PDA

View Full Version : Frans post regarding the "glove!"

CarolNYC
01-31-2003, 06:07 PM
Previously,Fran posted the wearing of the glove while playing pool-well, I have ALWAY worn a glove due to the fact that my hands were moist,why? I dont know,but,after practicing with her without the glove, I played on my team at the Amsterdam for the FIRST time WITHOUT a glove and let me say this-I had more feel and control,it was amazing,(but also missed some stupid shots),but I can now say ,I will NOT use a glove again-it makes a difference!Then again, with Tony as our captain and coach,do I need a glove,ha ha ha!NOT!:):):)
Carol~loves knowledge and listens!

Karatemom
01-31-2003, 07:11 PM
Hey Carol! What made you switch from wearing the glove to not? I've never worn one, but then again, my hands never sweat. In fact, they're always ice cold! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heide

Barbara
01-31-2003, 07:31 PM
"Cold hands, warm heart."

"Moist hands,

Well, let's not go there.

So next time I have the basement pretty cool, (read : cold) I'll try shooting without the glove and see how it feels. I'll probably try shooting for a while with an open bridge like I used to do and experiment.

Actually, I was doing drills last time with an open bridge (with glove) because last time I shot something was moving in my backswing that I couldn't figure out. Using an open bridge, I got it straigthened out - sure enough - for a few successfull shots on "Kinister's Shot #1" later on.

I'll give an open dry hand a try, but I think some players have developed some dry/calloused skin on their bridge hand touch points unbeknownest to them.

Barbara~~~always uses Shot #1 to drill...

Alfie
02-01-2003, 01:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Actually, I was doing drills last time with an open bridge (with glove) because last time I shot something was moving in my backswing that I couldn't figure out. Using an open bridge, I got it straigthened out [...] <hr /></blockquote>What was the problem? How did an open bridge help diagnose/fix the problem?

CarolNYC
02-01-2003, 02:57 AM
Good morning Heide,
I switched ,mainly, because of what I was reading in that thread Fran posted(I trust her judgement and experiencce totally)-(I used a "SLIX" glove)then when we practiced,she said " just try and see what it feels like"-I wiped my cue and hands,bridged and shot and it really made a difference in the feel of stroke-my problem has always been speed-(too hard,too soft)-but now ,for some reason,I can feel the speed-I mean, I would never down anyone for wearing a glove,thats their own preference,but believe me when I say "I would NOT play if I didnt have my glove,I would actually purchase one going crazy looking"ha ha ha ha-but Im really glad I tried it and am satisfied-its just worth the try!:)
See ya soon!
Carol:)

CarolNYC
02-01-2003, 03:02 AM
Hi Barb,
"Moist hands,WARMEST heart!":)
I know you wear a glove,but like I said ,"its worth a try"-as for bridging,It depends on the shot-mainly I use closed bridge,but open bridge in straight pool-something to do with "Finesse"-rail shots,open bridge-whatever works,ha ha ha
Carol~hi to the big guy!

Brent
02-01-2003, 08:27 AM
When I started playing I didn't have my own cue and I was always playing with some crooked shitty house cue and the shaft part was always different. Sometimes it was slick and sliding well other times it was rough and non-slipping. I also noticed that some pro players who I saw from TV ..well the were shooting with a closed bridge. That was very weird for me I tryed it but since no glove sweaty hand and a non-slip house cue ...well it was yuck /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Then I bought the glove and from the first day with the glove I have been shooting with a closed bridge. At first it was different and I was missing silly shots but then I got used to it and my game approved. Then I got some money and decided to buy my own cue but I left the glove on cuz I feel comfortable with it. Maybe ur right ..it stops me from feeling the real cue, but heck for me the real cue feeling comes when the glove is on. For me that feeling is normal and the other is weird...so dont come saying that the glove is full of #### or something like that. U dont like it ? Maybe u just dont like me beating u playing with it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ok sorry girls I got a bit carried a away /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just dont like some guys judgeing my equipment. Later all.

Barbara
02-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Well Alfie,

For some reason, whether it was my body alignment or not shooting straight through the cue ball, I was "off" on my center ball stop shots. That is, the CB would go either right or left of the OB after contact.

By using an open bridge, your arm movement has to be dead straight shooting through the CB as opposed to using your fingers in a closed bridge to help guide the cuestick.

Ever notice that Allison and Karen Corr shoot mostly with an open bridge? It is part of their snooker background, but they also have a dead straight stroke shooting through the CB.

What I'm trying to say is that you have to have better mechanics in your stroke to shoot well with an open bridge. So when I'm "off" somehwere in my strike, shooting stop shots with the OB 2 diamonds away with an open bridge will help me get my stroke and machanics back in alignment.

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
02-01-2003, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brent:</font><hr>

...so dont come saying that the glove is full of #### or something like that. U dont like it ? Maybe u just dont like me beating u playing with it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ok sorry girls I got a bit carried a away /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just dont like some guys judgeing my equipment. Later all.

<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Some league players I know would also never consider using the mechanical bridge. IMO that's just being pig-headed. I won't hesitate to use it at any time. If it helps me beat them that's what's important.

bluewolf
02-01-2003, 01:21 PM
[quote=Brent...Maybe ur right ..it stops me from feeling the real cue, but heck for me the real cue feeling comes when the glove is on. For me that feeling is normal and the other is weird...so dont come saying that the glove is full of #### or something like that. U dont like it ? Maybe u just dont like me beating u playing with it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ok sorry girls I got a bit carried a away /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just dont like some guys judgeing my equipment. Later all.

