PDA

View Full Version : pool hall brunswick, at least 35 years old- model?

dmgwalsh
02-02-2003, 03:44 PM
I've been looking to get a new pool table. My wife said we could probably get a light from her brothers that their dad had with his table that no one was using. I looked at the light and started questioning them about the table under it. It came with the house about 30 years ago. The guy in the house had bought it used from a pool hall. There was a lot of junk on it so I couldn't get a good look. How can I determine what model it is? Do you think it might be worth moving and recovering? Any tips to help me see if it's a diamond in the rough. Dennis

Ken
02-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Look at how the rails are bolted to the table. The older tables are bolted from the side and the newer tables are bolted down through the slate. If you see bolts under the slate it's probably less than 50 years old.

If it's an old Brunswick the rail plate (nameplate) at the head of the table will be one of the replacement plates available at Mueller's. Check to see if it's like any that they sell. Here's one that was used up to 1938:

http://www.poolndarts.com/product.cfm?sku=BP26

You might be able to find the model at Rebco. They have a system where you can find models by leg type or cabinet style:

http://rebcobilliards.com/images/style_page/style_pages/post_1945.htm

You can look for early Brunswick tables at their website:

http://www.brunswick-billiards.com/history/antique_tables/picturegallery.html

KenCT

Harold Acosta
02-02-2003, 08:17 PM
I would take an entire day to remove all the junk on the table and get a good look at it. It may be worth your while...

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

cheesemouse
02-02-2003, 08:48 PM
Do what Harold says. That is just how I got my Brunswich Anniversary for $250 fifteen years ago. You could not buy the thing from me for 3 grand now.

Popcorn
02-02-2003, 08:55 PM
See if you can get a picture of it and post it here. I am sure someone could tell you what it is.

Dafatman
02-02-2003, 10:53 PM
By all means check it out. I had an 8 foot Brunswick Bristol in my house and my son persuaded me to go look at a table in his wife's Grandpa's basement, he wanted to get rid of it...$500 later I owned a Brunswick 9 foot table with a stamp of C-I on the frame. I sent a description off to the Sheehan Family (was no internet then) in Washington state. They wrote me a handwritten letter telling me it was a 1947 Brunswick Anniversary edition, which now sits pristinely in my gameroom at home.

Better yet I responded to an add in a local newspaper of a "9 foot table for sale, you pick up, $400." Seems this young couple had just moved into an "old rich neighborhood" and there was a pool table in their basement that their children kept hitting their heads on when they rode their big wheels. Mom and dad were tired of all the crying so they said just come and get it for $400..and I did. A 1906 Madison 9 footer that had come out of an old pool hall here in town years ago. I'm storing that one waiting on one of my kids to get into a house someday that would accomodate it. Sometimes I think that may never come about LOL So by all means CHECK OUT THE TABLE!!!!! Good Luck.

#### leonard
02-03-2003, 09:46 AM
If you read my post in his other post about buying pool tables. I wrote about the fellow that got a Brunswick Pfister, the table he first called me on was buying a Brunswick Bristol. I told him wait for an old table. What a small pool world.####

dmgwalsh
02-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the info fellas. I'll get back over to the house and take a closer look. I'll probably call someone and find out price to move and possibly recover. Anything else I might need to do? Might I need to get the rails reconditioned or something like that if they don't act right? thanks

NH_Steve
02-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Any of you old Brunswick experts know how to date by serial numbers? I have an old 4-1/2 x 9 Brunswick 'Popular' that has four slates. I'm assuming that means pretty old. I picked it up about 25 years ago as a billiard table, and had it converted to pool (sorry, purists, but I had to -- 'spose I could have just had them cut in one pocket, though /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

CarolNYC
02-04-2003, 08:01 AM
Hi there,
I have a 1911 Monarch Brunswick-Balke-Collender-drop-pocket!
Under the long rails, there should be a model number stamped into the wood,so go under the table and look along the long rails-I did that, and sent the model# to Brunswick for info regarding my table-(my table bolts into from side,is 3-piece slate)-2 of the pieces are original slates because old slate has a dull,chalky type of consistency where as new slate is
a brighter grey color and I only learned that from the man who put my table together! Good luck!
Carol

Ken
02-04-2003, 08:35 AM
It might be a good idea to hold off on recovering the rails until you play with it some. You can always bring them somewhere and have them done later if it's an old table and the rails come off in 6 seperate pieces.

The problem is that you might not care for the large pocket size (5 1/4 inch) on the old tables. If the cushions are not too good it doesn't make sense to recover them without trying them first. After many recoverings a lot of wood is lost from the bottoms of the rails. You might find that they are too low and the balls tend to fly off the table. You chould be able to send a ball 4 rails side to side with a moderate stroke without the ball flying off.

The bottoms of the rails can be built up back to normal size without much trouble. The pockets can be tightened but that involves adding wood to the ends and then installing longer cushions. That's a bit of work and it would be best to try the table as is to see if any of that needs to be done.

It's no big deal to staple the old cloth back on and see how it plays for a few weeks. You could get someone who knows what he's doing to level it and do the bed cloth either new cloth or the old cloth leaving the rails to be done later. If it's a fairly new table it might not need much work
KenCT