PDA

View Full Version : The new "quiet law" in NY!

CarolNYC
01-30-2003, 03:45 AM
Yeah,right,like I might put stock pipes on a bike-the way these peole drive, they always say "I didnt see you!" Well, then you damn well HEARD me! Saw a whole special on this last night and the motorcyclists are going CRAZY!
Carol~thinks its ridiculous!

Karatemom
01-30-2003, 07:15 AM
Hiya Carol! We've got a stupid law here as well. In the summer, when the kids are off of school, if you're caught driving down the main drag more than 3 times within 15 minutes, you get a ticket. Now mind you, the grocery store, gas stations, fast food places are all on this main drag. Give me a break!!!

Heide

9 Ball Girl
01-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Um. Stupid Question: Is someone out there keeping track of which cars go by? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

nAz
01-30-2003, 10:05 AM
Carol read about that yesterday, i think it suxs i always like the way a Vtwin sounds when it opens up, but then i think back to the nights i sleep with the window open and its 2am a tag team of rice grinders goes by my home revved up to the red line setting off car alarms and waking me up. maybe that law is a good idea,too bad it wont get enforced.

Sid_Vicious
01-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Ya know I should follow the old rule about not saying anything unless it is something positive, still I've got to say that there almost has to be a limit sometime to the thundering noise from these V-Twins. I ride a Honda, and if I ever get mixed into a Harley squad and am not in front(yea right, a Honda will be in front!) I can't enjoy a darn thing about the country ride I've elected to take. There's getting to be so many of these straight piped motorcycle groups these days that the average citizen is getting exposed to these noise bombs more and more. I think there are semi-mods beyond straight pipes pipes to keep the nostalgia and yet reduce the explosiveness to open public. It simply has to have a limit, in my opinion. It's kinda like head banging music in the PH...the bangers don't complain, but you and I would in a heartbeat. It's all polution, at least to someone...sid

Gayle in MD
01-30-2003, 10:54 AM
Sid, I can certainly relate to what you are saying. I am one of those poor folks, sensative to noise, and my daughter and grand-daughter, and even my son-in-law are also. When those loud bikes go by, my grand-baby actually cries and trembles. It can really get tough for folks like us. In my marina, when those loud cigarette boats come by, I have to run in the cabin. I can't understand how it could be pleasurable to anyone to ride on one of those things. And then when you are sitting at a stop light, and those boom boxes are next to you, I am almost in tears by the time the light changes, LOL. I just don't get it I guess...
Gayle in Md, to each his own, but have lost many many friends due to motorcycle wrecks....they are very unforgiving. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SPetty
01-30-2003, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> ...a tag team of rice grinders goes by ...<hr /></blockquote>Okay, since we're asking stupid questions... What's a "rice grinder"?

nAz
01-30-2003, 12:01 PM
slang but appropriate name for a Blaaa Japanese motor cycles /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Karatemom
01-30-2003, 01:20 PM
I don't know how they do it. They're trying to keep the kids off the street. Every night, mainly weekends, they park their cars in a lot on the avenue and just sit around and gab. Well, then they've got to get in and show it off. The police were getting tired of the neighbors calling in about the noise and loitering, so they started enforcing this rule. Stupid if you ask me. What if I've got to go to Walgreens, then the grocery store, then the gas station. Something tells me, though, that they'll believe that a 33 yr old woman was not "hanging" with the rest of the teeny-boppers, hahahahaha.

Heide

TomBrooklyn
01-30-2003, 03:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> if you're caught driving down the main drag more than 3 times within 15 minutes, you get a ticket.<hr /></blockquote>Is that three times in the same direction or either way? If you go down the street and return, does that count for once or twice? Lol.

Karatemom
01-30-2003, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Is that three times in the same direction or either way? If you go down the street and return, does that count for once or twice? Lol. <hr /></blockquote>

That would be either way. If it were the same direction, it would end up being 6 times, which they are supposed to have busted you by then, hahahahaha.

