PDA

View Full Version : Scariest pool hall on earth...

02-01-2003, 03:47 AM
I recently moved to a new city... It is a very very small town in the country(I am a journalist, and wanted a low stress small town newspaper job while I work on a novel.) All is well with the exception of billiards. There is only one pool hall, and the regulars there are ummm.... to put it politely they still live in the 1800s. The pool hall is entitled "Lee's Place", and the inside is decorated by confedarate flags(which I didn't know until I entered.)

The problem is this... I am an African-American male with long
natty, natural dreadlocks. Needless to say, I draw a bit of attention when I enter this pool hall. "Lee's Place" is the only pool hall which I can speak negatively about. In other unfamiliar halls, people generally ask me how I am doing and are very polite, whereas here people ask me "hey mon, washed your hair lately?" "What's wrong with calling black folk niggers?" "Hey mon where's the ganja at?" etc...It is as if I have entered a episode of the twilight zone...

In anycase, can anyone give me drills/exercises for playing solo. I am getting sort of tired of playing 8ball/9ball/straight pool alone. I am generally not shy about finding competion in unfamiliar territory, but in this hall I fear being lynched. The closest pool hall besides this backwoods joint is about an hour and a half away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I would assume not enter "Lee's Place" again, but unfortunately I love pool. I actually own my own table, but simply don't have room in my current apt. for it, so I keeping it elsewhere for the time being.

soygordo

cuechick
02-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Wow, and I thought I had it tough, I just moved to the South, and it took me a few weeks to get use to my new room, and to get men to play with me. One older man I played dwith always calls me "Baby" but I find that endearing...
Drills:
I like this one, set up the same shot, should not be too difficult or too easy, but you must do it 15 times with out missing. It is a pressure and focus drill, as you get down to the last few balls, you really don't want to miss.
Also try playing the "ghost" , in 9 ball, I break and remove 3 balls unless any went down on the break, so I am left with an open 6 ball table, and give myself ball in hand, I have to run out, if I miss, the "ghost" ALWAYS runs out, I try to run 5 tables then go to a 7 ball run...

Where are you living? I would probally make the drive a few times a week to the other pool rooms, and also maybe join a team/ league. Then people HAVE to play you, you can go to poolplayers.com and check your area for the closest APA league operator. Have you tried a few lighthearted redneck jokes in return?
Like "Hey mAn, when your daddy married his sister, did you call her Mommy or Auntie?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Goodluck on your book and I'd keep a journal of this experiance,I am sure it would make for an interesting article.

Vagabond
02-01-2003, 09:33 AM
Howdy,
Where is this Lee`s place located?Next weekened I like to drive there and check it out.Coming back at them with a red neck jokes will only lead to more trouble.By the way I am a red neck and I am in Lumberton,North carolina.Hope u will be able turn the things around and make them like u.Cheers
Vagabond

cheesemouse
02-01-2003, 09:35 AM
soygordo,
Having cut my teeth in what could be called the 'old style' pool hall, you know, men only culture club. It would be my guess that the decor of the place is a direct reflection of the owners outlook. As a jounalist I would use your investigative skills to check out the owner a bit. Knowing the peeking order that naturally exists in the old p/h settings I would be leery of the one or two idiots looking to make a name for themselves by harrassing you or trying to create a scene. Hopefully it is just a decor and not a reflection local attitudes. Discretion is the better part of valor...

Popcorn
02-01-2003, 09:41 AM
Don't go there. No one wants to feel like their life is being manipulated, but it is best to live in the real world. I would myself not hang around a biker bar, why subject yourself to that. Make the drive and forget about it.

TomBrooklyn
02-01-2003, 10:41 AM
How about engaging the owner in some conversation, and working it in to the conversation that you are a newspaper writer, and you may want to write a feature article about the pool hall. The owner would probably appreciate the publicity, and would prefer it to be of a positive nature. If you get him on your side, the patrons would be likely to follow suit.

Vapros
02-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Soygordo, I don't know much about you and you have not said where this poolroom is, but it sounds like a place to avoid. You did say you were afraid of what might happen.

It's obviously a racial situation and that means it is not likely that you will make any friends in there - at least not easily. You might reach the point at which you will be able to play there withhout trouble, but I can't imagine taking my money to a place where I'm not wanted. I realize that this is sort of an antiquated attitude and will draw some fire, but that's my feeling about it. I say tank up and drive as far as you need to. Life is too short.