<hr /></blockquote>

ROFL I have been using a glove also due to sticky hands. it is a pain, something else I have to take to the ph and take out of the bag etc. I think Fran's suggestion is worth trying. Heck, it never hurts to try any suggestion. Personally, I am hoping that it will work and I can leave the glove at home. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bw

Alfie
02-01-2003, 05:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> What I'm trying to say is that you have to have better mechanics in your stroke to shoot well with an open bridge. So when I'm "off" somehwere in my strike, shooting stop shots with the OB 2 diamonds away with an open bridge will help me get my stroke and machanics back in alignment. <hr /></blockquote>Thanks barbara.

02-02-2003, 03:08 AM
I want say your glove is full of #### as you say but the truth is you need to feel the wood and the grain through your fingers to really get a feel for it.when you put a glove on your breaking the contact between your feel for the shaft.

CarolNYC
02-02-2003, 05:10 AM
Hey Brent,
If it feels right,then by all means ,DO IT!Whatever works!
Wishing you well!

CarolNYC
02-02-2003, 05:12 AM
You betcha Wally,
If I cant reach that shot,I'd grab that bridge in a heartbeat!:):)
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
02-02-2003, 05:14 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gifWORDUP!
Carol~loves the feel!

TomBrooklyn
02-02-2003, 01:25 PM
In the winter, unless I am getting dressed up, I usually wear those brownish red cloth gloves that cost about a dollar or two a pair and can be gotten in any hardware store. When I walk to a pool hall I wear these gloves to keep my hands warm; especially if I am not wearing a coat or long sleeved shirt. When I get there, sometimes I play with them on both hands for a while. They're not too bad to use for a while.

cheesemouse
02-02-2003, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> In the winter, unless I am getting dressed up, I usually wear those brownish red cloth gloves that cost about a dollar or two a pair and can be gotten in any hardware store. When I walk to a pool hall I wear these gloves to keep my hands warm; especially if I am not wearing a coat or long sleeved shirt. When I get there, sometimes I play with them on both hands for a while. They're not too bad to use for a while. <hr /></blockquote>

Geez Tom isn't that kind of A Pondexter thing to do. I'd be scared to do that in NEW YORK CITY for fear of appearing un-cool or even worse girlie.......BAHAAAAAAHAAAAAAA....I will now appoligize to each and every person who has ever posted here or will post here in the future for what I just wrote. I am a bad bad boy and should be spanked repeatedly......LMAO..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TomBrooklyn
02-03-2003, 08:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Geez Tom isn't that kind of A Pondexter thing to do. <hr /></blockquote>Not really, cheese. It actually has a sort of tough look I think, an "I don't want to hurt my knuckles if I punch you look", which is actually why I wear them sometimes, anyway. But I guess my point above was that if I could play with those gloves on both hands, a pool glove on one hand couldn't be too bad. Tom

TomBrooklyn
02-03-2003, 09:11 PM
Me and my dogs were shooting around and trying some shots and stuff last night and I picked up my homy's cue to try something and the shaft was as sticky as flypaper. It was a Longoni cue with a varnished shaft. The guy who owns it is wearing a glove. Duh, no wonder. I told him to get the varnish off the shaft. Sand it off. The owner of the pool hall grabbed the cue stick and said the same thing.

Nope. This chap likes the varnished look. Lol. He is a recent convert from Bar tables to pool halls anyway. He'll probably figure out that cue shafts are meant to be slick someday, and then he can take his glove off. =Tom

Brent
02-04-2003, 01:13 AM
Whats a varnish ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CarolNYC
02-04-2003, 05:58 AM
Believe it or not,Tom,
One girl wore a woolen glove with the fingertips cut off-quite unusual, but if it works,do it-theres no rule about improvising,ha ha ha!
Good for you!

CarolNYC
02-04-2003, 06:07 AM
Hey there Cheesemouse,
I wouldnt find that "uncool"ROFL-but what would be "uncool" is missing BIH on the 8 or 9!:)
Have a nice day!
Carol~has been uncool!No one knows that better than Rich R.!:)

CarolNYC
02-04-2003, 06:19 AM
Cm'on now Tom,
"I don't want to hurt my knuckles if I punch you look"
Dont you have the rings,brass knuckles and just plain old"BAT?"
Carol~And never use your cue!ROFL giving the Alabama wave!:)

02-04-2003, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Believe it or not,Tom,
One girl wore a woolen glove with the fingertips cut off-quite unusual, but if it works,do it-theres no rule about improvising,ha ha ha!
Good for you!
Carol:) <hr /></blockquote>Jeanette Lee wrote in her book that when she started wearing a glove she didn't even know they made them for pool. She was at a fancy dinner party wearing elbow-length silk gloves and her and friends went to shoot pool. She left the gloves on and loved the feel, so she went home and cut 2 fingers out and used it from then on. Later at a tournament she saw another player wearing a (real) pool glove, and realized that she didn't have to make her own anymore.

I just started trying a glove after 25 years of playing. It just feels nice. I suppose you give up a little feel, but I haven't noticed a lapse in my game, in fact I think I'm shooting better. Maybe as my game improves to a certain level, I'll get more benefit from the "feel" of the cue, but then again both Jeanette and Earl use a glove.

David &lt;--- sticking with his glove for now (no pun intended) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
02-04-2003, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brent:</font><hr> Whats a varnish ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

A paint containing a solvent and an oxidizing or evaporating binder, used to coat a surface with a hard, glossy, transparent film.

It's the stuff on your wooden furniture.

Shellac and lacquer are similar.

Rich R.
02-04-2003, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> but what would be "uncool" is missing BIH on the 8 or 9!:)
Have a nice day!
Carol~has been uncool!No one knows that better than Rich R.!:) <hr /></blockquote>
I have been a witness to Carol being uncool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif But, that is in the past and we are looking to the future. Carol is very Cool . /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif