Victor use a few of my pictures for the Billiard Encyclopedia. That was a while ago and I can't find the box. When I do I will post some of them on here. I have pictures of most of the players back then. Not posed, just caught being themselves.

Jack Jr
01-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Let me know when you have the pictures, I would love to see them. I attended the US Open with my dad in Chicago from 1971-1975. I was a kid then, but that Tournament had to be the best run Straight Pool event ever. The Sheraton Chicago was a great facility for the tournament.

Jack Jr.

Popcorn
01-30-2003, 06:11 PM
I used to go every year. I only played once though, you had to win a qualifier to play. Guys that played at the HI Cue and a few places like that, had an advantage. They would have four or five qualifiers. We are doing some remolding on the house and I am sure they will turn up.