SecaucusFats
02-01-2003, 05:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote soygordo:</font><hr> I recently moved to a new city... It is a very very small town in the country(I am a journalist, and wanted a low stress small town newspaper job while I work on a novel.) All is well with the exception of billiards. There is only one pool hall, and the regulars there are ummm.... to put it politely they still live in the 1800s. The pool hall is entitled "Lee's Place", and the inside is decorated by confedarate flags(which I didn't know until I entered.)

natty, natural dreadlocks. Needless to say, I draw a bit of attention when I enter this pool hall. "Lee's Place" is the only pool hall which I can speak negatively about. In other unfamiliar halls, people generally ask me how I am doing and are very polite, whereas here people ask me "hey mon, washed your hair lately?" "What's wrong with calling black folk niggers?" "Hey mon where's the ganja at?" etc...It is as if I have entered a episode of the twilight zone...

In anycase, can anyone give me drills/exercises for playing solo. I am getting sort of tired of playing 8ball/9ball/straight pool alone. I am generally not shy about finding competion in unfamiliar territory, but in this hall I fear being lynched. The closest pool hall besides this backwoods joint is about an hour and a half away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I would assume not enter "Lee's Place" again, but unfortunately I love pool. I actually own my own table, but simply don't have room in my current apt. for it, so I keeping it elsewhere for the time being.

soygordo
<hr /></blockquote>

Don't go there, don't put one dime in the owner's pocket. It angers me that in this day and age there are still stupid racist Neanderthals running around. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The pool halls I frequent have all kinds of players every shade and tone of skin and hair, male, female, straight, gay, every religion, lots of different ethnic backgrounds and everyone has a good time. You'd be most welcome around here (North Jersey).

Fats

eg8r
02-01-2003, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't go there, don't put one dime in the owner's pocket. It angers me that in this day and age there are still stupid racist Neanderthals running around.
<hr /></blockquote> AMEN

eg8r

02-01-2003, 08:03 PM
i'm sorry but i just don't buy it.

you're not a journalist. 3-dot punctuation, screwed-up word usage "assume" for "as soon" ? nobody who sells words and is professionally edited could possibly make the kind of mistakes you've got in there. i also doubt you're black. ask a real black person about the word "nappy"? dreds ain't easy. 'fros is easy, dreds is hard. i guess you're just trying to have fun with a room, somewhere, called lee's place.

anyway, try the ghost in call-rotation. that'll keep you busy, bro.

dan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote soygordo:</font><hr> I recently moved to a new city... It is a very very small town in the country(I am a journalist, and wanted a low stress small town newspaper job while I work on a novel.) All is well with the exception of billiards. There is only one pool hall, and the regulars there are ummm.... to put it politely they still live in the 1800s. The pool hall is entitled "Lee's Place", and the inside is decorated by confedarate flags(which I didn't know until I entered.)

soygordo
<hr /></blockquote>

fast_eddie_B
02-01-2003, 08:55 PM
I like playing Fargo, but with a slight moderation. i make it a rule to turn on different balls depending how i'm feeling that day. that's not really a drill game though
how bout, call your next two shots straight pool. try running 50 like that, /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
fast eddie B

fast_eddie_B
02-01-2003, 09:00 PM
with life you have ignorant ppl, and ignorant pool halls that choice to just rape the sport, and give the sport a bad name. I feel for you, man. I am in the same situation, though it is temporary. I'm in Germany now, just outside of Frankfurt and I don't speak German. Oh, and european women are amazing, end of story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
fast eddie B

NH_Steve
02-01-2003, 11:15 PM
I've got a room about ten minutes from my house, but haven't been there for years. Don't like the equipment, there's no decent players ('cuz the owner has alienated all the good ones), and there's too many drunks. I drive an hour and 40 minutes (each way) to a nice little player oriented room (where they like one pocket, too /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). It cuts into my pool time, but I really enjoy my time at the table.

Best of luck to you, where ever you end up playing...

Icon of Sin
02-02-2003, 01:49 PM
That really sucks about your situation, only thing I can say is what eveyone else is saying, play "ghost" or make the drive...

and dont listen to some of the negative opinions here, they are given to everyone /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif... good luck

snipershot
02-02-2003, 03:40 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation, I too live in the country and have to drive quite a distance to go to any pool hall. I say to hell with the hillbilly locals, screw them and drive the distance to get to a decent pool hall, if not I would suggest what everybody else has and play the "ghost" once you have your table set up and ready to go.

02-02-2003, 05:35 PM
I work for a small town newspaper covering trivial news. This is the kind of newspaper that a high school english professor would give extra-credit for finding grammatical errors in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif To be honest, after meeting deadlines, working over trivial news articles with an AP style book, it is quite nice to write a message and save it as first draft. I spend most of my days writing and rewriting, so I am certainly not going to spend an hour checking the grammar of my CCB posts.

