PDA

View Full Version : Dale Perry or Dave Kikel (Not so sneaky pete)?

BrakenRun
02-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Thinking of buying one of these cues. Don't know which to buy right now. Can I get some opinions and comments on these two cues please? Thanks for your help. Brakenrun /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

02-03-2003, 12:11 AM
I haven't played with cues made by either of these cuemakers. However, if you decide to go with Dale Perry you should look on ebay. I try to keep up with the custom cues offered on ebay, because I have seen some great deals. I recently bought a Jacoby cue from ebay for 300$. Then a week later I saw Dale Perry offering a great looking "not so sneaky pete" that went for 225$. I was hesitant at first, as I had never bought anything from ebay. However, it turned out to be a wonderful deal and an even more wonderful cue. The Jacoby definately beat down my Viking(tho for a hundred bucks, the viking was a great cue.)

I have seen alot of dale perry cues on ebay, and there are usually a few on there being sold by dale perry himself. I think his user name is dperry, but could be wrong. Good luck on your hunt.

JPB
02-03-2003, 12:22 AM
I can't comment on your exact question, but I had Dave Kikel make a shaft for a foreign made/supplied Willie Hoppe I have. This was in the late '80's. I thought he was professional and did a good job on the shaft. He did it with a kind of custom taper and the cue plays better than it has a right to really. I have never played with a Kikel or Dale Perry cue tho.

02-03-2003, 10:23 PM
Just curious how you came to narrow your cue choices to these 2? Don't get me wrong, they are both excellent choices, but they're certainly not common in our neck of the woods. I think Kikel does most of his work by hand, and I know Perry utilizes CNC. I think Perry's cues are less expensive, and I've heard good thinks about the hit.

BrakenRun
02-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Not particular reason other than I have seen both of there cues on the net and just liked their look. I don't how they hit at all. Just curious about there cues. I like cues without a wrap and really like the look of really nicely grained wood. Kevin

SpiderMan
02-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Kevin,

I also prefer a cue with no wrap. After a lot of looking, I decided to have a custom cue made for me by Mike Erwin. He was Bob Meucci's first employee back in the early '70s, and ran the Meucci shop until going out on his own in the mid '80s.

He's making me a cue with no wrap, grip area is heavily figured cocobolo and the forearm and butt cap are cannelite. Here's a picture from about a month ago, Mike's son Scott is holding the cue. Not all of the inlays were in yet and there's no joint and no finish, but you can see the beauty of the wood. The finished cue will be 60 inches and about 20 ounces, two shafts, capped/threaded ferrules, and black water buffalo tips over red pads.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/Erwin+Cue&.src=ph&.dnm=Cocobolo+Cue.jpg&.view=t&.d one

Mike said that he always starts two cues for each order to avoid delays in event of a mishap. The second cue will have slightly different inlays to avoid duplication. It will be available in about a month if you're interested. If you want to see a high-resolution photo you can private-message me and send an email address.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BrakenRun:</font><hr> Not particular reason other than I have seen both of there cues on the net and just liked their look. I don't how they hit at all. Just curious about there cues. I like cues without a wrap and really like the look of really nicely grained wood. Kevin <hr /></blockquote>

tateuts
02-04-2003, 01:22 PM
I have a Dale Perry I bought on E-Bay. The cue plays really great and his workmanship is flawless. It has a relatively thin handle, a little forward weighted, a stiff but not at all harsh or noisy hit. I like the unilock but make sure it's tight when you play - they come unscrewed easily. His cue feels like a Schon in your hands. I love Dale's burl cues - they come up on e-bay every once in a while, and go for the higher bucks. He lists about 3 cues a week, and if you're patient, you'll get a great deal.

Good luck,

Chris