PDA

View Full Version : Could this damage my shaft in any way?

Buckster_uk
01-31-2003, 02:50 AM
Hi, I shoot with an Adam cue, and it has a finish over it. I have lightly sanded it down to give it a smoother feel, but the shaft has discolored and has turned a bit green from the chalk. So I decided to clean it with a damp cloth and then put a dry cloth over it to get off the excess water, I got a lot of chalk etc off and it now looks a lot cleaner, when I went to play with it again, I didn't have to sand it or anything as it is playing well, nice and smooth, and has the feel of a newly sanded shaft. Is there any danger in using water on a sanded shaft? Or is this process quite ok?

Cheers

01-31-2003, 03:26 AM
No it won't damage your shaft actually if you use ajax and alittle water to clean you shaft it will come much cleaner then lightly sand it.you do want to use a sealer they have many out there you will have to choose one.I wouldn't use a paste because it will leave you shaft sticky.

Rich R.
01-31-2003, 06:37 AM
Just don't get it too wet and you will not have a problem. Use a lightly dampened cloth or paper towel to wipe the cue and dry it immediately.
When it comes to using sealers or waxes on your shaft, as recommended by pooshark, it seems to be a personal choice. I believe sealers and waxes are what becomes sticky on shafts during use. After the initial treatment of the shaft, by the maker, I, and many others, prefer not to apply any sealers or waxes. It is your choice.

01-31-2003, 08:03 AM
I have sanded and cleaned up my cue shaft with 400 grit sand paper and then sealed with Tru-oil. It is a gun stock product that seals and protect wood. 4 coats of this polished with 0000 steal wool works well. Shaft is smooth and stays a little cleaner....