PDA

View Full Version : Medium and hard tips compared

02-03-2003, 06:55 AM
Soft tips are out of the question, I go through those way too fast. But how would the durability and playability compare between medium and hard tips?

Sid_Vicious
02-03-2003, 08:28 AM
You've asked a subject nearly as deep as religion or politics. My likes are in the hard to X-hard tips. Every move I made up was a new stopping point until I went harder. I personally feel that if you are miscuing, or can't produce the english, that you should chalk better or more importantly that your stroke needs work. Lastly, don't pic and scuff your tips to death! Just because it becomes shiny doen't mean it won't make a hit(with chalk of course.) I was asked for a scuffer twice this weekend, both time I said "I don't believe in 'em" and got an instant discussion going about shiny tips and not being able to hold chalk. Even a piece of glass will hold chalk if you apply it properly.

Ok, I've surely stirred the "Medium Pool Gods" by now. Time to wait for the incoming arrow...sid

Pizza Bob
02-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Sid:
Actually I'm on your side. Although not using real hard tips, I, too, don't believe in picking or scuffing the tips. My playing cue, which has considerable time on it, is still equipped with the original Moori MH tips that it was built with five years ago. They have never even mushroomed - made me a believer. I have also used triangles - although not with nearly as much playing time, with similar results. I chalk after every shot, but even if I forget, it usually doesn't result in a miscue. Maybe mine is a unique experience, but I've never had a problem and it works for me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

HalSmith
02-03-2003, 12:25 PM
I don't know how much you play so I am not disagreeing with you . I play in hours about 16-20 hours a week I pic my triangle tip about once every 2 weeks. I tried the real hard tips,Killer,but didn't like it as much. Harold Smith

02-03-2003, 02:53 PM
I play 3.5-4.5 hours per day and very rarely scuff the tip (maybe once in the tip's lifetime). I chalk after every shot. It's rediculous how fast I go through soft tips.

bluewolf
02-03-2003, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> Soft tips are out of the question, I go through those way too fast. But how would the durability and playability compare between medium and hard tips? <hr /></blockquote>

This has certainly given me food for thought. In fact I was thinking of asking this too. Will go back to reading about this now.

bw

Rod
02-03-2003, 07:50 PM
As a suggestion, I think the most important concern should be how the tip plays. That's how you feel the shot. Either med or hard should have a reasonable lifespan. I can't see one lasting much longer than the other.

02-03-2003, 09:21 PM
I like a hard tip but,also believe a tip can be to hard.i like a medium hard tip it will last plenty long enough for me.i have had my stick for 7 years and have only had to change the tip once.so i consider that a pretty good life span for a tip.