Heide ~ told you it was a stupid law, hahahahahahaha

bluewolf
01-30-2003, 11:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ya know I should follow the old rule about not saying anything unless it is something positive, still I've got to say that there almost has to be a limit sometime to the thundering noise from these V-Twins. I ride a Honda, and if I ever get mixed into a Harley squad and am not in front(yea right, a Honda will be in front!) I can't enjoy a darn thing about the country ride I've elected to take. There's getting to be so many of these straight piped motorcycle groups these days that the average citizen is getting exposed to these noise bombs more and more. I think there are semi-mods beyond straight pipes pipes to keep the nostalgia and yet reduce the explosiveness to open public. It simply has to have a limit, in my opinion. It's kinda like head banging music in the PH...the bangers don't complain, but you and I would in a heartbeat. It's all polution, at least to someone...sid <hr /></blockquote>

I am sure not every one is in my camp but I like the harley sound much better than the sound of a 'crotch rocket'. My dog barks so loud when he hears the rocket type bike but doesnt mind the sound of the harley.

bw

CarolNYC
01-31-2003, 03:55 AM
Oh my goodness,
You wouldnt believe whats going on here-I think parking tickets are now 350.00? If you owe 200.00 or more,sheriff tows car-then you pay over 500.00 just to get it back due to fees and storage!And then the ez-pass people=some guy owes like 50,000.00-whats wrong with this picture-theres cameras at every toll booth and they cant track him down-give me a break!But as soon as you go through a redlight,boy that ticket comes in the mail-unbelievable!I cant believe your law-I must send you a NYPD sticker,ha ha ha,I'll try!:)See you soon lady!
Carol:)

CarolNYC
01-31-2003, 04:08 AM
Hey Sid,
Hondas are nice bikes-especially the Goldwings-great for touring-Im sorry if you've gotten mixed up with a group of "Power pushers" who think they own the road just cause they ride a Harley-we call these people pretty boys-they only ride on Sundays!ha ha ha-But I definitely can relate to peacefulness and respect for others in mornings when you have a loud bike-when I first got my sportster,stock pipes,driving down the road,lady pulls RIGHT OUT and cuts me off-she was looking right at me-SO-voila-straight pipes went on and when I came to intersections, I would purposely rev it so that NOW they could hear me-but,believe me when I say my area is very quiet(you could hear birds singing),so,in mornings,when I pulled choke out and started it,I wouldnt let it idle too long and just EASILY go down the road-unless,ha ha ha,there was a neighbor I didnt like,ha ha ha-then i'd set off his car alarm!ha ha ha(just kidding)Actually, there were times I pushed my bike down the block aways and then started it!:)
Hope you have safe travels in the future with those pretty boys!

CarolNYC
01-31-2003, 04:16 AM
Hey Naz,
Those "speed demons" definitely are a nuisance and are usually young,inexperienced and in it for the thrill of speed-most often their the ones you read about in the papers-very sad-I dislike the in and out nonsense and wheeley showoffs myself-the only time I ever whitelined was when it was necessary and even then, I was extremely careful-people are crazy!The fastest I ever went on a bike is 103-never again-I couldnt breath-I'll take a stock,cruising Harley anyday-just like to cruise in the warm sun-these things are good-"Money in my pocket,a ride on a Harley and the sun shining on my face!"

CarolNYC
01-31-2003, 04:19 AM
Ha Ha HAhA,
Wendy,yeah a new "quiet task force"and they wanna lay off 3500 police-give me a break!
Carol~LMAO

CarolNYC
01-31-2003, 04:23 AM
Not silly at all SPetty,
Yamahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif:):)
Carol~Non American made motorcycles!

CarolNYC
01-31-2003, 04:25 AM
H aHa Ha hA
Maybe you just use 3 different cars!

