PDA

View Full Version : Who proofreads this stuff?

Wally_in_Cincy
01-30-2003, 07:53 AM
I am constantly irritated by the mistakes which are prevalent in instructional books and in the pool magazine instructional columns. It seems every month I find at least one instance where the table layout shown does not match the written words. But this latest one takes the prize.

Pool and Billiard Feb. 2003. Page 32 by Jerry Forsyth. He solicits kicking advice from Earl, CW, Ewa, and Sarah Ellerby. In the first paragraph he states "...look at the diagram first and determine what you would do...." Just one problem, there's no diagram. So the column is totally wasted. Congratulations P & B. Sheesh....

I will say one thing. I can't remember seeing any errors in Phil Cappelle's columns. Maybe he demands higher standards from the staff at P & B.

Wally in the Natti~~finished venting...for now

Steve Lipsky
01-30-2003, 08:14 AM
P&B is a horror-show of mistakes. I let my subscription run out because I couldn't stand being asked to pay for work of that quality.

Billiards Digest is usually pretty bad too when it comes to that stuff.

There are three notable exceptions:

1) Any column by George Fels
2) Any column by Phil Capelle
3) Most of Inside Pool

- Steve

Nostroke
01-30-2003, 08:14 AM
Evidently no one proofs them. I stopped reading those columns because there were always mistakes/omissions/mislabels making them ueless.

P & B once spelled Danny Basavich's name 3 different ways in the same article! Pool books too! Grady's was about the worst. 'Priviledge' over and over

9 Ball Girl
01-30-2003, 08:22 AM
Whew! I thought I was the only one that felt that way! I've also decided that this will be my last subscription of P&B.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-30-2003, 08:45 AM
Another classic was a column called "Everything you always wanted to know about English" by Paul Potier (I think) about a year ago.

The writer contradicted himself at one point. The next paragraph was editor's notes which were accidentally inserted in the column "..he's contradicting himself here. Should we leave this in?....."

For Pete's sake. I would have failed high school composition with such sloppy work.

snipershot
01-30-2003, 02:35 PM
It's pretty stupid for them to do something like that, It makes you wonder how bad they really want your business, magazines like this only put in a fraction of the information they want to and then they go and waste an entire article like that. It's not hard to see why so many people are not renewing their subscription to this magazine.

Tom_In_Cincy
01-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Wally,

Phil Cappelle's two recent books about 9 ball and 14.1 are full of errors.. very bad editing.

If you don't believe me.. ask John G. of the CSPL about the lists (yes plural, there were that many) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif he sent to Mr. Capelle.

Editing is a lost art in this new generation of journalists. All the media types needs need to go back and take 5th grade english and re-learn how to build sentences.
There is a structure to this madness......

I hate it when a pro-writer ends a sentence with a preposition, too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

landshark1002000
01-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Hi Tom,
It's amazing how, in the age of spell-check, there can be such poorly spelled and editted publications. Websites are no different it seems. Phil Capelle's website has a great story about Grady Mathews. As narrative it's exciting to read. But the typos!!!!
I don't mind misspelling in chats or emails, but the pros who write and publish books and magazines have no excuse for sloppiness. And according to the posts here, it DOES matter. Why it continues mystifies me. --Ted

Tom_In_Cincy
01-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Ted,
How correct you are.
The grammer and spelling police run rampent in other forums.. but here its ok.. to a certain degree.

I do agree with Wally's post and am amazed at what people that are getting paid to write, publish these days. Most wouldn't get better than a "D+" if graded by a 5th grade english teacher..

Anyway.. its always a challenge to figure out what the point is going to be, and how they make their arguments.

I do enjoy a good challenge.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-31-2003, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Wally,

Phil Cappelle's two recent books about 9 ball and 14.1 are full of errors.. very bad editing.

If you don't believe me.. ask John G. of the CSPL about the lists (yes plural, there were that many) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif he sent to Mr. Capelle.

<font color="blue">Yes I was aware of that. I asked John how he got his name in the acknowledgements of the second printing and he explained his work as an unpaid proofreader for Mr. Cappelle /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I was referring specifically to his columns in P &amp; B which are generally accurate.</font color>

Editing is a lost art in this new generation of journalists. All the media types needs need to go back and take 5th grade english and re-learn how to build sentences.
There is a structure to this madness......

I hate it when a pro-writer ends a sentence with a preposition, too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<font color="blue">Yeah me too. Talk to you later but I don't know where I'll be at. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>