PDA

View Full Version : APA site for sl

bluewolf
01-31-2003, 12:01 AM
Not too long ago, someone posted a site for how the apa calculates sl. It also said on it what was the expected number of innings for each sl. I was kind of curious so that I can tell if my innings are good. Not that it means moving up, but I thought it might be an indicator of progress if the innings are getting less. So I would like to have the info from that site.

For instance, of the last four matches I won, I think that the innings in one were pretty high because I did not play well. Two of the matches had low innings I think for a two but would like to know the expected amount so that i will know how well I am doing in getting my innings down, ie winning more quickly.

bw

Wally_in_Cincy
01-31-2003, 07:32 AM
Why don't you quit obsessing about this and just play?

Your s/l is gonna be what your s/l is gonna be.

Wally~~just trying to help, seriously

Fred Agnir
01-31-2003, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Not too long ago, someone posted a site for how the apa calculates sl. It also said on it what was the expected number of innings for each sl. I was kind of curious so that I can tell if my innings are good. Not that it means moving up, but I thought it might be an indicator of progress if the innings are getting less. So I would like to have the info from that site.

For instance, of the last four matches I won, I think that the innings in one were pretty high because I did not play well. Two of the matches had low innings I think for a two but would like to know the expected amount so that i will know how well I am doing in getting my innings down, ie winning more quickly.

bw <hr /></blockquote>
Stop worrying about it Laura. Just play.

Fred

bluewolf
01-31-2003, 08:12 AM
Well i kind of figured I would get this response. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just was hoping some nice person would send the link. I just wanted to look at this season since I am starting to do better on innings, not looking at my early games when i had a crappy break and very high innins.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bw

Fred Agnir
01-31-2003, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Well i kind of figured I would get this response. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just was hoping some nice person would send the link. I just wanted to look at this season since I am starting to do better on innings, not looking at my early games when i had a crappy break and very high innins.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bw <hr /></blockquote>
Check your private messages.

Fred &lt;~~~ didn't send the link

bluewolf
01-31-2003, 08:43 AM
One more thing. Even if I am a two for awhile, It would be nice to tell when I am playing like a decent three or so. And even though I have won the last four matches, it is innings too that tell how good a person is, as well as the sl of the person the player beat, etc...So even though my win against the four in the tournament with the average innings per game of approximately 5.4 is more impressive than my winning last night against a good two with the innings averaging to 5.75, i would like to kind of keep track of the innings to gauge progress regardless of when I go up. It is not enough for me to 'just play'. I am goal directed and need to have a way to measure progress. This does not mean I am not having fun. I had fun while I was playing, just thought about the innings after the match was over.

Even if I am a two due to earlier matches and high innings I would still feel good about how I am playin if I am winning a lot and also have lower innings...if that makes any sens.

I guess my attitude was pretty sucky last week when I wrote that other post..sorry. A couple of nights staying in a hotel in the town I work in and playing with this really good op guy, mostly watching him /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif had a good effect. So my thinking this week is different, even if it seems like I am obsessing, I am obsessing in a different way /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bw

Fred Agnir
01-31-2003, 08:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> One more thing. Even if I am a two for awhile, It would be nice to tell when I am playing like a decent three or so. <hr /></blockquote>
Every time you win, you're playing like a 3. Does that help?

Fred

SpiderMan
01-31-2003, 09:05 AM
If the actual algorithm is published online somewhere, I'd like to see it also. It would be handy to cross-check the results we get tossed over the wall from the omnipotent "APA Software".

SpiderMan

bluewolf
01-31-2003, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> One more thing. Even if I am a two for awhile, It would be nice to tell when I am playing like a decent three or so. <hr /></blockquote>
Every time you win, you're playing like a 3. Does that help?

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Uh okay.

bw

Deeman
01-31-2003, 09:54 AM
Try this on for a bar table game. If you shoot at balls and sometimes make one, and occasionally string two or three together, you are probably a 2. If you can make a ball or two but have trouble because you are constantly shooting successively more difficult shots but only have a vague idea of where the cue ball is going but can make shots when needed on occasion, you might be a 3. If you consciencly look to where your cue ball will go and can, in some cases, control where it ends up, but still miss a few easy shots, you might be a 4. If you are intent on every shot and have a pretty good control of cue ball and make most of the makeable shots while just not being able to string a rack together except on occasion you may be a 5. If you play excellent position on most shots and miss very few open ones combined with a fair/good safety game, you may be a 6. If you get out from most runable racks but can leave your opponent stuck, in most cases, if you don't. You may be a 7. If you are constantly worried about what skill level you are at, you are probably not paying enough attention to basic skills needed to move up the ladder. We have all been there.