CarolNYC
01-31-2003, 04:34 AM
Hey Gayle,
I would rather pull up next to a Harley then next to a car with 1000 watt speakers blasting rap music!OUCH!ha ha ha
Carol

heater451
01-31-2003, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> . . .The police were getting tired of the neighbors calling in about the noise and loitering, so they started enforcing this rule<hr /></blockquote>Why make a new law, when there are two that already apply?

Why not more strictly enforce the "disturbing the peace" and "no loitering" laws? Exponential penalties might help as well. . . .

Also, I would think the "quiet law" in Carol's part of the thread would fall under "disturbing. . ." as well. Plus, there are (DOT) laws against modification of motorcycle exhaust for more noise. Stock pipes are usually stamped with the db limit on them, and are even supposed to be replaced, if they don't reduce noise to specs.

And, before I sound like a rules freak, I'd like to mention that I had built a reverse-meg for my own bike some years back, and it wasn't much more than straight pipe either. However, I never rolled into the neighborhood late at night, spinning the crank at 6-grand. Nor have I ever ridden with 800 other "rebels" running slash-cuts. (The modern Harley non-conformist probably has stock pipes--or is now riding a BMW! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

=================

CarolNYC
01-31-2003, 05:45 PM
Hey Heater,
Your absolutely corrct about the specs for pipes-I was stopped at one time and ,quite a while ago,but explained of my fear that people just dont care even if they see you,so I wanted them to HEAR me! Also, I dont know if you've heard of the Vietnam Veterans War Memorial run that is held yearly,from Liberty State Park in Jersey to ,I believe Battery park,not sure?-well, that was my first run and I was not with my husband,let me tell you, you want to hear about the experience of driving in Manhatten on a bike? A nightmare!You HAVE to drive like a maniac!Unbelievable-but going through the tunnel was the greatest feel and sound!:)And,Ive never ridden with rebels(people who cause fights and resist authority),but I have ridden with brotherhoods!:)
Take care!

CarolNYC
01-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Hey Heide,
Thats kinda sad that there is not more activities for the teenagers to get involved in-here they have PAL-or night leagues at the schools-there are your local teeny-bopper kid gangs,but the gang units here are right on them in a heartbeat-so there is no loitering-one very strict enforcement unit that is here is the "graffitti" unit-when a person writes their so-called 'TAG-NAME"-pictures are taken each time,so if that person actually gets caught, he doesnt get charged with just the time he was caught, he gets charged with EACH and EVERY time his name was written-how strong is that?

02-01-2003, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Yeah,right,like I might put stock pipes on a bike-the way these peole drive, they always say "I didnt see you!" Well, then you damn well HEARD me! Saw a whole special on this last night and the motorcyclists are going CRAZY!
Carol~thinks its ridiculous! <hr /></blockquote>

carol, do you know any more details on that law? i wouldn't be suprised to see the locals here looking to copy it.

i'm running custom pipes on my new bike. there are baffles there but they don't really make it quieter than straight pipes as much as they tune the sound and beat the cops night-stick test (if the stick goes in, you're busted.) the bike is, i'll admit, a yamaharley warrior. little bigger engine, little longer frame than a harley but essentially the same type bike. i've learned that you can pretty much run it quiet or loud but the sound can, indeed, especially on the freeway, be a safety device. crack it a little and everybody for sure knows where you are.

dan

CarolNYC
02-02-2003, 05:59 AM
Hey Dan,
I just caught the newsflash briefly the other evening-I havent read anything further in the papers regarding it,but it is definitely being enforced-I actually saw a sign in Manhatten at a light that said"No honking or you will be fined!"-but I could understand that, due to its location like hospitals,apartment complexes,or what have you,but I'll keep an eye out for you!
Carol~wondering who the "honking "police are!:) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooklyn
02-02-2003, 11:48 AM
I like quiet pipes on my bike. It lets me hear what is going on around me better, to blend cooperatively with the enviroment, not disturb it. Loud pipes disturb my peace of mind and concentration, even if they are coming from my own motorcycle.