As far as race goes, I don't believe in race. However, I do think there are certain cultural differences based on ethnicity. Unfortunately, others(such as the people in the pool hall) do believe in race(this may fit in the cultural differences based on ethnicity) To give a further description of this culture, there is a bar here called "Southern Fever" and the outside is painted to be a confederate flag.

If you question my experiences with racism... go to yahoo and do a search for Jason Kindinger. It should pull up several interesting news articles about myself. You'll also see the reason why this pool hall makes me uncomfortable.

Finally, Fros and dreadlocks are equally difficult. Fros are extremely high maintence. For natural dreads, you just need patience. After the hair dreads, it is very low maintence. The only thing that is hard is keeping them seperated.

In response to
Poster: houstondan
Subject: Re: Scariest pool hall on earth...

i'm sorry but i just don't buy it.

you're not a journalist. 3-dot punctuation, screwed-up word usage "assume" for "as soon" ? nobody who sells words and is professionally edited could possibly make the kind of mistakes you've got in there. i also doubt you're black. ask a real black person about the word "nappy"? dreds ain't easy. 'fros is easy, dreds is hard. i guess you're just trying to have fun with a room, somewhere, called lee's place.

anyway, try the ghost in call-rotation. that'll keep you busy, bro.

dan

02-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I found another pool hall that is only about 45 minutes away, so I have been visiting there. It is actually in a decent town, Huntington WV. This where Marshall University is located.

I made the move to this town right after new years. (I will leave the town anonymous, as I feel bad [censored] talking about a city as a whole.) I had just gotten a new Jacoby cue two days prior to moving. With all the packing for the move I didn't have hardly anytime to play with it. So I move here to Anonymousville, U.S.A. and ahhh... needless to say it was frustrating. After a long day of writing all I wanted to do was shoot a little with the new cue, but had to submit myself to such a dire environment.

02-02-2003, 05:53 PM
I actually lived directly above a biker bar for about a year. It was called "The Smiling Skull." I found most of the bikers to be extremely nice. With some bikers there seems to be a very thin line between biker and hippie. I could certainly fall into the latter category to some degree, so we managed to get along fine. The bar was also located in a very liberal city.

In response to
Poster: Popcorn

Don't go there. No one wants to feel like their life is being manipulated, but it is best to live in the real world. I would myself not hang around a biker bar, why subject yourself to that. Make the drive and forget about it.

02-02-2003, 05:55 PM
I have heard of Fargo before, but don't know how it is played. I think the topic of Fargo came up on CCB in the past. I will do a search and check it out.

02-02-2003, 06:01 PM
I actually, I have a lot of family in Germany. I get my brown skin from my father, but my mother is white. My last name is Kindinger. It's origin is from a Northern Austria town called Kinding(this was around the 16th century, so I doubt it is still there.) In anycase, our family reunions alternate from Germany and the U.S. every five years. I am going to try to make to the reunion in Germany in 2005.

Poster: fast_eddie_B
with life you have ignorant ppl, and ignorant pool halls that choice to just rape the sport, and give the sport a bad name. I feel for you, man. I am in the same situation, though it is temporary. I'm in Germany now, just outside of Frankfurt and I don't speak German. Oh, and european women are amazing, end of story.
fast eddie B

02-02-2003, 06:50 PM
ok, sorry.

dan

02-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Just got the rules of Fargo from playpool.com. Though I haven't played it, after looking over the rules it seems as if it would be very entertaining. This is the type of game I was looking for. I like the fact there are numerical values, similar to say golf or bowling where one can measure their progress.

bigbro6060
02-02-2003, 09:05 PM
Gee don't i feel spoilt

I live 2 mins from a great pool hall, they have comps, leagues and everything

there are at least another 5 Pool halls within a 15-20 min drive if i feel like a change, one is where all the state's best Snooker players hang out. On top of these pool halls there must be at least 10-15 pubs/bars/taverns where you can go play too, all within say 20-30 mins

I have a table at home anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NBC-BOB
02-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Well it's really a shame that you ran into this.I was on a business trip a few years ago down south and was kind of shocked when I heard some of the local rednecks making comments in the background when this black man came into the room.I would stick with my instincts and not go there anymore.Good Luck!

02-05-2003, 09:07 PM
It's disheartening to hear that this attitude still exists in America today, but it unfortunately is true. I was raised in a small town in an area that is still referred to as "Little Dixie". Most people there think if you don't have at least one rifle and a Confederate Flag hanging from the rear window of your pick-up truck, you must be some kind of damn communist! I know that sounds like a joke, but it's only a slight exageration (very slight). Happy to hear you've found a new venue for your pool game. I'm afraid the Klansmen frequenting "Lee's Place" aren't going to welcome members of any other ethnic group anytime soon.