PDA

View Full Version : 8 ball ruling

Miami Gringo
01-30-2003, 09:22 PM
Playing 8 ball tonight my opponent hit a straight in shot, hard. The object ball went into the corner pocket and the cue ball started to follow in. The object ball jumped back out of the pocket and hit the cue ball. The cue ball was stopped and the object ball went back down.

Nobody at the pool hall had ever seen this and didn't know what the ruling should be. The consensus was that it was probably a foul, but I gave it to him anyways just because it was so cool to see. He was so excited he missed the next shot anyways.

Any thoughts?

Keith

01-30-2003, 09:49 PM
Since the CB did not actually fall in the pocket, and was not subjected to any foreign interference other than the natural motion of the object ball coming out of the pocket, then I would argue that it was not a foul.

David

qSHAFT
01-30-2003, 09:52 PM
Perfectly legal shot - no foul, just lucky. If a ball hit anything not part of the table it would have been a different issue.

Rod
01-30-2003, 10:03 PM
It's not a foul. It's ok if a ball pops out of the pocket, it just doesn't count as a pocketed ball. In this case since the c/b went forward and knocked it in on the second hit it does count. No foul just one of those strange shots.

Paul_Mon
01-31-2003, 05:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> Since the CB did not actually fall in the pocket, and was not subjected to any foreign interference other than the natural motion of the object ball coming out of the pocket, then I would argue that it was not a foul.

David <hr /></blockquote>

Even if the CB had fallen in the pocket and then returned to the table bed, without any interference, it would not be a foul. Very strange shot.

I once witnessed a 9 ball break on a GCII with ball returns, not drop pockets. The cue ball came off the one ball in the air and went directly into the right corner pocket. It stayed there about 1/2 a second and then popped out onto the table like someone tossed it out. Must have been ghosts.

Paul Mon

ChrisW
01-31-2003, 08:17 AM
The only way this could be a bad shot is if you are playing "call shot". Then it would be a double kiss, but either way it is not a foul.