PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped tournaments

fast_eddie_B
02-02-2003, 04:39 PM
My question to all is, do handicapped tournaments allow a person to progress when they are the best playing? I have my own opinion, but I would like to hear yours.

fast_eddie_B

Tom_In_Cincy
02-02-2003, 04:48 PM
I have mixed emotions about Handicapped tournaments.. although I have played in many, I like the heads up races the best.

In a handicap tournament, I feel that I have to play above my usual skill level to have a chance at wining. This is good practice for those matches where you have to come from behind. I also like the challenge of being down and coming from behind to win.

But, handicaps are difficult to judge. I have played in these tournaments where I have to give up games to players that I don't have to win when we play heads up.

But, it boils down to the challenge. I love a good challenge.

fast_eddie_B
02-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Yeah, my feelings are mixed too. I do believe the, at least semi locally, pool halls need a universal system for handicaps. It would be great if the 99 game handicap thing would fly, but i don't ever see that happening.
For example, at a local parlor where i live, i am ranked a negative 3, now my buddy bruce is a negative 1 there, so i have to give him the 7 ball in 9 ball. We gamble even by the way. Anyways, when we go up to moosic to play at Arena billiards, I am a two there and he is a negative 2 there, so he has to give me the 5 ball. Now, this is because of my previous success and his successes. We have both dominated in different places and I haven't been in the area for a few years, but this is an example of an exploit in the ranking systems.

Troy
02-02-2003, 06:14 PM
I am a TD using the USPPA handicap (average) system. The maximum "spot" is two games less than the race; ie, a 3 game spot in a race to 5. Since I've been doing this for years, I have a fairly good feel for a players ability (average) and I adjust averages as necessary to result in fair matches. What many people do not understand is that it is an average and playing over or under that average during any given match can provide unusual results.

Troy

L.S. Dennis
02-02-2003, 07:57 PM
I too have been in the USPPA and NPL for years now. Both systems have their benifits and draw backs. Obviously the draw back to the USPPA is the score sheets which nobody seems to like and for good reason. The draw back to the NPL is the crazy handicapp scoring system that keeps all the better players away. Isn't it time to combine these two systems and use the best aspects of both of them?

The other evening where I play there was a USPPA match in which the poor scorekeeper kept score for these two opponents and had to score 63 s's (or safties) for this match. Now this is ridiculous he was squealing like a stuffed pig by the end of the match. Yes it's high time to do away with the scoresheets in the USPPA!!!

Troy
02-02-2003, 08:07 PM
You keep harping on the USPPA yet I don't find your name in the database meaning you are either using a phony name or you haven't been a member for quite some time.

For your information, the algorithm used as the basis for the USPPA system requires INPUT that can only be derived from some form of score keeping.

JEEZ...... If you dislike the USPPA so much, simply STAY AWAY. Meanwhile, it is expanding.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> I too have been in the USPPA and NPL for years now. Both systems have their benifits and draw backs. Obviously the draw back to the USPPA is the score sheets which nobody seems to like and for good reason. The draw back to the NPL is the crazy handicapp scoring system that keeps all the better players away. Isn't it time to combine these two systems and use the best aspects of both of them?

The other evening where I play there was a USPPA match in which the poor scorekeeper kept score for these two opponents and had to score 63 s's (or safties) for this match. Now this is ridiculous he was squealing like a stuffed pig by the end of the match. Yes it's high time to do away with the scoresheets in the USPPA!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Alfie
02-02-2003, 10:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> I too have been in the USPPA and NPL for years now. Both systems have their benifits and draw backs. Obviously the draw back to the USPPA is the score sheets which nobody seems to like and for good reason. The draw back to the NPL is the crazy handicapp scoring system that keeps all the better players away. Isn't it time to combine these two systems and use the best aspects of both of them? <hr /></blockquote> Not at all. Why corrupt the fairest handicapped system going?

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=19990601191555.03869.00007598@ng-cr1.aol.com

Alfie
02-02-2003, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
USPPA and NPL <hr /></blockquote> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=20000914170630.28977.00002898@ng-cg1.aol.com

L.S. Dennis
02-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Troy, I'm sure that YOU should know being a tournament director that you first need to know my full name or identification number BEFOE you can find me in the data base! I hope you are a better tournament director than you are somneone gifted with logic and common sense! Man unbeleivable! Just for your infomation I've been with the USPPA since 1988 or there abouts and one last thing in talking with people within the system since that period of time I'm not the only one with the complaints I've expressed on this.