bluewolf
01-31-2003, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> Try this on for a bar table game. If you shoot at balls and sometimes make one, and occasionally string two or three together, you are probably a 2. If you can make a ball or two but have trouble because you are constantly shooting successively more difficult shots but only have a vague idea of where the cue ball is going but can make shots when needed on occasion, you might be a 3. If you consciencly look to where your cue ball will go and can, in some cases, control where it ends up, but still miss a few easy shots, you might be a 4. If you are intent on every shot and have a pretty good control of cue ball and make most of the makeable shots while just not being able to string a rack together except on occasion you may be a 5. If you play excellent position on most shots and miss very few open ones combined with a fair/good safety game, you may be a 6. If you get out from most runable racks but can leave your opponent stuck, in most cases, if you don't. You may be a 7. If you are constantly worried about what skill level you are at, you are probably not paying enough attention to basic skills needed to move up the ladder. We have all been there. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks very much. I do try to plan the ball shooting order and the position,and safeties but do still need quite a bit of work in all those skills and also difficult cuts.

Thanks for the approximation though. That sounds good. Is it the same rules for a 9ft table?

bw

Rich R.
01-31-2003, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> If the actual algorithm is published online somewhere, I'd like to see it also. It would be handy to cross-check the results we get tossed over the wall from the omnipotent "APA Software".

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>
SpiderMan, I don't believe the APA has published their algorithm. In fact, they are pretty secretive about it. On the national APA website, they advise against trying to keep your own records, to calculate your handicap, because it is a disruptive practice.
Unless some one from the APA headquarters leaked the information, I don't think you will find it.

TomBrooklyn
01-31-2003, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>Even if I am a two for awhile, It would be nice to tell when I am playing like a decent three or so.<hr /></blockquote>When bluewolf gets promoted, it will probably be the most widely celebrated APA promotion from an SL/2 ever!

Oh please, Dear Pool God, let bluewolf be an SL/3 soon. Deliver this woman out of her misery.

= Tom
(This won't start all over about becoming an SL4, will it?)

Deeman
01-31-2003, 11:06 AM
Sorry, but these are not rules, just my rough approximation of some key elements that define the different levels in a bar table league. I'm not much on playing on bar tables and think, for the most part, the skills really lag and that a lot of the 7's turn into 6's and so forth on a nine footer. If you are really good you can transfer the skills but it's really a different game on a long table. I am used to speaking in different terms of pool ranking and maybe a 7 is a weak "A" or strong "B" player and a 5 is a strong "C".

These are not scientific but just a rough approximation to me. I think my main message was to say, like the others, "concentrate more on the critical factors of pool, concentration, stance, position, stroke and defensive strategy and you'll go up the skill level ladder quicker than you would expect." I don't play many bar players but of the league play I have seen, I think most playing now could increase their S/L by one of two grades by just thinking out their shot selection and sequence a little more.

Best of luck!

bluewolf
01-31-2003, 11:53 AM
ROFL i Hope I wont go back and forth too much... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

at the rate i am going, i might get to be a four by retirement age..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

bw

Rod
01-31-2003, 12:30 PM
humm, everything you post about league or your play has a number attached to it. I wish I knew of a site that gave you all of the info, unfortunately I don't. Even with our system knowing how they play does not mean they are rated that number. I'll have a drink if you ever get your promotion, maybe two.

TomBrooklyn
01-31-2003, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>at the rate i am going, i might get to be a four by retirement age../ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif<hr /></blockquote>Ahh, negative thinking. Mental self imposed limitations implanting themselves in your subconsious. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Better to say to yourself something like: I can be an SL___ and I want to reach that level in _____ (fill in the blanks as you desire.)
=TB

nAz
01-31-2003, 01:45 PM
Funny Tom /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
hey what if she goes up to a SL3 and then drops to a back to a SL2 after
4 weeks /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif argghh someone may die!

BW dont worry about it, keep practicing and playing you will soon go up to SL3 and then maybe more. stay focus!

SpiderMan
01-31-2003, 04:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> I am used to speaking in different terms of pool ranking and maybe a 7 is a weak "A" or strong "B" player and a 5 is a strong "C".

<hr /></blockquote>

That's probably not too far off, at least if you're speaking of a "new 7". I'd say that strong-B players could just squeak into and hold the 7 handicap. A high C could possibly be a low 5.

Unfortunately, the SL7 rating is a ceiling in APA 8-ball, so there's a lot of compression at the top. If an undiscovered world champion played APA, he'd still just be a 7 and I'd have to play him even.

SpiderMan