PDA

View Full Version : Long Nights Abound

9 Ball Girl
01-31-2003, 07:59 AM
Okay. I got to the poolhall at 7:45PM yesterday. I did the auction, drew and announced the matches. Bothered Nazee whenever I got the chance. I got home today, 8:45 AM. Nuff said.

Wendy~~http://smilies.crowd9.com/otn/sleepy/blyawn.gif

Kato
01-31-2003, 08:54 AM
Impressive stamina. No wonder no man can handle you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato

SpiderMan
01-31-2003, 09:54 AM
Wendy,

Just curious, what sort of career/occupation allows you such flexibility in your schedule?

SpiderMan (I'd have to retire to get away with it)

Rich R.
01-31-2003, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Wendy,

Just curious, what sort of career/occupation allows you such flexibility in your schedule?

SpiderMan (I'd have to retire to get away with it) <hr /></blockquote>
SpiderMan, since it seems that Wendy may be sleeping, I'll take a shot at answering your question.
Wendy and I work for the same government agency, however, we are in different cities and we have very different jobs.
A lot of government agencies have several different flexible works schedules to choose from. One schedule allows me to start work anytime between the hours of 6:00 AM and 9:30 AM. Your workday is finished when you complete your 8 hours work, plus your lunch time. For example, if you start a 6, you get to leave at 2:30. Other schedules allow you to work 9 hours a day and you get one day off, within your 2 week pay period. Although not available in my area, there are some agencies that allow a 10 hour a day, 4 day a week schedule.
I'm not sure what schedule Wendy is on, but I'm sure she has some flexibility. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
And then there is always a little vacation time, which can be used any time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nAz
01-31-2003, 01:21 PM
thats what she did, 17 hours is way to much for me to do. she nuts she would do it every night is had the chance /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif id kill myself if i had to spend that much time with so many cut throat scumbags arghhh /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
let me go wake her up.

9 Ball Girl
01-31-2003, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> One schedule allows me to start work anytime between the hours of 6:00 AM and 9:30 AM. Your workday is finished when you complete your 8 hours work, plus your lunch time. For example, if you start a 6, you get to leave at 2:30. <hr /></blockquote>

That's right. That's the schedule I follow. I actually took today off only 'cause I felt like sticking it out all night at the PH. But I don't do that a lot. Usually, I'll get home by 3AM and sleep for about 4-5 hours and get to work by 9:30. It's only a half hour subway ride for me. Also, we accumulate our vacation and sick leave. We don't get the 2 weeks vacation and whatever it is that private companies give for sick leave. We can accumulate up to 240 hours of annual (vacation) leave in a year. If you're over that by the end of the year, then you have to Use or Lose it. Depending on how long you've been working with the gov't, you can earn that in increments of either 4, 6, or 8 hours every 2 weeks. I need 3 more years to earn 8. Sick leave is unlimited and earned in increments of 4 hours regardless of your time with the gov't.

Funny thing was when the PH owner had me and Naz walk into his office to try to figure out what was wrong with his computer! Does my job follow me or what?

9 Ball Girl
01-31-2003, 02:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> let me go wake her up. <hr /></blockquote>

Why is it that my phone rings extra loud when someone knows I'm trying to sleep and insists on calling me up?! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
01-31-2003, 05:25 PM
Wendy,
When I was your age, I was playing from Friday nite until Monday morning. It wasn't much.. $5/game or a race to whatever for $20.. but we would play until either of us went bust. Usually the house made more money for table time than we did gambling..

eg8r
01-31-2003, 09:51 PM
Rich,

I work for a government contractor and I have to say the 9/80 work weeks are wonderful. We work 9 hour shifts 4 days a week, then one week we work friday (8 hours) the next week we have friday off. I love it.

eg8r

Rich R.
02-01-2003, 05:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Rich,

I work for a government contractor and I have to say the 9/80 work weeks are wonderful. We work 9 hour shifts 4 days a week, then one week we work friday (8 hours) the next week we have friday off. I love it.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>
eg8r, many people in my office are on that shift, we call it 5-4-9, and they like it. I prefer starting at 6 and getting out at 2:30, especially in the summer time. I worked too many years, when I rarely got to see the light of day, so I take advantage of it now when I can. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It does make it hard, the morning after my league night, though. Getting to bed at midnight, and the alarm going off at 4, is better suited to younger people. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Most people working for the government can make much more money, in the private sector, but it is hard to beat the flexible work schedules and leave benefits. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I guess you have to give a little to get a little.

fast_eddie_B
02-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Plus it's hard as hell for them to get rid of ya, right? lol

Rich R.
02-03-2003, 04:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote fast_eddie_B:</font><hr> Plus it's hard as hell for them to get rid of ya, right? lol

<hr /></blockquote>
That is a common misconception. If they really want to get rid of you, they can easily do it.

eg8r
02-03-2003, 07:14 AM
I believe you are confused with Union workers. They are tough to fire even when blatently doing wrong. Oh well.

eg8r &lt;~~~Not a union employee

eg8r
02-03-2003, 07:18 AM
I come in everyday between 5:45 and 6:00 AM. My day is over at 3:30. Not only is there sunlight when I leave work, but all the other businesses are still open. It leaves me time to run to the bank or anything else that I need to do. I LOVE the 5-4-9 or as we call it the 9/80 shift. Off every other Friday is a blessing.

eg8r &lt;~~~Loves his job

fast_eddie_B
02-03-2003, 11:36 AM
Well I guess it depends on what you do for the government, and your right, if they wanna can you, they will and quickly if need be.
Oh, and sunlight, what's that? no sunlight here

9 Ball Girl
02-03-2003, 03:04 PM
I prefer to leave at 6PM. After all, my pool activities don't start til about 7 PM for league and 10:30ish PM for Tourneys. So I try to earn credit eveyday.

Wendy~~get home by 4? what to do, what to do? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif