PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a KILLER break in 9-ball?

SteveFromNY
01-30-2003, 01:19 PM
If so, please share any possible insight on how to acquire one. I've been practicing my breaks for awhile and only sometimes can I make about 3-4 balls in on the break with the CB near the middle of the table. The other times I usually miscue.

ObeOne
01-30-2003, 01:43 PM
I use a rail bridge and place the cueball about 4 inches behind the headstring. Make sure you follow through and stay down until after the cueball hits the rack. Usually miscues on the break are caused by moving your body up too fast.

snipershot
01-30-2003, 02:17 PM
I place the CB midway between the middle of the table and the left hand rail, a couple of inches back from the headstring and then give it all I got every single time producing fairly consistent results.

Deeman
01-30-2003, 02:46 PM
I place the ball a couple of inches off the side rail right behind the head string. I then put all my concentration into hitting the cue ball a little below center and catching the one ball almost square with the cue ball. They explode, women and children run and havock is in effect. If I could just get the balls to drop.....

01-30-2003, 03:18 PM
I prefer to have the cue ball near the right rail on the head string. I try to keep my cue as level as possible while still hitting in the center. The CB is on the headstring. Focus on hitting the 1 ball squarely, put your body into it and let a rip. Unlike a lot of people, I don't like coming up right after contact.

ObeOne
01-30-2003, 04:48 PM
If I play on a 9 footer I also put the cueball about 2-3 inches from the rail on the head string.

bigbro6060
01-30-2003, 05:29 PM
I;ve been examining the breaks of many top Pros in both 9ball and uk 8ball.

There are many different effective ways of generating power for the break. From dynamic use of the legs to extreme follow throughs to wrist snaps

Read these articles in the archives, i found them useful

I wonder if Mike is still around

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccbboard&Number=3550&page= &view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

AND

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccbboard&Number=4183&page= &view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Mike H
01-30-2003, 07:47 PM
I like to break from a foot away from the head spot (either side). I hit the 1 ball full, using center ball. Bridge arm loose, grip hand loose, hit the CB about 80% of your top speed, and remember to overexaggerate the follow-through. Your tip should (at least) nearly reach the center of the table.

bigbro6060
01-30-2003, 07:54 PM
the Grip - for normal potting i use a three finger grip (thumb and first 2 fingers). For the break i grip using just the thumb and forefinger. It frees up my wrist for a wikid wrist snap which for me adds so much whizz to my break

SteveFromNY
01-30-2003, 09:11 PM
does anybody have any video of pros or anybody breaking?

I CAN have pretty explosive breaks but I miscue MUCH more than I'd like. It's kinda like all or nothing on my breaks. I've had breaks where like only the first 3 balls move and the rest stays, but I can also drop 3-4 balls and have an open run. I usually spot the CB about 3-4 inches from the right of the middle of the headstring with a closed bridge. And I recently learned that an exaggerated follow through really helps deliver the impact. I'd say consistency is my biggest enemy. If im hot, I can literally have 2 or 3 break and runs, but once Im cold, I just can't snap out of it.

Rod
01-30-2003, 09:24 PM
Steve,
I don't have a killer break as in ball speed. What I do have is an effective break. I break about 80+% of my potential power following through to the joint. The reason being is accuracy. Accuracy comes from a fluid motion through the ball, not a jerk or jab. LOL While hard breaks may look impressive most can not control them. Some players insist that a hard break with a lot of body motion is the way to go. Unless they play every day and practice that break (like the pro's) few will be consistant. Even the pro's loose the c/b some more than they should. It sounds like being consistant is a problem for you possibly because of trying to hit them to hard.
If you think about it trying to hit at 100+ percent doesn't make any sense especially if you give up control.
As a parallel pro golfers for the most part don't swing that hard. Golf instructors say not to swing as hard as you can. They say hold some back and retain your balance. I don't think pool is any different, swing to hard and something goes wrong. Usually what goes wrong, outside of balance, is increased grip pressure. This usually is far more than you started with at address. Now just that alone can effect balance not to mention unwanted arm and hand movement. The cue no longer follows a straight line and is steered some direction, twing, a miscue. Either that or the head ball is hit so far off center it is a glancing blow.

In the long run, win/loss percentages will show the effect of a good or poor break if you kept track. It's not how many balls or how hard, it's the quality of the hit. Which would you rather have, 4 out of ten random good hard breaks or 7 with a little less speed? Speaking of speed you may find out your giving up little or possibly gain speed in some cases through better timing.

I think anyone who struggles with the break owes themself a fair chance by at least trying slow down. It isn't easy to just change, ones instincts tells them to crush the balls. A person needs to stay one step in front of their instincts in this case sometimes. After a fair chance, at least a month, if they don't like it go back to slamming the balls. LOL The worst that can happen, you only make a ball or two or none sometimes. But then that happens with hard breaks to. The good is a you should improve your timing not to mention accuracy which ever way you choose. It needs a fair chance though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

BTW if I really have control problems I may use a stun type of stroke for the break. We all may have those days once in a while.

