PDA

View Full Version : What Game are you Best at ?

bigbro6060
02-02-2003, 05:30 AM
what cuesports game are you best at ?

8ball, 9ball, straight pool, ? Snooker, billiards, 3 cushion ?

Karatemom
02-02-2003, 10:40 AM
I would have to say that I'm best at 8 ball. I can't run a table in 9 ball and there doesn't seem to be enough strategy in that game for me. I really like one pocket, but just started playing that game. I don't play a whole lot of straight pool and have never played billiards or 3C.

Heide

NH_Steve
02-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Let me think about that for about 1/1000 of a second ...
ONE POCKET!!!

One Pocket -- the reason I play pool -- hell, one of the big reasons I love my life!
(One of them, anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Jon from MN
02-02-2003, 01:48 PM
with the small mind I have its easier to play just 1-hole LOL love 1 hole but 14.1 is my passion Jon know some great 1 hole players and will travel.

snipershot
02-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Eight ball without a doubt, there's plenty of strategy involved in close games and I thrive on playing those "chess-game" type of matches where it's as much a battle of brains as it is skill, nine ball isn't far behind in second, but I know for a fact I'm a better eight ball player.

fast_eddie_B
02-02-2003, 04:01 PM
I feel I am best at nine ball. There is no challege to 8 ball, and I hate it when you go somewhere, let's just say a bar, and there is a bunch of invalids who challege you to a game, yet have no clue of the true rules of 8 ball. 8 ball is a beginners game, almost anyone can learn to play it well, it doesn't require alot of cue ball skill, just mostly simple shot patterns and knowledge of where the cue is going. Nine ball is like chess in a way, there are only so many things that can happen and the bottom line is you either get out or you play safe and hide real real well. Otherwise you should(deserve to)lose.
Straight pool is really the developmental game to play. It develops nerves, nerves of steel and focus and dedication and concentration. It's the only game where a guy can sit for over an hour watching his opponent run a hundred plus and finally get to the table only to play a safe. So, I believe, this game is the game that needs to be revived in all our young ones who are growing up in our pool halls everyday. Pool is a lifestyle, not just a sport. Alot of kids use it as there crutch to survive they're horrible lives.

02-02-2003, 04:40 PM
I like 9 ball especially since there is never a discrepancy about the rules, as compared to 8 ball

Tom_In_Cincy
02-02-2003, 05:14 PM
14.1 then One Pocket.. the rest I will play... only if my opponents won't play 14.1 or One Pocket..

Third is 9 ball banks.. love that game too..

Jay M
02-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Hmmm....

Favorite to play is 14.1, 3 cushion is next

You're most likely to see me playing 9 ball though. It seems that there are VERY few 14.1 players that will play me in this area. It's not that I'm a great 14.1 player, I'm not. It's just that the really skilled 14.1 players aren't out at the same times I am. They are mostly daytime players due to the room conditions (quiet, not much traffic, etc.)

I've always pretty much despised 8 ball as a serious game. it seems that the game rarely has any strategy to it and if you get out of position, there's usually another ball to use to get back in line. That's fine with a long game like 14.1, but with a short rack, it means that just about anyone with a degree of skill is getting out if they make a ball on the break and, if not, the opponent is out.

Jay M

Mike H
02-02-2003, 08:44 PM
I'd have to say either one-hole, banks (either short or full rack), or 9-ball is my best. I also play a pretty respectable game of 14.1 (my high run is 131), have run a couple 8's in 3-c, have never played snooker but had some pretty interesting ring 10-ball games on a snooker table, and avoid 8-ball at all costs.

cheesemouse
02-02-2003, 08:55 PM
No doubt about it. 9-BALL with a forced smattering of 8-ball. Years ago I use to love the golf game on a snooker table but I moved to an area that has no snooker tables.

02-02-2003, 09:18 PM
I would say my most consistent game would be straight pool,mainly because it is what I play 90% of the time.Next would be 8 Ball due to league play,then 9 Ball in tournaments.One of my favorite games is Banks,mostly due to my admiration of "The Bear".Naturally,if you know Louisiana,you gotta know "One Hole".I have played some 3C and dabbled at Snooker,but alas,I haven't time to dedicate to them with vigor.
One of the posts said we should develop our younger players toward straight pool,I agree.
This is my first post and I enjoy everyones comments. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

02-02-2003, 11:20 PM
I'm alittle better at eight ball merely because it takes less cue ball controll.it was the first game i learned how to play so i have had most practice with it.how ever i will not play eight ball for money because there are so many people who have there own dam rules of how the game is played.so nine ball is the money game in my eyes.i love 14.1 never played for money but have played many times for three days straight very interesting game.

Steve - Detroit
02-03-2003, 08:03 PM
I am amazed by how many of you say straight pool is your best game. I can't say its my best but its definitely my favorite. I find it difficult to find others that play it but after reading this post, at least I know you're out there.

Chris Cass
02-04-2003, 12:09 AM
A Jack of all and an Ace at none.

Regards,

C.C.~~it all depends on the spot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

HalSmith
02-04-2003, 05:26 AM
One-Pocket is there any other game where you get to match your total skills of ball control,shot making and imagination.

Rich R.
02-04-2003, 05:53 AM
I can't say which is my best game, as I'm equally bad at all of them.
As for favorite game, please add my name to the list for straight pool.

Kato
02-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Much like Rich I'm not what anybody would consider a good player but my favorite is straight pool. I don't really play that much though. The game I play the most is 9-ball (my second favorite). The only reason I play 8 ball is to hang out with my friends.

Kato

Pizza Bob
02-04-2003, 08:39 AM
Best at? Forget that! Favorite? That's a different story. Hands down it's snooker on a 12' x 6' table. Since those are hard to come by - and even when you do you either can't find an opponent or the table is monopolized by Golf players - I guess 14.1 and one-pocket tie for second. Enjoy 8 ball, but play it very little and probably enjoy 9 ball least, but play it the most - go figure.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Wally_in_Cincy
02-04-2003, 08:42 AM
Also add me to the list for 14.1 as favorite game. Best game is probably 8-ball since that is what I play most frequently.