PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle, Hear It SPetty??

Sid_Vicious
02-01-2003, 09:55 AM
I was lounging in bed this morning in my normally quiet far No DFW country home, when about 0805CST I heard this intense rumble, and it made me wonder if something of a serious nature had happened. The outside dogs barked like crazy, and I sensed that even the crows were singing an extra alert, but I decided to lay there and just trust that Dallas had not exploded or something. Then when I switched on the TV at 0850 upon rising I see this news about the shuttle coming apart over No Central Texas, and I went outside to look. It was easy to see the big jet trail, heading toward the eastern horizon at some distance by now.

I might have merely heard the normal sonic boom when it came over at 0805, and the destructive noise was a latter event, but it sure did create concern in this person regardless. No reason to post but to share closer up experience with the rest of y'all. I'm guessing that SPetty should have a much closer review being further east...sid

Barbara
02-01-2003, 10:43 AM
Was probably the shuttle blowing up.

The Space Shuttle Columbia blew up upon rentry this morning.

My prayers and thoughts go out to the crewmen and their families.

Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sid_Vicious
02-01-2003, 11:01 AM
It was ominous to see the jet trail on TV and then walk out and see it creeping into the distance. Sadness, and a unique feeling of awe at the same time. I sound dramatic here, but I laid in bed on purpose after hearing the boom and rumble to see if the emergency sirens would sound. In these times, I wondered more about whether I'd have a nuclear wind and southern wind patterns to be concerned with...sid

TomBrooklyn
02-01-2003, 12:29 PM
I heard about it from your post, Sid, and went to the TV to see about the sad news. It is a sad day for America and a time to renew our appreciation for the brave and noble souls who volunteer for the dangerous work of exploring new frontiers in space.
- Tom

eg8r
02-01-2003, 02:26 PM
Hey Sid we were up watching it all happen also. We had trouble really seeing a whole lot since we are farther west but since the sky is so clear we were able to see it. I have watched many many space shuttle launches living only about 45 minutes from the cape. Now we come out here and get the worst eye opening we could imagine. I remember the Challenger and saw that happen also and this is just as devastating.

Our prayers are with the families that have lost their loved ones today.

eg8r

SPetty
02-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Hi Sid,

Yeah, we heard it. The spouse watched it live on TV on channel 8. When it was shown live, it wasn't immediately apparent that there was a problem. He lamented that he didn't know about it ahead of time, because he's seen the shuttle pass over before and thinks it's neat to watch, but he thought it was too late to see anything.

A few minutes later, I heard what sounded like a sonic boom, and some rumbling, and at least two more sonic boom noises. So I mentioned, "hey, it might not be too late" and he went out and saw the trail in the sky. Again, it wasn't apparent that there was a problem.

It wasn't until a little later that we realized what happened. Very tragic.

I don't know what the news coverage is across the US or elsewhere, but all local television stations here covered this story all day long. There are local news crews scattered all over east Texas telling stories and showing pieces of the shuttle. A piece crashed into a dentist's office, and it possibly caused a fire in an apartment building, but no one has apparently been hurt by the falling debris. People are being advised to not touch the stuff and to call the authorities, but people are gathering their own special sick souvenirs and at one point, there was debris listed on eBay with a starting bid of $10K.

Rod
02-02-2003, 12:43 AM
Sid,
A sad day for everyone and especially the famlies of the crew. When I lived in Tucson I went atop the business roof and took pictures of the shuttle. It come in piggy back on a 747. I always looked forward to seeing its black nose come in as it was their first refuel after leaving Edwards AFB. That sad day in 1986 put a temporary end to my and many other americans dreams of exploring space. Now this tragic event is yet another set back. It's been 17 years and we learn from our mistakes. The cost of human life is indeed a high price to pay. Just sharing a small portion of my thoughts but I wonder what the life span is on the shuttle? By that I mean how many missions can it fly before it should be replaced. B52's are still flying but they don't travel at 12,000 MPH either. Just thinking.

Karatemom
02-02-2003, 03:23 AM
It was all over the news, all day long, up here. This being the first time that the shuttle has exploded while landing, there will definitely be some controversy about why. I feel horrible for the Israeli astronaut, and the other 6 Americans. They risk their lives for our country everytime they go up. It's a shame that it happened, again. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of the astronauts and their families.

Heide and family

Sid_Vicious
02-02-2003, 09:00 AM
"By that I mean how many missions can it fly before it should be replaced."

I wondered the same thing, and also I wondered about the contractors(lowest bidder) integrety these days. With the "budget belts" getting tighter everywhere, who know if the space program gets it's share of neglect in absolute quality as time goes on. The threshold of a critical mistake in the shuttles case is not that high, not flying at those speeds...sid