SteveFromNY
01-31-2003, 06:32 AM
thanks rod good info-I'll devote more practice time on my breaks for consistency. I've watched that part where tom cruise breaks (on the snap vincent) to try to mimic that. I whisper in my head "on the snap" before every break now. I'm nuts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jay M
01-31-2003, 09:48 AM
The break shot in the color of money is a poor choice to use as a model. I know that because that was the break I used for a LONG time. You're best bet is to learn the rail break if you're serious about the game. If I had to start over knowing what I know now, I'd train myself to break like so:

First I'd start with that center break. Not the color of money version where you are trying to make the cue jump five feet in the air, but a normal center break. Just a bit off the spot, medium speed and just a little above center english.

Next I'd start raising the speed of the break until I was getting a nice spread. While I was doing this, I'd be finding the correct speed and tip placement to stop the cue in the center of the table. I'd continue to do this until I started to lose control of the cue ball and then back off just a little to where I was hitting it as hard as I could while maintaining control.

Next I would break that same break over and over to get it ingrained in my muscle memory.

Then I'd move the cue ball out to the rail and find my aiming point. To explain this, you have to understand that it doesn't matter *how* you hit the cue ball as long as you do it the same way every time. If you don't change your stroke, the cue ball will always miss the aiming point in the same direction and degree. So what you do to find your aiming point is you find places on the rack to aim at, break and observe which way the cue ball goes after it contacts the one. If it goes to the right, you need to aim more left. If it goes to the left, you need to aim more to the right. When you are consistently leaving the cue ball in the center of the table, then you've got the correct aiming point. For me, it's a half ball hit on the 9. Sounds weird, but it works. Note that this all falls apart if you haven't spent the time to get a consistent break stroke to begin with.

Finally, you practice it over and over and over. A great break doesn't come in one or two sessions, it comes with a LOT of time invested in practice.

Now that you have a good side break, move the cue around on the headstring and break from different locations.

Different tables make breaks work differently. On one table you may break from the center and make two or three balls, but when you go to another location, you'll find that the same exact break never makes a ball. You'll find that one player racking for you will end up with you making balls and another you won't. The rule of thumb is that if you break once (with a good break) and nothing goes in, the next time you break, you break from somewhere else.

Hope this Helps

Jay M

Rod
01-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Hi Jay,
Good to see a post from you again. I'm glad you typed all of that out. It does take a lot of time to break well. Like you said easing your way into more speed has it's benefits. It is much easier to see or feel a problem at lower speeds. If it can't be done well at slower speeds then it's really a crap shoot with a hard stroke.

Jay M
01-31-2003, 03:48 PM
Hi Rod,

I've been lurking every now and then, but had some things happen over the last 6 months that have me scrambling to recover. Haven't even been to any tournaments lately /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Well, except a Kennedy event that was right here.

The break is probably my second best shot behind safety play. I'll tell anyone that cares, if you can't get consistent results and CB control with a normal shot, you need to forget about hard breaks and stick to the soft ones until you have them down.

Jay

Icon of Sin
02-02-2003, 10:07 AM
When I am playing on a 9 ft table I break from the right rail using a rail bridge.

When Playing on a 8 ft or Bar Box I break from the head rail using a rail bridge. Usually my ball Position is about a half inch right of center and between the Dot and the head rail. I normally get a great spread and can keep the cue ball around center table since I hit slightly low on it. Most of the time I drop 1 or 2 balls but I have had occasions where dropped 4. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SteveFromNY
02-03-2003, 08:00 AM
ur right jay, its becoming obvious that I don't practice my breaks nearly enough to acheive consistency. I think I'll devote my next hour or so of pool time on my breaks, just to get the fluid follow through. I wanna leave work now to pratice actually. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

02-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Steve, I struggled with my break in the past, but now have developed a strong one. I'll share what I learned:
1)Control your backswing (level, straight, smooth)
2)Follow through (I follow through all the way to the side pockets)
3)Keep your eyes focused while swinging the cue forward(1 ball or cue ball, whichever works. The object is to keep your head still).
4)Don't raise up much on the follow through. Staying relatively low keeps your cue behind the cue ball for more power and control.
5)Don't try to hit too hard!! A smooth backswing, an accurate hit on the cue ball, and a strong follow through will give you all the power you'll ever need.
I know many of the pros throw their bodies at the break, but they play for hours daily, not to mention they have unbelievable talent. Find an Accu-stat tape of Mizerak playing 9 ball. He can hit extremely hard with almost no body movement. You will also, but it will require many hours of practice.

fast_eddie_B
02-03-2003, 10:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> the Grip - for normal potting i use a three finger grip (thumb and first 2 fingers). For the break i grip using just the thumb and forefinger. It frees up my wrist for a wikid wrist snap which for me adds so much whizz to my break <hr /></blockquote>
That is the textbook grip, but, me personally, I prefer to use the two inside fingers and thumb to grip. I was taught this at a young age, and the reasoning I was told for this is that those inside fingers supposedly keep your wrist straighter when you stroke.
fast_eddie_B

preacherman
02-03-2003, 10:21 PM
Jay,
This is almost exactly what I have been doing in improving my break. Not quite perfect yet, but greatly improved.
I hope others read your advice and give it a try.

