PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Gambling Debt To Get Paid?

Sid_Vicious
01-31-2003, 08:00 AM
I ran into a guy who I haven't seen in going on 2 years, he owes me a small piece of cash from the last time we saw each other, and it appears(still not certain) that I'll see the payment after all. What's the longest timeframe you've gone before finally seeing your money? Were you surprised???sid

SpiderMan
01-31-2003, 09:21 AM
It took four years and complaint letters to the BCA national office for my team to finally collect $1200 in overdue winnings from a League Operator, for our 1997 9-ball season and state tournament. I'm trying to save myself ulcers and forgive/forget the whole affair. It griped my ass so bad I dropped out of organized pool for two years. One of my former teammates still doesn't play.

SpiderMan

Popcorn
01-31-2003, 10:04 AM
7 years, I loaned a guy $1000. for what was to be a few days and got one payment of $300. Before he disappeared 7 years later the phone rang and when I picked it up. It was him, He said who he was and he asked if I remembered him? I said yes, you still owe me $700. from that $1000 I loaned you. He said he had thought about me many times and I was the last guy he wanted to screw because I had been good to him at a bad time in his life. He said he had some money and was sending me the money he owed. He did not say much else, I think he was a little embarrassed. To put this in perspective, I had owned a pool room at the time and often loaned money. When I sold it, my wife was going over some of the IOU's. It came to over $10,000 we were owed from various people over the years. Much of this in small loans of no more then $100 to $200. Not bar tabs, all loans. She decided to try to see what she could collect. I told her if you want, go a head what ever you can collect is yours. It is amazing that all you have to do most of the time, is have the nerve to ask and you get paid. After the first few paid her on the spot, she was ready to go. She collected more then half of it. I think the only ones that did not pay were the ones she could not find. What is funny is, some of these guys I would see all the time. But if you don't mention it, they play dumb and will never offer. None of this was gambling debt by the way, all loans. When you take hard earned money out of your pocket and give it to someone when they are in need, I think they should pay it back no matter what. I regard a gambling debt a little different. I have never been stiffed anything that amounted to much. An air barrel here and there.but that is about all. If you are betting what amounts to anything, it should be up. I have had young guys look at me like I am nuts, when I ask to post money. It is the best policy and if someone in offended, I am sorry, they have to humor me if they want to play. At the very least a show of money may be enough to play, or putting up the last game.

Steve Lipsky
01-31-2003, 11:25 AM
Popcorn,

I agree about posting the money. Another advantage is that, with the money in some neutral place, neither player would be inclined to just unscrew and leave in the event of an argument.

There's a lot more incentive to stick around and talk it out than when the money is still in each participant's wallet.

- Steve

Wally_in_Cincy
01-31-2003, 11:57 AM
Harry "Hammer" Harrison still owes me a beer from 1999. Why would someone welsh you for a stupid beer?

Rod
01-31-2003, 12:09 PM
Your story sounds very familiar. When you own a room automatically you are assumed to be the First Federal Savings & LOAN. I use to say, go outside and read the name on my sign. Does it mention anywhere on there about being a bank? I use to lend money but in the end I only lent to a hand full of players/friends. I am amazed you would lend to so many. I still have a grand from one person floating out there and I never expect to see it or him again.

TomBrooklyn
01-31-2003, 12:17 PM
The lazy, non-working brother of a friend of mine used used to ask me to loan him some money from time to time, usually fifty to a hundred dollars. I didn't think this guy was the type to pay back, so I always refused with some kind of excuse like I was tight that day etc.

One time he asked me for only ten dollars. I saw an opportunity. I gave him the ten, figuring I would never get it back. But if he didn't pay it back, he could never bother me for a loan again. All I would have to say is that you didn't pay me back that ten, I can't lend to you again because you didn't pay back.

The plan worked, he actually avoided me from then on. Lol. It cost me ten dollars to get him to stop bothering me. It was worth it.
-Tom

Tom_In_Cincy
01-31-2003, 01:58 PM
Still waiting on a 1989 debt from Louie Roberts

nAz
01-31-2003, 02:29 PM
still waiting on wendy /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

anyways have a couple of peps out there that owe me big really big! money and favors err none of it is pool related /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

@ Popcorn whats an "air barrel"?

01-31-2003, 02:45 PM
6 months, the catch-my friend was down 200 to someone else and paid it back over 6 months, at the time he didn't even know they were gambling! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
01-31-2003, 02:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> still waiting on wendy /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Huh? I don't owe you anything. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif Oh, you must mean the answer to the question you popped to me yesterday... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
01-31-2003, 03:50 PM
When you have a pool room, although they are costumers, They become friends. It is a different kind of business then if you own a shoe store or something. It is hard to say no, and they know you do have the money and it puts you in an difficult position. The major problem is you may lose not only the money but the costumer. That is the problem with tabs also, they stop coming around when they owe you money and go somewhere else.

Popcorn
01-31-2003, 03:57 PM
It is one game or set played beyond when they have gone broke. When you gamble you often refer to the money as barrels. If you are playing $10. a game and have $100. you have 10 barrels. I had a guy get even on me once and brag later that he was on air for the last set. That is why you put up.

nAz
01-31-2003, 04:04 PM
ahh i see, thanks POP.

wendy?

Hopster
02-01-2003, 03:42 PM
When going to collect debts, keep this adage in mind : You can go further with a kind word and a gun than just a kind word.

Just kidding guys. :-)

Scott Lee
02-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Tom...You still OWE me a drink...for being the first one to ID you last year in Valley Forge! LOL Pay up! Of course, with interest, now you owe TWO drinks! I'll take them when I trade Barbara for some of those luscious nuts! LOL

Scott

#### leonard
02-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Rod this isn't a debt but it was the funniest story in the poolroom for years. The fellow who put all the balls in on the break was leaving the poolroom and Wally the houseman asked him to bring him back tea and toast. Andy left the poolroom and went to Virginia for 6 months. When he came back to the poolroom he brought Wally his tea and toast.####