PDA

View Full Version : Live to ride...

bluewolf
01-31-2003, 08:05 AM
I had a honda bike a number of years back but gave it up...It was too light and it just did not seem to be sturdy enough for highway travel. It was okay for around town. I did not want something like a goldwing. I wanted a sportster or another harley. I am sure I will be getting one soon like a used one.

Anybody know what is a decent price on a used sportster. I would be getting the larger one...mean is it 1200 [cc] or so?

Sorry, do not know very much except that that is what I want. I have a couple of good friends who have riden for many years, and one is a mechanic and that was both of their recommendations.

Also, if anyone who is experienced in riding has tips or kool riding stories, I would like to hear them.

bw

SpiderMan
01-31-2003, 10:09 AM
Not a Harley yuppie myself, but around here (Dallas market area) I'd say a used sportster from five to fifteen years old in good condition (garage kept, no known problems) would bring between $3500 and $5500. Sid's best friend recently sold a very nice '85 with lots of extras for $4500. Condition is probably more important than age.

SpiderMan

heater451
01-31-2003, 11:39 AM
For pricing, you can always check out Autotrader Online or poke around eBay. Harleys tend to retain their re-sale value--or their owners think they do, which amounts to the same thing. I would recommend staying with an EVO engine.

Also, you might want to check out the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) for a local training area: http://www.msf-usa.org/pages/MAIN1.html

And, if I have to pass on one tip in particular, this would be it:

Take some time in a parking lot to practice hard (or "panic") braking, and controlled, rear locked-up slides. Although you may think that you will "just cruise", and never need to stop hard, those cellphone-using drivers, tunnel-visioned soccer moms, and other cranial-rectal auto operators may surprise you.

Knowing how to control his bike in an emergency might have saved my friend's life, back in '95. . . .

================

WaltVA
01-31-2003, 12:07 PM
SpiderMan - Did you see the Spiderman custom in the last Iron Horse? Friend brought his copy to the ph, when I saw it I thought of you - wild bike!

Walt in VA

heater451
01-31-2003, 01:58 PM
That was done by Orange County Choppers: http://www.orangecountychoppers.com/occ/default.html
There was a show on Discovery Channel, or TLC, a week or so ago, but I can't find a reference--all I can find is some Jesse James/Monster Garage stuff. . . .

=============

nAz
01-31-2003, 02:12 PM
One thing about Harleys that i love, is that it retains much of its value after you buy one. a import can drop about half of what you paid for it after a year or so.

heater451
01-31-2003, 02:17 PM
Value is 'as percieved'--Adam Smith's supply and demand and all. . . .

Harley's and Honda's are worth the same, if you never sell them. . . .I suppose that you could buy a Harley as an investment, but I prefer to ride.

===============

bluewolf
01-31-2003, 04:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> Value is 'as percieved'--Adam Smith's supply and demand and all. . . .

Harley's and Honda's are worth the same, if you never sell them. . . .I suppose that you could buy a Harley as an investment, but I prefer to ride.

[ QUOTE ]

Which Honda's do you ride? Which one's do you like? How is the weight distributed? Which one's are good for a low center of gravity. Also some one told me the harley picks up easier than another bike of lighter weight due to the weight distribution. Is this true?

bw