Thanks,
Jim
www.geocities.com/pool4christ/cppa (http://www.geocities.com/pool4christ/cppa)

ceebee
03-04-2003, 01:04 PM
I used to have a problem with the OPEN BREAK SHOT (as opposed to the Safety Break Shot), so I decided to design something to practice with. It's called a BreakRAK... I promise you people that the BreakRAK will assist you in learning Cue Ball Control with a great Break Shot... period!

It's a well know fact on the CCB, that folks have used the BreakRAK with success... but you have to try one out before you know what it will do for you. The BreakRAK costs about the same amount as a cheap cue, but you will have it to use for years to come.

REPETITION is the only way to learn Muscle Memory &amp; the BreakRAK gives you that capability.

The first BreakRAK was introduced 5-15-02... today it is being used in 35 States &amp; 11 Countries. I have 5 World Champions, every Major Pool School in the USA, 20 BCA Instructors &amp; over 200 satisfied customers using one. It works! Go to www.breakrak.com (http://www.breakrak.com) &amp; see the Video. If you cannot afford one, ask your Pool Room owner to get one for a rental.

03-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Do I have a killer break at 9 ball, in l96l I broke &amp; made 8 balls on the snap, the only ball that did not fall was the 9. This record has never been tied, and has stood now for 42 yrs untouched. No brag, just fact....I have not read all of the posts, but scanning through them fast I saw several saying they miscue, I never miscue, never....
Try hitting center ball, once you are lined up &amp; stroking, and in a groove, now focus your eyes on the cue ball, and when you hit the CB, your eyes are still on it. I know that is the opposite of what you have been taught, but just try it. To be honest, once I have my sroke grooved, I can make my last 3 strokes &amp; make the break with my eyes closed, the eyes just line up, from there, you trust your stroke. Never break with 100% of your power, or you will miscue a lot, and be flying whitey all over the joint. Always keep 20% of your power in reserve in your pocket un used. Dont break any harder than what you can maintain total 100% control. I hope this helps. By the way, I also hold the break record at 8 ball again in l96l, 8 balls on the break.
I have made &amp; captured on tape, 7 balls on the snap, just a couple of years ago. Making a lot of balls on the break is not smart, half the time they will roll funny on you, what you want is a break that makes a ball, seperates the other balls, and gives you a shot. This can be done with 60 to 70% power, the secret is not how hard you hit them, but how pure &amp; perfect you hit them. Best Wishes, Fast Larry Guninger www.fastlarrypool.com (http://www.fastlarrypool.com) Shoot straight, innovate, no fear &amp; never give up, VENI, VIDI, VICI.....

DEADSTOKE32
03-04-2003, 09:37 PM
I feel the best break that works for me is cut breakin .It's hard at first but once you get it you'll make the wing ball all the time..But it has 2 to be hit on right of the head ball.Just place the q b 2inches from the center of the table(behind the head string ).And start off slow and get faster.till you hit that spot evertime..
Need more help drop me a note ,and i'll tell what tape to watch 2 get it.. ok good luck.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifBYE

03-04-2003, 11:25 PM
Sorry.No Killer Break here.Just a consistent Break.I am fortunate to get to break when I play.When I do get to break, I make a ball or two with my cue ball coming to rest between the two middle pockets.I will only offer that you must try and develop the best position along the headstring which affords you to contact the 1 directly with no spin on the cueball.There are 9 balls that will careen across the surface of the table until hopefully,at least one will fall into a pocket and you have a shot on the first ball.

c /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifajunfats

bigbro6060
03-04-2003, 11:59 PM
I feel it's important to have several breaks in your arsenal. Just a like a tennis players has the 'hard flat smoker', the 'slider' (slice) and the 'kicker' (topspin), a pool breaker can have a 'soft break', a '70-80% reliable as old boots break' and a 'twat em, let's us pray kaboom' break

Let's face it, i think us pool players have it easy when it comes to number of techniques to learn. We just have your normal stroke and your break ! Tennis players have the backhand (often both topspin and slice), forehand, serve, volleys etc

Other sports also have more techniques to learn

03-05-2003, 12:22 AM
BigBro,yeah,I guess tennis players have it tougher than we do.However,for pool,as a player develops they will learn to adjust their power and speed according to the table's playing condition.This does increase their "arsenal",of knowledge.I discourage the use of topspin,due to the inability to control the cue as it goes through the rack area as balls are flying all over.Bad things happen without control.
In the end,with a good solid break,you should be in a position to win against your opponent.That is all we may hope for.

c /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gifajunfats